Delo400 in Ram V10

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Doug:
How big of deal is it to have 15w50 in 20degree weather?

Even gas engine manufacturers state that you can safely use a mineral 15w-40 down to at least 15F, so I see absolutely no problem using a group IV 15w-50 down to 20F.

quote:

Previous Post:

Went to store tonight, saw Chevron Supreme 10w30 for $1.29. Pretty cheap. I'll be running a can of BG MOA for grits and shiggles with every oil change. What's better the Pennz 10w30 or The Chevron? I see Pennz is 'bout $1.92 qt.

Maybe a 5w40 in Chevron? What's the diff btwen Delo 400 and regular Chevron Sup? I know the 15w40 is a HDEO or something like that.

Thanks!

First off...DO NOT run the BG at every oil change! A waste!

If you're gonna pick a 5w-40, I'd suggest Rotella-T that's available at Wally-World for only $12/gallon. There are many different grades (and base oils) of Delo-named engine lubes available, but you're only gonna find HD30 and 15w-40 widely available. You can go through a distributor (jobber), but I find that route very inconvienant and higher priced.

Yes, the 15w-40 is a HDEO (Heavy Duty Engine Oil), and in comparison to Chevron Supreme, has a base oil that is pretty much the same, but obviously has a much different additive package.

In regards to the Chevron and Pennzoil, take your pick...it's pretty much a toss-up. Which bottle looks better?
grin.gif

[ April 28, 2004, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

I can't see the the difference when you speak of Mobil 1..it seems you have enuff knowledge of synthetic....why ask of dino?....
offtopic.gif

Thanks Jelly,

Lemme put it this way, if you owned my truck, what would you run in it? the 5w40 Rotella or Penn/Chev?

Is the Rotella thinner? Could that be more prone to leakingburning?

Thanks man!

Mamala, you ? for Jelly?

quote:

Thanks Jelly,

Lemme put it this way, if you owned my truck, what would you run in it? the 5w40 Rotella or Penn/Chev?

Is the Rotella thinner? Could that be more prone to leakingburning?

Thanks man!

You're most certainly welcome. Myself, like many others on the board, really enjoy helping others out. I'll try to not sound too cheesy here...although I don't make any money from all the time I spend on here, getting a thanks from someone because of a recommendation you made is all I need and makes me feel good that I'm able to help someone out and help them learn at the same time (I'm just a 20year old college student and became interested in lubes I guess a little over a year ago. Reading a few books and spending countless hours on BiTOG have taught me a great deal and I enjoy sharing my "knowledge" with others)

Although some will argue with me on this one, I certainly feel that PCEO mineral based lubes CAN NOT keep an engine clean, so while they can protect an engine on moderate drain intervals, I do not like to recommend them nor will I run them in any vehicle I own.

The 5w-40 Rotella is gonna be thicker than the 10w-30's at operating temperatures, and whereas it is formulated with a superior base oil and better additive package, it's gonna have much improved HT/HS values (High temperature/High shear). Also, being an HDEO, over time, it's gonna clean up your engine a great deal and keep any new varnish/deposits/sludge from forming (Well, even using the best oil some stuff will form, but accumulations will be VERY minimal).

Because of the thicker viscosity and reasons noted in the previous paragraph, you'll also notice lower leaking and consumption levels.

If this was my truck, I'd go over to Wal-Mart and pick up some Rotella 5w-40. You'll probably immediately notice your engine running smoother and being more quiet in comparison to the 10w-30 Valvoline you've been using. Also run a high quality oil filter.

[ April 28, 2004, 01:14 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

Great thanks! I'll be running that! I have a Frantz bypass filter with a Wix (napa gold) fff.

Thanks for explaing all the specs, will be going to the Rotella.
bowdown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back