Delvac 1 or Mobil 1 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragboat,

I think the level of sulphated ash might be more of an issue in terms of fouling spark plugs and higher combustion chamber deposits that could lead to pinging.

Greg,

For a high mileage, severly worn gas engine, I'd probably run Mobil 1, 15w-50 in hot weather and their 0w-40 in cold weather ....

Check the specs on these oils......M1 Delvac 1 is quite a bit thicker at 40F (106 for D1 vs. 80 for M1) but has the same viscosity as M1 0W-40 at 100F (both around 14.5) based on static viscosity values. Flash point and pour point are much better for the M1 0W-40. I am sure the Delvac 1 has the much better detergent and additive package since it is a diesel/commercial oil. I'd go with the M1 0W-40
quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Good question. I have been pondering that one. I went with the Delvac for a couple reasons. It is a 5W instead of a 0W. It is more easily obtainable for me, probably. I feel that since it is advertised as a 60K oil change oil (I realize sumps are bigger in trucks)extended changes would be applicable. Bearings in truck diesels take more of a pounding than cars.

On the up side for the 0W-40 the oil is formulated for a gasoline engine. The 0W-40 has a great reputation. I have heard lots of good anecdotal things about it. Don't know about the moly.

To sum it up??
dunno.gif

[ November 29, 2002, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Alex D ]

To: Alex D. Which WalMarts in central Iowa carry Mobil Delvac 1? None in my area of Minnesota carry Delvac 1, but I usually get down to central Iowa a couple times a year. Thanks.

pmt.......I am sorry, I srewed up and got stuff mixed up. WalMart here sells Rotella Synthetic for $3.35...they do also sell Delvac 1300, but I don't know for how much....sorry for my mistake.
quote:

Originally posted by pmt:
To: Alex D. Which WalMarts in central Iowa carry Mobil Delvac 1? None in my area of Minnesota carry Delvac 1, but I usually get down to central Iowa a couple times a year. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back