Define "Extended Drains"???

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your understanding of the term "extended drains?" How long is it?
confused.gif
10,000 miles, 15,000 miles, 20,000 miles,????
dunno.gif

The old rule was 3k but now it's 3k to 7500 for most cars. My definition of extended drains is anything longer then what the manufacturer suggests. In my book anything over 10k miles is extending the drain. BTW, I've yet to do one. I'm working on one now though. 7k miles to go. I'm not driving nearly as many miles anymore bc I've moved....thank god!
fruit.gif

[ June 10, 2003, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I agree...anything "over" what the manufacturer suggests. That said, I don't think 10k as recommended for a BMW or M-B is "extended drains", however it would for the typical U.S./Japanese car as would going 25k as per Amsoil's recommendations for any vehicle. So again, it simply means to me, "going beyond manufacturer's suggested interval".

quote:

Originally posted by Gebo:
What is your understanding of the term "extended drains?" How long is it?
confused.gif
10,000 miles, 15,000 miles, 20,000 miles,????
dunno.gif

An extended drain is an oil change that is beyond the manufacturer's recommendations. If you qualify for the "normal" maintenance schedule of 7,500 miles, an extended drain would be anything beyond that. If your driving practices put you on the "severe" maintenance schedule, an extended drain is an oil change interval beyond 3,000 miles.

I used 3,000 and 7,500 mile intervals for illustration, as they are the most common. Might be different for you car. Check the owner's manual.

My definition doesn't even include the manufacturer since they are ignorant and still use mileage as the timer for oil changes. Actual time or fuel burned is/would/could be more consistent.

An extended drain interval is when YOU change the oil at an interval that is longer than what YOU would NORMALLY change it.

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
My definition doesn't even include the manufacturer since they are ignorant and still use mileage as the timer for oil changes. Actual time or fuel burned is/would/could be more consistent.

Well, many new cars do have computer calculations based on engine time, rpm and speed, but many people are critical of that too! I know a guy who changes the oil on his Buick LeSabre when the indicator says 30% of its life is left. I asked him...do you throw out the milk carton when it is 2/3 gone? Sorry, but I don't get it!

The funny thing is...he insists on using 5W30 because that is what the manufacturer recommends. So I ask...why is the manufacturer an expert when it comes to deciding what grade of oil to use, but an idiot when it comes to specifying the drain interval. Sorry, but again, I don't get it!

[ June 10, 2003, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: CJH ]

C'mon. Can it get a little more "black and white?" Too much gray. Okay, go easy on the Preacher jokes.
wink.gif

I understand that the "minimum" oil change mileage for "maximum" safety is 3000 miles on dino.

My point is that I read "this oil this" and "that oil that" and some people make reference to Redline being the "best" but Amsoil is the "best" with "extended oil drain intervals." From what ya'll are saying (at least my interpretation) is that anything over manufacturer's recommendation is "extended." In my twisted understanding, I "could" assume that Redline is only good for "regular" drain intervals, which I know is not the case. Therefore, what does everyone mean when they say "Amsoil is 'the' oil if you are looking at "extended drain intervals?"

Mobil is a good synthetic. Ain't it good at extended intervals? Why is Amsoil "always" referenced as "the" extended drain interval oil? What does this mean? What about Redline and Mobil? Aren't they good extended drain interval oils?

I just want your opinion.
worshippy.gif

Woah...now you're asking for explanations. I think Amsoil is the "extended interval" oil of choice because they advertise as such. Redline doesn't (AFAIK) advertise their oils to go 25k or whatever. Likewise for M-1. Furthermore, AFAIK, Amsoil has done their homework when it come to extended drains and require special filtration methods to achieve this goal. Most other oil manufacturer's separate the sale of oil and filter.

And don't forget another important point. The back of a Mobil 1 bottle use to say, "Follow your manufacture change intervals". Throws extended drains right out the window. Even though they say it can go no problem, they were at least afraid because of that API **** !!! Not sure if it still says it or not.

I feel like anything past 5K is extended. My wife's Cavalier says 7500 miles for 'normal' driving. Geez. I am still trying to figure out why anyone would go past 5K, even with a synthetic. Seems like asking for trouble.

Dr. T,
Redline recommends drains between 12,000 - 18,000 for gassers in good condition. Longer for Diesels.

For me extended drain is anything past 3000 miles. I guess I had the 3000 mile drill pounded into my head so much that going 7500 on synthetic still feels weird though I've been doing it for 2 years.

The power of advertising?

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

I'd also say "extended" is when your oil light flashes and you just reset it and keep on rollin'. I feel any of the synthetics mentioned here are good for extended drains although some don't have the nads to claim it. Although I wouldn't go more than 12,000 on any of them. But that's a whole other can of worms.
gr_stretch.gif

[ June 11, 2003, 03:36 AM: Message edited by: JWRENCH ]

quote:

trying to figure out why anyone would go past 5K, even with a synthetic. Seems like asking for trouble

Check out the UOA's, you will see many good reports above 5k and even 10-15k at times. Honestly, your wasting money if your only going to 5k on a syn lube, unless your racing the car very hard IMO>
smile.gif

My two cents.

Anything beyond 7500 miles or manufacturer recommendations and up to one year regardless of low mileage. That is, if I go a year and only put on 3000 miles that is extended as well.

mad.gif
I found this statement on the Baldwin Filters site. So does your engine start burning oil during extended drains.Another factor to consider is that oil consumption tends to increase toward the end of extended change intervals, because engines burn more used oil than new oil. Increased oil usage reduces the savings from extending the drain interval. http://www.baldwinfilters.com/products/lube.html

cool.gif
I start getting nervous after about a month.
grin.gif
Seriously, anything over the mfg's maximum recommendation IMO. Mobil 1 and Redline, I think, just don't want to get into warranty hassles with the automakers even though their oil may well be good for more miles. More of a legal issue than an oil life issue. When M1 first came out they advertised it as being good for 15k. UOA is the only way to know for sure. The '00 BMW that my dad had, the OLI would go off at about 15k which to me is a lot but then it held I think 12 quarts of synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back