Delo 400 Which Base oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
The following are listed in the Delo 400 Multigrade.....

Highly refined mineral oil (C15-C50) 10-30%

&

Hydrotreated Neutral oil Based. 60-100%.

Does this make it a Group 1 and 2, or a Group 2 and 2+ oil ?

Thanks for that hehe. This oil gets good reviews , recommendations, meets good technical requirements but some people still suggest against using any oil with Group 1 in it.?

Originally Posted By: vxcalais
Thanks for that hehe. This oil gets good reviews , recommendations, meets good technical requirements but some people still suggest against using any oil with Group 1 in it.?

If you are looking at Delo to use, I wouldn't lose any sleep about its makeup...it's definitely a top performer.

Delo is a high end, hydrocracked group II or group II+ oil.

The ISOSYN name does not indicate any synthetic content, it is merely an advertising term to indicate a "holistic" approach to the formulation of basestock and additive package with optimum synergy.

That said, looking at many results of delo 400 meeting industry standard tests, and how well it did compared to other HDEOs, it is proof positive that it is indeed a premium produc that is put together in a superior way.

My only issue is that the viscosity is nearly 16 @ 100C, which may mean fuel economy drops...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Delo is a high end, hydrocracked group II or group II+ oil.

The ISOSYN name does not indicate any synthetic content, it is merely an advertising term to indicate a "holistic" approach to the formulation of basestock and additive package with optimum synergy.

That said, looking at many results of delo 400 meeting industry standard tests, and how well it did compared to other HDEOs, it is proof positive that it is indeed a premium produc that is put together in a superior way.

My only issue is that the viscosity is nearly 16 @ 100C, which may mean fuel economy drops...

I'll find out soon how the new CJ4 LE performed in my Dodge...

Fantastic responses, thanks guys. The Delo 400 LE which is the above CJ-4 is slightly harder to get as yet. Im looking at using the 400 Multigrade, which is the

"Premium performance, multigrade, heavy duty diesel engine oil specifically designed to lubricate a wide range of diesel and gasoline engines requiring API CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, SL, SH, ACEA E7 or JASO DH-1 performance lubricants operating under the most severe service conditions. Specifically designed for the latest electronically controlled diesel engines,including those fitted with
EGR, experiencing high soot loading. Formulated with ISOSYN base oils and the latest additive technology to provide exceptional soot dispersancy, deposit control and wear protection."

Last edited:
The Delo 400 LE which is the above CJ-4 is slightly harder to get as yet. Im looking at using the 400 Multigrade,

Interesting....Many people in North America want the CI4+ version.

The Multigrade is the CI4+. Cj is the new one i assume. I have looked at Delvac MX Multigrade, 15W40, which has exact same specs, only the Delo 400 meets ACEA 7 but Delvac meets all the others, manufacturers approval etc. I think its a GRoup 1 or a Group 2 only oil, and at least $7 cheaper.

the 15w-40 beats multigrade in all relevant tests from the data that chevron showed. Plus its the same price.

Just because it doesnt have gobs of ZDDP doesnt mean it cant perform. Unless you have TBN issues to worry about Id be running the LE.

JMH

Last edited:
Both Chevron Delo 400 Multigrade SAE 15W-40 (API CI-4+) and Chevron Delo 400 LE SAE 15W-40 (API CJ-4) are based on Group 2 oil.

ISOSYN indicates synthetic performance (think PAO) using refined base oil (Group 2 - isodewaxed/hydrocracked).

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: 68redlines73
Both Chevron Delo 400 Multigrade SAE 15W-40 (API CI-4+) and Chevron Delo 400 LE SAE 15W-40 (API CJ-4) are based on Group 2 oil.

ISOSYN indicates synthetic performance (think PAO) using refined base oil (Group 2 - isodewaxed/hydrocracked).

Hope this helps.

I was just at the chevron conference where they had technical and sales sessions.

ISOSYN does not indicate in any way that there is a synthetic characteristic of any sort, group II+ or whatever.

Effectively they market ISOSYN as a "holistic" method of combining the "best" base oil and additive chemistries together to optimize performance. It is actually quite misleading that they use the "syn" in the trademark.

They are building a large high end hydrocracking plant in the gulf somewhere, as right now they need to buy basestock, they dont even make what they consume!

They do put out a lot of fluff (but some backed with data and even SAE papers) to indicate that their product is as good or better than comparable synthetics, that is true. I find some of it tough to believe, considering the actual physics of the fluid properties...

JMH

Last edited:
hmmm, plot thickens....yes it is misleading....again they are the only oil i have seen to give a warranty. Its disappointing as potentially after the botique racing oils, it becomes one of the most expensive minerals of the lower groups 1.

Last edited:
They are the best oil in terms of performance across all of the advanced certification tests, often by a long shot. Delvac and rotella swap spots for second best, but often are far behind.

Delo is the best oil as far as meeting certification requirements by a long shot, per their data, which I have no reason to dispute.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back