Delo 400 $3/gal close out...so mix it with M1 0W20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my local wal-mart just did a massive oil sale, and I walked out with quite a bit, including all 9 gallons of Delo 400 15W40 at $3/gallon. The question know is what to do with it!

Would there be anything wrong with throwing a quart of M1 0W20 in with a gallon to drop the viscosity a tad? That would be pretty close to a HM blend 10W30 right? (4 quarts of GII HDEO and 1 quart of PAO/Ester syn....for ~$7-8 total?)

Oh, they also had Castrol SL syn blend on sale for about $1.50 a quart, and Delvac S1300 for $1...

quote:

Originally posted by bob555:
So, my local wal-mart just did a massive oil sale, and I walked out with quite a bit, including all 9 gallons of Delo 400 15W40 at $3/gallon. The question know is what to do with it!

Would there be anything wrong with throwing a quart of M1 0W20 in with a gallon to drop the viscosity a tad? That would be pretty close to a HM blend 10W30 right? (4 quarts of GII HDEO and 1 quart of PAO/Ester syn....for ~$7-8 total?)

Oh, they also had Castrol SL syn blend on sale for about $1.50 a quart, and Delvac S1300 for $1...

I would use Cheveron or havoline to "cut" the Delo. That way the odds are more in your favor of the additives being compatible and or from the same supplier.

quote:

Originally posted by bob555:

Send it to me. I'll put it in the Ford PSD.
grin.gif

I got it for $2 a gallon. I'm using it for topup in my Chevron cars and will probably run a full mix this summer. I also have the lawn mower and ATV to use it in.
grin.gif

-T

I thought of using Chevron or Havline 5W30 or 5w20 to thin it some, but that would only be adding Group II+ or III? So, which is better, going to M1 and getting some PAO/Ester involved....or maintaining the same brand?

From what I can tell all the 5wxx chevron or havoline I've seen is very recent SM production, so it would have been reformulated anyway? So I might as well just go to M1?

And yes, I could just use it slowly, straight up in motorcycles, tractors, etc...but that's just way too normal and boring for me.

I have mixed it with Havoline synth and dino. Strat 30 wt Delo is available here and I may try that next.

Depends on what your looking for. I'm worried about the cat, so I like it in lesser amounts using a low Phosphorus SM oil as the main oil.

-T

I'm planning to do a 4:1 mix(4qts Delo 15w40 : 1qt Synpower 10w30) for a beater MBZ 190E to get Cst/40*C = 109.3 & Cst/100*C = 14.0. Will be getting a near Delvac 1/T&S consistency, a pseudo 5w40 syn blend.

This would be my first foray into mixing oils...I happen to have an unintended abundance of Synpower 10w30 from a Wallys clearance.

quote:

Originally posted by daves66nova:

quote:

I'm worried about the cat, so I like it in lesser amounts using a low Phosphorus SM oil as the main oil.

what oils affect cats?

It's said that Phosphorus can harm cats, that's why they have lowered it in SM oils. Some say it doesn't, some say it does.

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back