Delvac 1 5W-40/14598 kms/Porsche Boxster 2.7 (986)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
this is the latest Used Oil Analysis result from my Porsche Boxster (986) 2.7ltr Tiptronic

Engine data
M9622 & Tiptronic @ 111650 kms (69335miles)

Operation over 14598kms (9065 miles) - 14+ months
A number of long high speed trips (80%) and a small amount (20%) of Urban running. Revs rarely above 6500

While I was in Europe the car stood idle for about 9 weeks

No top up lubricant was added

Australian Tropics - high humidity (up to 98%)

Lubricant
Mobil's Delvac 1 5w-40 (CI-4/SL)

(Previous Report results shown in brackets)

Lubricant condition
Water = 0.00 (NA)
Fuel = 0.00 (NA)
Viscosity @ 40C = 87 (88) cSt
TBN = NA (6.4)
TAN = 3.3 (NA)
Soot Index = 0.1 (NA)
PQ Index =
Elemental analysis
Iron = 3 (12)
Aluminium = Chromium = Copper = Lead = Potassium = 2 (6)
Silicon = 8 (18 due to gasket sealant)
Sodium = 1 (5)
Tin = Oil consumption = nil

Summary
Whilst the lubricant was obviously still suitable for continued use I changed it and the filter due to an impending long (3500kms/2173miles) high speed journey (now over)

Doug,
How would the M1 5-40 TDT work in my Mercury? Would the 40wt. be too heavy? I am using M1 10-30EP at presant.

Thanks

Hi,
tig1 - If a SAE40 viscosity lubricant is allowed according to the ambient range encountered then it will do very well. However the lubricant you are already using is a very good and widely used product

Personally I always like to use the lightest specified lubricant

I don't use M1 0W-40 in the Boxster as IMHO a slightly higher HTHS viscosity is needed in the early M96 engine series

Pablo - Thanks for your comments

Last edited:
Awesome Doug!
thumbsup2.gif

Probably could have left it for your long journey too...
grin2.gif

Yet another outstanding report by Delvac 1. Pity its so hard to get around here.
frown.gif

Hi,
Leo - Yes it is hard to get - saw some 5ltr containers of ESP at Autobarn in Brisbane the other day - $85!

The OCIs are 20kkms or two years and all my UOAs have shown that to be about right too

Kind regards

There's different versions of this oil,any info??

Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40(Marine)

SAE Grade 5W-40
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 102
cSt @ 100ºC 14.8
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 151
Sulphated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.35
Total Base # , mg KOH/g, ASTM D 2896 12
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -45
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 226
Density @ 15ºC kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.854
http://www.exxonmobil.com/USA-English/Marine/PDS/GLXXENMRNEMMobilDelvac1_5W40.asp?Print=yes

Mobil Delvac 1 SHC 5W-40(Marine)

Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 93
cSt @ 100ºC 14.5
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 172
Sulphated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.8
Total Base # , mg KOH/g, ASTM D 2896 16
crazy2.gif

Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -54
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 226
Density @ 15ºC kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.860
http://www.exxonmobil.com/USA-English/Marine/PDS/GLXXENMRNEMMobil_Delvac_1_SHC_5W-40.asp?Print=yes

The SHC is allegedly only available in bulk. I searched for it in the past. It must be targeted for REALLY BIG USERS in commercial marine usage.

Hi,
daman - Gary is correct about major users!

Delvac 1 5W-40 has been around since the very early 1990s and has been available in many forms - usually formulated to comply with diesel engine makers specifications and to conform with their test protocols

I know many on here don't like my "use what the engine maker Approves" comments but they are built on a very very sound basis of reality

Gary has hit the nail on the head with Marine users who have major used lubricant disposal problems and the overall cost of OCs. Many Commercial operators use good qulaity products like Delvac 1 in order to maximise their OCIs - some may go for "years" without an OC - based on detailed UOAs. In my Class 8 trucks 130kkms (81k miles) was quite easily obtained

I have a friend who is currently readying a "super yacht" after repowering it with 2x C15 CATs (replacing old MTUs) and a major consideration was how to store used oil when doing OCs at sea - not only on the CATs but on the Benz standby and power supply engines. The lubricant used along with a UOA programme will maximise the OCIs for all engines. This is very common stuff

It all comes down to keeping the lubricant clean and within viscosity parameters - Delvac 1 is very very good at the latter and centrifuge oil cleaners are very good at the former! There are other forms of Commercial use lubricant filtration too - many are very costly to install

There are many Commercial users that purchase such lubricants in 10000+ litre orders. Some OCs involve hundreds of litres of lubricant!

So Delvac 1 5W-40 is available in a number of configurations WW - if you seek to use it in your petrol engine always ensure;

a) that it meets the engine maker's specification ( etc) and,
b) that the viscosity is suitable and within the engine maker's recommendations for the ambient spread to be encountered

Delvac products are intended for Commercial consumption and are not always readily available in a "retail" environment

I hope this helps a bit - please note that I have no affiliation with ExxonMobil or any other Oil Company

Hi and thanks Doug/Gary,yes i didn't think you could get this stuff OTC was just curious on the avaliblity and aplications of this oil. Thanks for your info as always!!!

sure would love a few gals of that stuff!
20.gif
LOL.gif

To find Delvac 1 look up your Mobil distributor in the phone book. They have 20-litre drums available (well they used to) which lowers the price significantly. Never buy at retail outlets unless you have money to burn.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
To find Delvac 1 look up your Mobil distributor

yep was working on that now...

anybody have a dist. locator link?
mad.gif
,seem to have lost mine.

Last edited:
Doug,

You have close to 70K on the engine. This last oil sample was taken close to 10K. It looks like the oil could go another 5+K if you had just left it in. Anyway, I was wondering why the iron and copper were so different in the last OCI from the previous? more miles on the previous OCI? The engine is seated so it must be more OCI miles? You also mention silicon because of gasket leach, do these engines leach out that far? 60K?

I know the Boxer is your personal ride, but why not trend the OCI's like you did your commercial diesel engines minus 20% or so? You could have easily taken your 2K high speed trip without a glitch of the oil at the 10K mark.....Are you getting soft?

Last edited:
Hi,
LargeCarManX2 - Yes I suppose I've always been a little soft regarding OCIs. I have gone out to 18mths and trends have shown OCIs of 3 years or 30kkms (19k miles) are possible according to use

My UOA database includes many Porsche 928s (V8s) from all over the world. They show annual OCIs and under say 20kkms (12.5k miles) is an overkill (the recommended OCI is 2 years or 20kkms) This is when using almost any lubricant (Brand & mineral/synthetic) of the correct A3/B3 spec and viscosity

These average figures apply @ 7230kkms/4500k miles Avg OCI
Iron - 9
Alu - 5
Chro - 2
Cop - 6
Lead - 7
Silicon - 7

One 928 S4 is already out to nearly 30kkms (2.5 years) and the lubricant (Delvac 1 5W-40) is well within all parameters (UOAs are taken of course) - this engine has not had a filter change and is Sydney (busy city) based

So, I always draw the line for me at around one year. This also gives me a chance to lift the car(s) and do all the underbody checks that should be done too

The silicon on the previous UOA was due to some gasket sealant (plug tubes) - can't explain the iron & copper but the movements are in all reality very very low

Hope this is of interest

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back