Delo 400 is killing me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used Delo 400 with the whole bottle of Valvoline SynPower Oil Treatment.... smooth engine... kinda killed my gas mileage. it was like a 20w50.... heavily friction modified though.

Mori

Here are some recent VOA of Delo 400. It is a 15 cSt oil.

Mark

-

quote:

Originally posted by MarkC:
I was thinking about Delo 15W40 for my Cherokee, until I got my UOA done using Chevron High mileage 10W30. I looked up another 4.0 UOA using Delo and it doesn't compare well to mine, as far as iron wear. Mine was 4.67ppm/1K miles. Delo was 5.97ppm/1K miles...

Mark - there is no difference between 4.67 ppm and 5.97 ppm so don't get excited. Why do they report ppm to two decimal places? That's silly and causes confusion, those are not significant digits. Sorry, just a pet peeve
smile.gif

quote:

Here are some recent VOA of Delo 400. It is a 15 cSt oil.

That matches about the Chevron data sheet that nel cited. M1 5W-40 is bit thinner at 100C, I guess. According to Mobil it's 14.8 cSt.

The viscosities are listed for 100 degrees C, but an engine might operate cooler than that. So, even though 5w40 and 15w40 are the same thickness at 100 C, the 5w40 and especially 0w40 will be thinner at the 78 degrees at which my engine's thermostat is set. When I once tried 15w40, I did feel the extra drag compared to 10w30.

quote:

Originally posted by MarkC:
I was thinking about Delo 15W40 for my Cherokee, until I got my UOA done using Chevron High mileage 10W30. I looked up another 4.0 UOA using Delo and it doesn't compare well to mine, as far as iron wear. Mine was 4.67ppm/1K miles. Delo was 5.97ppm/1K miles.
Now I realize that drawing conclusions from comparing UOA's from someone else's engine with my own is is pretty lame...I don't care! And iron wear is only one thing to look at.
I did note that Delo's Vis@210 after 3350 miles was 73. My Chevron after 3000 miles was 58.7.

So Delo's Vis remained a firm 40 weight while the Cevron sheared down to a 30 weight in 3000 miles. You guys gotta realize also, Delo 400 is formulated primarily for large displacemnt, low revving deisel engines, where it really shines in performance. You are adopting it for its wear characteristics to a use mode that is not its primary design function in smaller gas engines. So why are you surprised that you have lower fuel economy?
dunno.gif
You should have probably expected it.

I mixed Delo yesterday in my daughter's ride. 3.5 quarts Delo 15W-40 and 1.5 quarts Havoline 5W-20. Maybe you should of waited until the peak hot summer days to use it full strength. That stuff is darn-near a 50W oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
I mixed Delo yesterday in my daughter's ride. 3.5 quarts Delo 15W-40 and 1.5 quarts Havoline 5W-20. Maybe you should of waited until the peak hot summer days to use it full strength. That stuff is darn-near a 50W oil.

This is what I am thinking of doing for the summer blend for the 7.3D, 2Gal of 15w-40 plus 4 quarts of 5w40 Rot T, then whatever else is laying around in CH, CI or CI + for the balance,
just I have been thinking of giving Mystik Jt-8 a try, as I have it and the plenty of DELO in stock now. What do you think of that blend?

reyjay asks:
What do you think of that blend?

The engine (2.3 L4 Ford Tempo) has always been quiet & responsive. At 105K, it uses only a 1/2 quart at 3.5K OCIs.

I bought it for her at 75K.... engine was a little dirty then. I thought quality oils with 3.5K OCIs would clean it -- but all it's done is keep it at the same crud level viewing thru the oil filler cap.

I used a 1/2 bottle of Motor Flush for 10-15 minute idle before flushing & refilling with the Delo/Havoline combo. I purchased both of these before for a couple other vehicles I have/had with no problems. I like this combo because they are from the same Conoco Oil Mother Co. I would never mix a high moly oil like these two with a new SM high calcium, phosphorous & zinc oil we're seeing lately in most oils like Mobil, Penn, Valv... etc. I read somewhere here at BITOG that mixing high moly oils with the new SMs with real high doses of Calcium, phos & zinc might do more harm than good. That's why these new oils appear to be really lowering moly levels. Don't know if it's really true... but I sure was sold on that post I can no longer find.

So I suggest keeeping in the same family of oils... ie.... like Mobil Drive Clean with Delvac 1300... etc. Her engine idles as well as prior.... I haven't driven it for your questions on sluggishness or poorer gas mileage.... all I did was let it idle for 15 minutes before handing her her car keys back.

I'll wait & see if she complains about loss of horsepower or MPG. The only two filters I use on my household's five vehicles are either Motorcraft or AC Delco. If oner is out at the store, I'll substiute a Purolator Premium Plus. I'm not fond of highly restrictive filtering like in the Pure One.

[ April 27, 2005, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: Triple_Se7en ]

quote:

You guys gotta realize also, Delo 400 is formulated primarily for large displacemnt, low revving deisel engines, where it really shines in performance. You are adopting it for its wear characteristics to a use mode that is not its primary design function in smaller gas engines. So why are you surprised that you have lower fuel economy? [I dont know] You should have probably expected it.

Where were you with advice when I asked what dino oil to use for the ARX rinse? This is the first dino oil I've ever used in any car!
tongue.gif

Thin it out with some ATF, 0W-20, MM0, or whatever you have laying around.....

Krap....next time - now I know you whine so much....I guess I was one of the weasels that said go ahead use Delo 400!!....I'll say: RTFM.

I also had the "big girl in the backseat" effect from using Delo in my 99 Corolla.However in my old 320i it made no difference
dunno.gif

It is only going to be in the car for a short time! You also know that it is one of the best dino's when one is looking to hold a lot of crap in suspension like after cleaning phase! You will soon be able to go back to snthetic -35W5 in no time flat!!

All typos and joking aside, after the ARX rise I will go back to M1 5W-40. I will have another UOA done and compare the result to the pre-ARX UOA of M1 5W-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back