dell dimension 2400 vid card...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this comp have a built-in vid card? If it does and it's a small mb one, is it possible to add one into one of the slots and have the comp recognize it? I like looking at you tube vids and sometimes some look pixelated

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
My 2400 came with onboard graphics. I added a PCI card I picked up at New Egg. I believe it was a 128 mb Radeon one.
did u notice a difference? was it worth it?

We have a large number of the Optiplex 170L computers which is the similar product to the 2400 series. While they did not have a graphics slot, the addition of a PCI-based video card (like Monkeyman mentions) helped out these old workhorses. Video isn't as crisp as a brand new computer, but much better than with the built-in base graphics.

Yes, it did make a difference. Still using the 2400 as my main work computer at home. YouTube and DVD's play fine.

It's probably built into the mobo.

Or if it's running Windows, couldn't you just look in the list of devices to see what model on board card this uses. If it's anything like my old Dell Dimension 2300, it had video built into the mobo and no AGP slot.

I installed a newish PCI video card with digital output and that worked fine.

BIOS or Windows could see both cards but figured out which one had a monitor attached and used that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back