Delo 15W-40 stops oil useage in 1987 B&S 3.5Hp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop may be a bit extreme but it's gone from needing oil at every second useage till still full after four cuttings... No it wasn't a miraculous cure... After a fresh change with QS GB straight 30W and using the remainder for add, I started adding the Delo... First couple cuttings with Delo it was still smoking and still did so after second top off... With third top off gradually smoking stopped, next couple cutting it smoked slightly and yesterday at 94* it didn't smoke at all... Prior if it wasn't smoking it was all but out of oil, surprised me it was still full...

I'd gotten the Hi-Vac Snapper its on as a parts mower, intended to junk it but it runs soo good...

The QS was in a couple years total but only used a few times in '14 and set out '15 totally, not started at all... Was almost full but still it's same old smoky self when I started using it late March this year... The way it was swilling oil no chance I was going to change again, so started adding Delo that I was using in a truck I sold in late '12...

Now if you go with a 20W-50 that Briggs will be just like new
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: funflyer
Now if you go with a 20W-50 that Briggs will be just like new
grin2.gif

You read my mind...
grin.gif

I'm totally floored it stopped smoking and needing oil at every second cutting, would not have taken that bet using someone else's money... The last highly used 3.5Hp B&S I had didn't care what was in it, would cheerfully burn whatever I used in it... That one lasted approx five years and one day without warning, kicked out the rod...

On those old motors and most OPE that's had unknown service I like to do couple piston soaks. I usually pull the head on those older flat tops and scrape the chambers out, you'd be amazed at how much carbon buildup you'll get in one that's burning some oil.

Warm up the motor for a few minutes, pull the plug and pour in some sea foam or B12, let it soak for 15 minutes, start the engine and run it till the smoke clears and repeat. Make sure to to give it a couple cranks before you put the plug back in to blow out any fluid left in there.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
I am betting that the rings were stuck, and the Delo had enough cleaners to unstick them.

That's my thought as well, if it were worn out the oil wouldn't have helped much... Rings were shot in the other 3.5Hp I used to have, it'd burn 20W-50 just as happily as 30W, 10W-40, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back