DELVAC-1 ATF

I found a thread on BITOG and one user claimed this D1 ATF is Yellow Metal compatible.

I have not been able to locate any supporting documents or other posts that make a similar claim.

Can anyone tell me if the DELVAC-1 ATF is safe in a MT with bronze synchros calling for Dexron-III ATF?

Attachments

• 539B8596-12FD-4414-9C79-2B26E11B9B9E.jpeg
    539B8596-12FD-4414-9C79-2B26E11B9B9E.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 9
Should be because it's TES-468, according to an ex-Allison engineer it is apparently mostly to address any holes in the TES-295 spec that may be corrosive to cuprous metals.
1615513483945.jpg

Would the D1 ATF also contain the proper “Friction Modification Chemistry” for Synchros?

I am considering the DELVAC-1 ATF in an application where many owners have been using M1 ATF for several years and miles successfully.
I just happen to have access to D1 and the cSt are similar between the M1 and D1 ATFs.

Thankyou.

MolaKule,
I am focusing on the ZF-5 and ZF-6 Manual Transmissions found in various GM & Ford vehicles in the 1990-2004 era.

1989-1996 Corvette (ZFS6-40):

1998-2008 Chevy Duramax 6.6 (ZF-6/650)
(no oil cooler or pump & steeper cut gears than Ford version below).

1987-1999 Ford F-250/F-350 (ZF-5)
1998-2010 Ford F-250/F-350 (ZF-6/650)
(w/internal oil pump & external oil cooler).

The reason I am considering the DELVAC-1 ATF is cost savings AND a curiosity of the different chemistries between M1 ATF and D1 ATF for use in this ZF-6 Manual Transmission.

GM called for Transynd ATF which is more viscous. Is this because it ran at hotter temperatures since it lacked an external cooler?)

Ford called for DEX/MERC ATF.

Last edited:
MolaKule,
This was a great thread describing Friction Modifiers...thanks.

Have the fluid analyzed and report back the results, but I seriously doubt it has the proper FM.

What is the vehicle and transmission?

I am asking this question to gain insight and not as an attempt to doubt or argue...what is it in the DELVAC-1 literature that leads you to think it might not contain proper FMs?

Thanks

I am asking this question to gain insight and not as an attempt to doubt or argue...what is it in the DELVAC-1 literature that leads you to think it might not contain proper FMs?

Thanks
Thanks for the clarification and I think I understand your concerns.

The Delvac-1 application is for HD automatic transmissions: Mobil Delvac 1 ATF is a fully synthetic fluid recommended by Allison Transmission, Inc. approved against the Allison TES-295 Specification. The fluid is designed to meet the demanding requirements of modern heavy duty automatic transmissions. The synthetic base oil composition enables excellent performance even in some of the harshest of operating conditions. It offers outstanding gear shifting and power transfer performance.

The friction modification chemistry in ATF's is for wet clutches and is different than for MTF's. MTF's for Light Truck and passenger vehicles usually contain high dosages of a special calcium and or magnesium chemistry to insure the proper COF for engagement and disengagement of the synchronizer. While Delvac-1 would be safe for copper-alloy (phosphor-bronze) synchronizer assemblies, it does not contain the proper FM for MT's.

ZF6TechInfo said:
TRANSMISSION OIL (status) - Vascular flow of oil through the porous Phosphorus-bronze (Pb) material of each synchronizer is essential for effective British Thermal Unit (BTU) heat exchange occurrence. Frequent transmission oil changes will ensure lower Pb particle levels suspended in the oil. The ZF S6-40 6-speed transmission is lubricated by engine type oil. Manufacturer recommendations specify the use of GM P/N 1052931 (5w-30) or BMW P/N 07510009420 (10w-60) oil.
Approximate oil capacity of the ZF S6-40 is 2.2 quarts....

The information here is somewhat contradictory. The GM P/N 1052931 was originally a 7.7 cSt@100C ATF fluid with a 'bumped-up' phosphorus level, whereas a 5w-30 viscosity MTF ranges between 9 and 10.5 cSt with the special calcium and or magnesium chemistry.

This group of MTL’s are in the 9.X to 10.5 cSt range (SAE 75W80):

1. Redline MTL 75W80 (10.4 cSt according to https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/files/tech/MTL_GO_PROD_INFO_2020.pdf
2. Amsoil MTF (10.1 cSt according to ( https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/lit/databulletins/g2080.pdf )
3. GM Synchromesh’s (approx. 10.5 cSt)
4. Volvo MTF 645
5. Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 synthetic MTF
6. Lodexol (Morris Lubricants) MTF
7. Motylgear 75W-80

The BMW recommendation for an equivalent 75W90 MTF is possibly for a higher horsepower/higher torque engine in front of the MT.

Last edited:
Back