Dell Inspiron 530S $299, Free Shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Good price, you can upgrade ram to 4 GB for $334

Geez, that seems like a lot of money just to upgrade the RAM.

J/K, I know what you mean :)

BTW, what's the difference between Vista Home Basic and Vista Home Premium? $30 to upgrade, is it worth it?

I just bought one.

My previous Dell Dimension 2300 is nearly 7 years old now.

oilBabe and the kids were complaining about using Star Office (like stabbing me in the heart) so for $533.87, I got one of these, upgrading the HD to 500GB, the O/S to Vista Home Premium, and of course adding on Home and Student Office '07.

I got an extra 3% off by choosing Dell's financing, which of course I'll pay in full when the first bill comes, so that was another $15+ dollars off the $100 discount and free shipping.

For what I do, this should serve me well for another 7 years. I just don't care to build PC's anymore.

FWIW-You could have gotten the new mini mac and been done with all the issues with windows: virus, worms, trojans, Bill Gates, etc :).
Originally Posted By: javacontour
I just bought one.

oilBabe and the kids were complaining about using Star Office (like stabbing me in the heart) so for $533.87, I got one of these, upgrading the HD to 500GB, the O/S to Vista Home Premium, and of course adding on Home and Student Office '07.

I got an extra 3% off by choosing Dell's financing, which of course I'll pay in full when the first bill comes, so that was another $15+ dollars off the $100 discount and free shipping.

For what I do, this should serve me well for another 7 years. I just don't care to build PC's anymore.

That's nothing compared to the hassles the fam would give me.

I just don't give them Admin access, and I run Solaris, so I have little to worry about.

Could I have purchased the mini mac for $534 tax included, shipped to my home with Office?

I don't doubt the Mac is a fine machine, and if it were just me, I'd likely go with that solution, (or have kept what I have frankly.)

But sadly, wifey won't do Linux or Solaris, and won't do Star Office on the home computer either. So this is a small price to keep the peace.

But sadly, wifey won't do Linux or Solaris,

javacontour, I don't mean to sound harsh, but things like this are the things that need to be addressed *before* making the commitment of marriage!
wink.gif

That's nothing compared to the hassles the fam would give me.

I just don't give them Admin access, and I run Solaris, so I have little to worry about.

Could I have purchased the mini mac for $534 tax included, shipped to my home with Office?

I don't doubt the Mac is a fine machine, and if it were just me, I'd likely go with that solution, (or have kept what I have frankly.)

But sadly, wifey won't do Linux or Solaris, and won't do Star Office on the home computer either. So this is a small price to keep the peace.

My wife won't mess with anything other than windows. She's a windows lifer. I feel your pain
wink.gif

Follow up on the $533.87 computer.

Last November, the hard drive failed. Last week, the power supply. So far, this hasn't been the best desktop experience I've had.

The previous computer mentioned, I think the only failure was the CD drive. Maybe a power supply, but not two years into the ownership experience.

So I'd say I'm 1 and 1 with Dell. One really good experience, one below average experience.

I just bought one.

all hard drives in low-end systems are awful. HP nor Dell uses uniform suppliers for their HD's even in their business systems.

Power supply? Yeah, that should have lasted longer.

Thank you for the update.

The hard drive failure seems to be common to the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11

The only other failed hard drive I have on my desk is a Maxtor 120GB disk built in 2003 and failed in 2009. That is a little more reasonable than a drive made sometime in the first four months of 2009 failing in November of 2010. The date code appears to be 2009 (09391) Seems that's the 39th week of Fiscal 2009 or about 39 weeks after 1 July 2008, or sometime in March 2009.

Some interweb searches indicate the PS is a common problem. I replaced the 250W power supply with a 300W Seasonic I got from New Egg. It's a TFX form factor power supply and my local go to source, Micro Center didn't have that on their website.

NewEgg rocked, with my order on Sunday night, and I got the power supply Tuesday afternoon. I ordered with 3 day shipping and got the unit in less than 48 hours from when I clicked confirm on the order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back