Delvac 1 0w-40 for Polaris 850

Hello I'm brand new here, I read on this forum for years but now I'm officially a new participating member !

So my question is: I have a Polaris sportsman 850xp and I have a basically free stack of Delvac 1 0w-40 and I want to know if it's a good substitute to the ****ty Polaris ps-4 oil.

I'm in Canada, I ride all year long from 30°c (86°f) in summer to -30°c (-22f) in winter.

No plowing, no tracks just plain trail riding

Polaris does not mfg oil, someone does and puts their name on the bottle. He also mentioned that he has a stack pile of this oil. It's fine he runs this oil
Right. I was just asking about his criticism of the product and basically wondering how he came to that determination.

Right. I was just asking about his criticism of the product and basically wondering how he came to that determination.
The ****ty side of it to me is the lack of any specs availability, the confusion they use to sell you the only right oil to run your quad. I want to have a choice to put something else.

Probably the price of ''official Poo" oil for one.
The whole oil distribution system for vehicle manufacturers is based on a marketing ploy called "FUD Factor". Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt, once they instill that they have you due to ignorance, not stupidity, just lack of knowledge. They make it sound like their brand label is the only way to have your vehicle last. When in reality all the manufacturers do is go to the cheapest oil bottler and called it the best.

The whole oil distribution system for vehicle manufacturers is based on a marketing ploy called "FUD Factor". Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt, once they instill that they have you due to ignorance, not stupidity, just lack of knowledge. They make it sound like their brand label is the only way to have your vehicle last. When in reality all the manufacturers do is go to the cheapest oil bottler and called it the best.
Amen.

The ****ty side of it to me is the lack of any specs availability, the confusion they use to sell you the only right oil to run your quad. I want to have a choice to put something else.
Well you should have a choice. Doesn’t the owners manual give you a specification or license?

Manufacturers do not have to list a specification or license on their branded oil if they don’t want to. As long as they say it’s the appropriate oil for the equipment that’s all that’s necessary. It does not have a reflection on the quality.

I don’t ever think I’ve really been quite that cynical. Every piece of equipment I’ve ever owned has listed either a specification, license or approval that is required. Just go out and buy an oil that meets what’s required.

I don’t ever think I’ve really been quite that cynical. Every piece of equipment I’ve ever owned has listed either a specification, license or approval that is required. Just go out and buy an oil that meets what’s required.
Not cynical, just marketing facts.

Back