Delete Quicktime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
who uses quicktime for windows? You can play it all with vlc or your player of choice now anyway.

So let me get this straight because Apple won't help the FBI open on unlock the iPhone they're going to say that QuickTime is bad and try to get back at them like that??

Seems childish but knowing the other things this admin does such as IRS audits of anyone "patriotic".

Not too far fetched

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
who uses quicktime for windows? You can play it all with vlc or your player of choice now anyway.

I still have Quicktime 7 on my computer because Windows Media Player won't play a few file extensions, whereas Quicktime will.

So what's a good free media player out there these days that will play just about anything?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I still have Quicktime 7 on my computer because Windows Media Player won't play a few file extensions, whereas Quicktime will.

So what's a good free media player out there these days that will play just about anything?

VLC Media Player http://www.videolan.org

I've used it for years, and have yet to find a legit file type that it won't play.

Quote:

So let me get this straight because Apple won't help the FBI open on unlock the iPhone they're going to say that QuickTime is bad and try to get back at them like that??

no. The article says..

Quote:

Apple and DHS urged Windows customers to uninstall the program.

Quote:

Security company TrendMicro blogged about the QuickTime vulnerability in a post titled "Urgent call to action.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

VLC Media Player http://www.videolan.org

I've used it for years, and have yet to find a legit file type that it won't play.

I am not a computer guy, I use them, but don't really understand them, what the programs do and such. But thanks to your input I have deleted Quicktime and downloaded the VLC. Thank you all.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
I have deleted Quicktime and downloaded the VLC. Thank you all.

How do you like the VLC program? Was there any 'add ware' involved with it? It think I'll smoke QuickTime also and download VLC if it's decent.

The DHS AND apple are recommending uninstalling quicktime. It's not "the government getting back at apple". It's because there are two critical known vulnerabilities in quicktime, but apple has decided to stop supporting it, as it's deprecated and little used anymore.

I went to uninstall it because of the recommendation and because I knew I hadn't used it anyway... but it was already uninstalled. Strangely, Apple has been trying to update/add it back in for years every time their multi-prog update box pops up.

Ok so I went to uninstall Quicktime and it says some apps that use Quicktime may not run.
I don't have Apple stuff. Should I just uninstall anway?
How can I tell what apps might use Quicktime on my Windows 7 desktop?

A Windows guru may have to correct me, but uninstalling Quicktime may give you some codec issues. Install VLC, as already mentioned, and you won't have any concerns.

The reason I say that, was back in the day, I couldn't watch a Quicktime vid on the Microsoft viewer until Quicktime was downloaded, which leads me to think it was a codec thing.

Video files with the old .MOV extension will not play on Microsoft's Media Player even today. That's the only reason I have QuickTime 7 on my computer. I'm assuming the VLC will also play .MOV video files.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Ok so I went to uninstall Quicktime and it says some apps that use Quicktime may not run.
I don't have Apple stuff. Should I just uninstall anway?
How can I tell what apps might use Quicktime on my Windows 7 desktop?

it's a generic canned warning. If you run into any problems, install vlc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back