Delo 10w-30 or 15w-40 for hot western US Trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwillson

Staff member
All,

My post from a couple days ago has convinced me now to run a 0w-20 oil in my LS1 (5.3 Suburban). Many of you have suggested running a thicker oil in the westeren US heat on my upcoming 6000 mile vacation (is that a vacation?). And simply NOT to run a thin oil in the LS1.

I have a good stock of Chevron Delo 10w-30 and 15w-40. Which of these two oils would you run on a 6000 mile trip where most of the driving will be in 100+ heat and at 75-80 mph? Why?

thanks,

Wayne

[ July 12, 2004, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: wwillson ]

I don't know squat about a LS1, but in California central valley, I typically run dino Chevron Supreme in 10w30. It can get over 100 in a hot summer day. But I do want to know where you can find Delo in 10w30.

15w/40 will work for the warmer months. But run the 10w/30 and do an analysis at 5,000 miles and post it for us to drool over.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
15w/40 will work for the warmer months. But run the 10w/30 and do an analysis at 5,000 miles and post it for us to drool over.

I am planning on doing an analysis, but the oil will have about 7,000 miles on it.

Wayne

Wayne,I can't wait.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I am with Steve S. I would really like to know how the 10W-30 Delo will do.

[ July 13, 2004, 05:06 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Trying to find some non-CAFE influenced recommendations, I did find that in Australia both Castrol and Mobil recommend 10w-40, 15w-40, or 20w-50 (most common) for the -2004 5.7L v-8s. The oil companies usually use the manufacturer's requirements as a basis for their recommendations.

It seems a commercial fleet oil such as Delvac in 15w-40 would work fine.

My vote is for the 10w30. It should work well enough so why throw any gas mileage out the window with the 15w40? 7000 mile trip in a v8 should make a big enough dent in the gas budget.
Happy motoring.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
"Either one would probably work well. Unless the engine is old and loose, I would choose the 10W30."

How many miles on that LS1?

And, like so many others here, I'm dying to see a UOA (especially after a long-ish run) on Delo 10W30.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

45,000 miles in the last 2 years - mostly long-trip driving. I've been using Mobil Delvac 15w-40.

Not sure if this will help or not. I just bought a Chevy 2500HD pickup with the 8.1/Allison. I bought it used with 25k miles. Lots of internet postings of high oil consumption with this motor. I can't help but make my own oil combinations so I put in 4 qts M1 10-30, 1 qt Chevron dino 30w, and 1 and 1/2 qts of Chevron dino 10-30. Used factory AC PF454 oil filter. I just drove from Colorado to Bakersfield CA over the Rockies and through the deserts. Temps hit a high of 111 by Death Valley and averaged over 105 the whole trip. Air on high the whole way, 75 mph average speed. Used zero oil, still full on the stick.

"Either one would probably work well. Unless the engine is old and loose, I would choose the 10W30."

My sentiments exactly. How many miles on that LS1? What have you used in it the last couple of intervals?

I guess I'd really need a good reason to go past a solid 30 weight oil in a newer vehicle. Remember, Delo 10W30 is designed primarily for diesels ... which see extended use by their very nature.

And, like so many others here, I'm dying to see a UOA (especially after a long-ish run) on Delo 10W30.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

"45,000 miles in the last 2 years - mostly long-trip driving. I've been using Mobil Delvac 15W40."

OK, low miles as I suspected ... and you've already been using a gas/diesel oil so no fear of sudden, dramatic cleaning fouling the new oil.

Yep, I'd still go with the 10W30 unless you run into consumption issues.

If you go with the 10W30 and encounter what seems to you to be higher-than-normal consumption, I'd begin topping off with 15W40 all the way home.
dunno.gif

Of course, that'd skew any UOA you might (hopefully) perform.
frown.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
"45,000 miles in the last 2 years - mostly long-trip driving. I've been using Mobil Delvac 15W40."

OK, low miles as I suspected ... and you've already been using a gas/diesel oil so no fear of sudden, dramatic cleaning fouling the new oil.

Yep, I'd still go with the 10W30 unless you run into consumption issues.

If you go with the 10W30 and encounter what seems to you to be higher-than-normal consumption, I'd begin topping off with 15W40 all the way home.
dunno.gif

Of course, that'd skew any UOA you might (hopefully) perform.
frown.gif

--- Bror Jace

Exactly what I was thinking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back