Delo XLC in Ford Modular Application

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if anyone happens to use Delo XLC, which appears to be no-silicate, nitrite free and compatible with conventional antifreeze, in a Modular application. Given the engine was initially filled with conventional green, I would assume this is a safe option.

I'm looking for a heavy duty alternative to G-13, which is what I'm using at the moment. John Deere CoolGard-II would have been my first choice, but I'm basically stuck with what's available locally.

I'm running a 180°F thermostat, as well as a high flow water pump, with the PCM configured to turn the fan on at 206°F. However, ambient temperatures at this time are upwards of 120°F, and particularly in traffic, coolant temperatures ranging between 218°F - 224°F is common. I even went as far as removing the plastic trim cover that sits on top of the radiator, which dropped coolant temperature by 4°F to a high of 220°F. When you're moving, the high further drops to 211°F, but that is still high given the fan configuration. The fan works perfectly at full blast, however, unless you pop the hood fully, you will not see temperatures below 215°F at standstill. Although HD coolant will not magically drop coolant temperatures by any means, it would probably be a better option for longer service life and perhaps, to some extent, better protection than something designed for regular duty.

I've not seen XLC here, but with it's SDS indicating use of 2-EHA as an inhibitor (which the Ford modular engines never used, AKA Premium Orange/Dexcool), I think I would stick with Premium Gold/G-05, which also seems to retrofit into a standard green cooling system very easily.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I've not seen XLC here, but with it's SDS indicating use of 2-EHA as an inhibitor (which the Ford modular engines never used, AKA Premium Orange/Dexcool), I think I would stick with Premium Gold/G-05, which also seems to retrofit into a standard green cooling system very easily.

Thank you for the heads up, I looked into it a bit more and it sure uses 2-EHA, which takes this option off the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back