Delvac 1 5w40 cold cranking is like m1 10w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I was looking at data sheets I have for delvac 1 and mobil 1, and its quite confusing to see delvac 1 have a cold cranking rating of a 10w, when it is rated 5w! I also included the cold pumping ratings which have a similar trend.
I don't blame the 40w for the higher CCS, because you can see the 0w40 is not much higher than the 0w30.

Maybe its because Delvac 1 is not as friction modified, but then, the cold pumping ratings show that it is harder to pump than a 5w (assuming -5 degrees doubles the rating, then its practically the same as the 10w's pumpability).

Also, I wonder what the cold cranking rating is for the German Syntec 0w30?

crank-cranking viscosity Cp pump-pumping viscosity cP
d1
5w40 crank 3200@-25° pump 20500@-35°

m1
10w30 crank 3848@-25° pump 10250@-30°

5w30 crank 3600@-30° pump 12700@-35°

0w30 crank 3800@-35° pump 16250@-40°

0w40 crank 4301@-35° pump 21700@-40°

quote:

Originally posted by robnitro:

Also, I wonder what the cold cranking rating is for the German Syntec 0w30?

Cold Cranking Vis @ -30*C: 3200

I'm not sure why Castrol Europe lists the specs like that though, considering to be a 0w oil it's cold cranking test is done at -35C.

Although I couldn't verify your numbers. The requirement is that a 5W oil is less than 6600 cP at -30C and a 10W is less than 7000 cP at -25C. So by Definition Delvac will be able to meet the -30C spec. It is quite possible that Mobil 10W-30 may meet that spec also. But again the 10W is rated ay -25C

Viscosity Specs Select "Handbook" then "Viscosity"
smile.gif

I was able to determine both D-1 5W-30 and M-1 10W-30 both pour at -45C. So ther are close to equal at low temps (or maybe identical
smile.gif
)

[ October 18, 2003, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

Al,

Delvac 1 is just under the 5wt limit in terms of cold cranking properties, but the M1, 10w-30 is well below the 10wt limit. Delvac 1 uses a higher molecular weight basestock blend to optimize the high temp properties. There is always a tradeoff in formulation chemistry and in this case you give up a bit of flow at the cold end.

Ted

Thanks Ted btw-I found this on the Mobil 1 site:

"Can Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ and Mobil Delvac 1 be mixed?
Yes, they are compatible. However, we do not recommend that you intentionally make blends of the two products."

I wonder if Delvac 1 has SuperSyn??

Al,

Delvac 1 is an SAE 5w-40, but the viscosity index is only 151. I suspect it is mostly basestock with very little VI modifier. My impression of the Supersyn PAO is that you can use small amounts of it in place of traditional polymeric thickeners. It's approx a 3000 Cst fluid with a VI up in the 250-300 range, so you can see how this would work when combined with 4 Cst or 6 Cst, PAO fluids ....

Both Delvac 1 and the Mobil 1, 10w-30 are very shear stable, due to this formulation approach. I've always thought they were the best two Mobil formulations.

Ted

quote:

"Can Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ and Mobil Delvac 1 be mixed?
Yes, they are compatible. However, we do not recommend that you intentionally make blends of the two products."

My friend has a mix of D1 and M1 in his Vette now. I think its a good combo.
wink.gif

buster what is the point of mixing 2 quarts of D1 in with the 4 qts. SS?

I would imagine that the little bit of remaining esters that D1 has would be awfuly diluted? I am guessing that the SS is used for the moly and Boron and the D1 is for it's ester content?

Has he had a chance to do UOA on his home brew? I always like to see the UOA of these home brews. So far the Mola-Brew added to M1 wins hands down!

I mix a gallon of D1 and a quart of M1 10w30 in my girlfriends GTP.

Why? Because Delvac 1 is only sold in gallons and I think the small amount of Moly in the M1 would make it a very good combo.

I will be doing an analysis after winter to see how it is working out.

[ October 19, 2003, 02:12 AM: Message edited by: Intelman34 ]

Just out of curiosity- How many gallons of oil do the 10 and 14 liter 18 wheelers hold?? The reason that I am asking is that Mobil has an sae article where they test Delvac 1 to 100K miles in a 14,6 L 435 HP engine. I was thinking of using the formula (by Too Slick) to find an equivalent limit in a smaller engine. Also Too Slick or whoever can you repost the formula??

O.K. at least I found the FORMULA

[ October 19, 2003, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

Intellman34, I can understand that. I have done similar things due to packageing. The way I understood buster post was to mean that his friend purposefuly mix's the two to try to gain some edge in wear reduction or performance!

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
The way I understood buster post was to mean that his friend purposefuly mix's the two to try to gain some edge in wear reduction or performance!

Me too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back