Delo400 in Ram V10

Status
Not open for further replies.
After doing a search on Delo 400 in gas rigs, I've been convinced to change. Truck has 116k on it. Been thinking of going to it for a while. My question is of the 15w. I live in Denver, Colorado, our winters can get cold. Could in the fall I change back to 10w then in the spring go back to 15w40? How big of deal is it to have 15w50 in 20degree weather?

thansk.

15W-40 should be OK down to about 5F.

I think a 5 or 10W-40 would be better for your winter temps, change back to the 15W-40 for the summer.

Dave

quote:

Originally posted by FL-400S:
I think there might be a 5W40. Maybe someone else can confirm that.

I'm not sure about Delo, but Shell Rotella T synthetic 5w40 is only $12 and change per gal. at my Walmart.

There is a Delo 400 10-30, I've picked it up at a Chevron Distribution Center. Haven't seen anywhere else...

What problems are you having with the factory recommended viscosity of 10W-30?

I've used M1 10W-30 in my '95 Ram V10 since it was new and it works out well. I just wish I could exceed 9 mpg and a heavier oil won't help in that area.

quote:

Originally posted by Doug:
After doing a search on Delo 400 in gas rigs, I've been convinced to change. Truck has 116k on it. Been thinking of going to it for a while. My question is of the 15w. I live in Denver, Colorado, our winters can get cold. Could in the fall I change back to 10w then in the spring go back to 15w40? How big of deal is it to have 15w50 in 20degree weather?

thansk.

seems to use 'bout 3/4 of a quart of oil every 2500 miles. Guy who owned it b4 me ran valv syn. in it. I have been running dino valv with BG MOA additive. Pennzoil? That's a better oil? They still parrifin based?

Delvac 5W-40
worshippy.gif
burnout.gif

Went to store tonight, saw Chevron Supreme 10w30 for $1.29. Pretty cheap. I'll be running a can of BG MOA for grits and shiggles with every oil change. What's better the Pennz 10w30 or The Chevron? I see Pennz is 'bout $1.92 qt.

Maybe a 5w40 in Chevron? What's the diff btwen Delo 400 and regular Chevron Sup? I know the 15w40 is a HDEO or something like that.

Thanks!

THERE IS A DELO 400 10-30
cheers.gif
It comes in quarts if there is a Chevron Distributor near you...Great oil....

not having any trbl with 10w30 using dino Valvoline. just heard that delo 400 is a lot better oil. after doing searches in here, seems like a lot of folks run deloo 400 15w40 in their gas rigs.

quote:

Originally posted by Doug:
not having any trbl with 10w30 using dino Valvoline. just heard that delo 400 is a lot better oil. after doing searches in here, seems like a lot of folks run deloo 400 15w40 in their gas rigs.

In a Colorado climate (gotta be colder than Kentucky), I see no reason to switch to Delo...much better alternatives.

First off, how is consumption?

If you've been using Valvoline 10w-30, then I'd suggest first switching over to Pennzoil or Chevron 10w-30. Better base oil and better additive package.

Next, you could go to a synthetic 10w-30 from someone such as Redline or Amsoil.

Lastly, you could go to an HDEO, but I'd strongly suggest 5w-40 over 15w-40. Rotella-T 5w-40 is available at Wal-Mart for $12/gallon...

Previous Post:

Went to store tonight, saw Chevron Supreme 10w30 for $1.29. Pretty cheap. I'll be running a can of BG MOA for grits and shiggles with every oil change. What's better the Pennz 10w30 or The Chevron? I see Pennz is 'bout $1.92 qt.

Maybe a 5w40 in Chevron? What's the diff btwen Delo 400 and regular Chevron Sup? I know the 15w40 is a HDEO or something like that.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back