Dell Laptop - Windows and Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about a dell laptop (or any PC laptop really)

In australia, unlike the US, you can't order a dell laptop with Ubuntu from the factory.

Is it possible to order the system with Vista, then install Ubuntu, and get completely rid of windows??

I would look around for a reseller that supplies laptops with no OS, or with Ubuntu.

If you go the Dell route, choosing "use whole disk" during install will simply wipe out the entire windows install.

not stuck on any brand. just for security etc and without having my wallet emptied by the world's richest man.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
not stuck on any brand. just for security etc and without having my wallet emptied by the world's richest man.

If you buy a system pre-loaded with Windows, you're lining their pockets.

System 76 sells systems pre-loaded with Ubuntu. Buying a system with *no* installed OS does not guarantee that the hardware will worh with Ubuntu.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

If you buy a system pre-loaded with Windows, you're lining their pockets.

System 76 sells systems pre-loaded with Ubuntu. Buying a system with *no* installed OS does not guarantee that the hardware will worh with Ubuntu.

*DOH* of course i would be.. .

too bad those system76 folks don't ship to australia.

Easy way around that. Just make arraingments with a mailboxes, etc store or a mail to go store to recieve your package and reship it to you in Australia.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Easy way around that. Just make arraingments with a mailboxes, etc store or a mail to go store to recieve your package and reship it to you in Australia.

how does that work? never heard of that. trustworthy?

Crinkles- Yes, it's very easy. The UPS store is another place that forwards mail/packages for people.

Call the UPS store closest to the Systems 76 business. You might have to call the Systems 76 company to find out where that is.

Call the UPS store and tell them what your plans are, they can probably even give you a shipping cost if you know the weight of the items being shipped. You MAY have to sign up and pay for an address/mailbox. If this is going to be a one time deal, they might accept the package for you and then send it to you.

Then call Systems 76 and order the products, using the UPS store address. The UPS store will be watching for it, and will forward the package to you.

It might sound complicated, but it's not. Just make sure all parties are on the same page and it's easy. They do this kind of thing all the time.

Another option would be to simply have a stateside friend order the products to his/her address and then forward them to you.

If you pick a Dell that is available with Ubuntu you will have a better chance of Ubuntu working without problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back