Defrosted a windshield with sandpaper

Initialy wanted to post this under the "Humor" section but it's true. My cousin's wife was in a hurry and had nothing to quickly defrost the windshield but found some 80 grit sandpaper and used that. And this is a new car. How would you deal with this situation? Is there a miracle way of "fixing" or making scratches less apparent? I don't have a picture, i'll post one asap but it's bad lol.

Yes 80 grit, my cousin said he immediately understood when found the sandpaper where the car was parked earlier in the morning. I guess there's no other way, it will be a new windshield but we still wanted to ask. And give you a good chuckle.

Step 1: Target practice with .22 shorts

Step 2: "I don't know how this happened... good thing we have comprehensive coverage"

Step 3: Profit

In all seriousness, some jurisdictions require that a comprehensive insurance policy replace a windshield with no deductible. I have no idea what insurance laws in France are.

OK. A new windshield is in order here. However, if someone wanted to make the effort, as in, "my insurance won't cover it", I think there is a solution!
It's called Cerium Oxide, and there are kits available from Amazon. The kit I bought came complete with buffer wheels and Cerium Oxide powder that you mix with water to form a paste. Just don't try to use the buffing wheels with a battery powered drill. You'll also need a very strong grip and maybe a side handle on the drill. An angle grinder with a drill chuck would be the best I think.
I've removed some very deep scratches with this stuff as well as polished glass that seemed unrepairable.

Initialy wanted to post this under the "Humor" section but it's true. My cousin's wife was in a hurry and had nothing to quickly defrost the windshield but found some 80 grit sandpaper and used that. And this is a new car. How would you deal with this situation? Is there a miracle way of "fixing" or making scratches less apparent? I don't have a picture, i'll post one asap but it's bad lol.
What could possibly go wrong?

The Cerium Oxide will work BUT the windshield will be optically wavy after so do not even try.. It is much better for damaged art glass and smoothing cut edges. New windshield.

Rod

OK. A new windshield is in order here. However, if someone wanted to make the effort, as in, "my insurance won't cover it", I think there is a solution!
It's called Cerium Oxide, and there are kits available from Amazon. The kit I bought came complete with buffer wheels and Cerium Oxide powder that you mix with water to form a paste. Just don't try to use the buffing wheels with a battery powered drill. You'll also need a very strong grip and maybe a side handle on the drill. An angle grinder with a drill chuck would be the best I think.
I've removed some very deep scratches with this stuff as well as polished glass that seemed unrepairable.
Zero chance that you can can use cerium oxide to polish out 80 grit scratches.

It's time for new glass.

Does he let her vote?!:eek:

Over the years I have come to realize that there are many many areas of aptitude. Some people are good at almost all areas, some are great at some, and poor at others. And there are some who in certain areas are a zero.

I have a sister who has 2 degrees in business, and is a very will organized person when it comes to anything dealing with taking care of money, paper work, or business. But in the area of mechanical aptitude she is a zero. Over the years I have been amazed at how she has messed something up because she did not have a clue as to what was going on mechanically, or electrically. That does not mean she is a bad person. In fact she is a very good person. It is just that she does not have any mechanical reasoning at all. My quick and dirty and somewhat insulting, and some may say incorrect, way of thinking of her mechanical aptitude so I never forget how bad she is at that area of reasoning, is that she has the mechanical aptitude of a doorknob. A real absolute zero, but only in that area of thinking. When it comes to dealing with her, you just have to never rely on her to do anything requiring any knowledge about how something works or should be taken care of. That is just the way she is. Realizing that and never getting her involved in doing anything requiring even the smallest amount of mechanical reasoning is a good way of avoiding problems that she will create in ways that amaze you about how anyone could be so clueless about what is going on.

Again the point is, there are many areas of aptitude. And it happens that there are some people who, in certain areas score almost unbelievably low, while in other areas of aptitude they may be fully functional, or even above average. That is just the way they are.

Just when you think you’ve heard it all.
Long ago I heard, directly from GE engineers who got involved, that someone used a GE steam iron to defrost a windshield. They modified the design to make such misuse (among other stories they knew) more difficult.

Back