Delvac 1 Good For 15,000km's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we have lots of knowledgeable people, I want to confirm what I've been told now by 2-3 different individuals...

Is Mobil Delvac 1 oil good to last 15,000km's? I currently drive an 2003 Audi A4 1.8T. I have 10,000km's on it now and was hoping to setup my oil changes in such a way that they lined up with my service intervals...

I was going to change my oil now, and then again at 15,000km's and from there on in just change it at every 15k service with Delvac 1. Any feedback would be appreciated.

PJStyles

Assuming you do some highway driving to get that engine warmed up I see no reason why not to use this oil in those intervals. Maybe a UOA or two would help back that up and make you feel at ease.

Depends on how you define "Good". Some are more picky about UOAs then others. Delvac 1 is as capable of extended drains as they come so it's a good choice. You really need to sample the oil to see how well it is holding up. Many variables effect the oil's performance and have nothing to do with the oil itself.

What are your driving habits? Mostly stop and go, highway or a mix? UOA would be a good way to go if you want to go 15K kms.

Delvac 1 is an exceptional HDEO for fleet use. I've used it a long time with excellent results. Though the latest CI-4 spec formulation is quite a bit thicker at low temps, especially colder than -30 C.

In most cases, the oil filter gives out before the oil does. I'm not sure if Audi designs their filter systems to take that into account.

Otherwise I'd run a bypass filter. Then 15,000km no problem, maybe even much longer.

I have a 1984 Ford F-150 with 302 V8 that I bought new. It has run all its life on Delvac 1 5W-40. Early on I installed a bypass filter and now run a Gulf Coast bypass filter system.

I would change the primary filter twice a year, the bypass once a year, and the oil every 2-3 years. Currently have 528,000km on that old truck.

My 2000 GMC Sierra with Vortec 5.3 litre V8 may be a candidate for similar treatment.

Jerry

Oil Analysis is your friend!
tongue.gif
And btw, Delvac 1 wasn't available in 1984 i dont think
confused.gif
confused.gif
I use Tp elements in my motorguard on my 1995 truck. What element do you use for the filter??

[ March 07, 2004, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: therion ]

quote:

Originally posted by therion:
Oil Analysis is your friend!
tongue.gif
And btw, Delvac 1 wasn't available in 1984 i dont think
confused.gif
confused.gif
I use Tp elements in my motorguard on my 1995 truck. What element do you use for the filter??

Here we go again with somebody telling me that the oil I've used for +20 years does NOT exist.

I first became aware of it in 1978 when my uncle, a mechanic at the local school board, told me about the Mobil Delvac 1 field trial they were taking part in.

Good thing I keep all my old lube brochures, though I doubt you'll believe it anyway.

The Esso supplement dated Sept '81 is called "The Cold War: Lubrication in subzero weather has a special set of rules."

Esso mentions that they are the exclusive Canadian distributor of Mobil 1 and Delvac 1, and product descriptions and test results are on pages 4-5, 7, 9-11, and 21.

Back then, Delvac 1 was a 5W-30.

The Esso lubericants supplement "Under The Hood: A lubrication guide for Canadian fleets" and dated 1985, also mentions Mobil Delvac 1 on P 8:

"We can also supply you with Mobil Delvac 1 for good mileage and superb low-temperature performance. In many parts of Canada, its low temperature capability alone makes Delvac 1 worth the extra cost."

Just because you never heard of it until BITOG came along, or until Wally World started carrying it, does NOT mean it hasn't been around a long time.

Don't take it from me. Call EM yourself at 1-800-662-4525, press the key for "commercial lubricants," and ask a tech support person yourself.

I've never done a UOA on that Ford. With 528,000km on the clock, the lowest compression is around 135, squirt in oil and the compression is 160.

Have always used Ford FL-1A and now Ford CFL-1 primary filters with Gulf Coast bypass.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back