Delo as Factory Fill for Daimler Trucks North America

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, just scrolling around and saw this news story. Delo was chosen as factory fill for Daimler Trucks North America in Oct. 2018. Thought that was interesting because a few days ago, I was going through the history of Mobil Delvac on their website, and they list that in 2014, Delvac was chosen by Daimler Trucks North America as factory fill.

Wonder what happened, that is a big contract for Mobil Delvac to lose, isn't it?

Here are some links.

https://www.chevronlubricants.com/e...evsAjWiUleryAev8GXBUuw9DGQv23kUoG25JVM7o

https://www.mobil.com/en/mobil-delvac/proof-of-performance/mobil-delvac-90th-anniversary

Originally Posted by Chris142
Lowest bidder.

I agree. Nothing more than the bottom line. They're both excellent brands IMO and IME.

And this has GOT to be a big account for Mobil Delvac to lose.

FWIW, I ran Mobil Delvac Super 1300 15W40 and Delvac Elite 10W30 in my Series 60 Detroit for it's first 180,000 miles, then only because it was easier to find, I switched to Chevron Delo 400 LE and SDE 15W40, and Delo 400 XLE 10W30. I ran it for the next 180,000 miles.

Looking at my UOAs of both brands and their variants, both did a very, very good job in my particular motor. To be honest, the numbers from both brands were so close, it may have been the same product in different colors jugs, with different labels.

I'd use either brand again in my motor without hesitation.

Last edited:
I will disagree with both of you respectfully. They are both very good oils, and I have not looked at builder approvals or factory fills in decades, but when I did some 20 years ago, Delo had more factory fills than Mobil, and out of all the companies that I have worked at all had fleets of diesel and gas class 3,4,5,6,8 trucks, all used Delo except one that used Kendall.

I only switched to Delvac 1300 because of price, and rebates. Delo is $10.00 more per 5gal bucket, and the rebate is not near as much.

Chevron is very aggressive marketing to fleets (they got us!) and factory fill is great marketing schmoo. We haul a bit of freight for Daimler.......in our dealings...if quality/service is equal among their vendors, low price wins every time. I wouldn't read anything into them switching.

As we (Valvoline) are too (aggressive with fleets). I guess we didn't have proposal out to you. We are factory fill on all Cummins engines (OTR, Power Generation, Frac Industry, etc.). Valvoline has just started in the last 2-3 years capitalizing on the Cummins relationship so it's a catchup game for us.

Originally Posted by LeeinDallas
As we (Valvoline) are too (aggressive with fleets). I guess we didn't have proposal out to you. We are factory fill on all Cummins engines (OTR, Power Generation, Frac Industry, etc.). Valvoline has just started in the last 2-3 years capitalizing on the Cummins relationship so it's a catchup game for us.

I knew Valvoline was partnered up with Cummins. You are also factory fill for Kubota USA, correct? And make their branded fluids?

Delvac, Rotella, and Delo dominate the market so far. Have you (Valvoline) tested your oils against theirs? How would they measure up?

I am using Zerex antifreeze right now, I like how on the product data sheet it says it is safe for "gaskets, hoses, and plastics..." But, I have not used the Valvoline oils that much. I did use All Fleet, and also Maxlife a couple of times.

Originally Posted by njohnson
Originally Posted by LeeinDallas

I knew Valvoline was partnered up with Cummins. You are also factory fill for Kubota USA, correct? And make their branded fluids?

Delvac, Rotella, and Delo dominate the market so far. Have you (Valvoline) tested your oils against theirs? How would they measure up?

I am using Zerex antifreeze right now, I like how on the product data sheet it says it is safe for "gaskets, hoses, and plastics..." But, I have not used the Valvoline oils that much. I did use All Fleet, and also Maxlife a couple of times.

We have tested against the big 3, for example- our 5w-40 PB starts at TBN of 11 whereas the Delo 5w-40 is 10.1. Most likely the same additive package for TBN retention. Yes, we are the manufacturer of Kubota private label and Napa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back