Deer hunting starts soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
any other hunters out there ? woke up at 2am to let the cats in and a big boy was in my front yard, firearms starts next Sunday, I got my eye on him.. buck fever is setting in !

and all the people that cry about hunting the poor deer, they change there tune real quick when there across there hood
smile.gif
be carefull, and if you have to hit one, aim for the DOE's big bucks deserve a wall mount, not a hood mount !

Never really had the heart to hunt, but yesterday I saw somebody take a buck with a Pontiac as I was driving down the highway. It made it across the side of the highway I was on, but not so much on the other. I'm about 90% sure its rack exploded on impact.

Michigan gun season kicks in the 14th for two weeks. I like in the shotgun zone below M-57. The deer are not moving much now with all the food from the corn harvest and soybean harvest. I have seen a few really nice bucks early in the morning's on the way to work. With the moon phase I think the rut will chime in the the second week of season. Good luck!

we shall see, ive got alot of does on my property as the farmers are getting the crops out of the fields, its pushing the deer back into the woods (my property) ive taken a week off work for this season, im fired up !

AMEN.. we can debate oil till we are blue in the face.. there is NO DEBATEING DEER HUNTING.

Been out with the bow several times already, seen plenty, just nothing in range. Our gun season starts the 28th.

I've been waiting for it to start. Good to see other hunters here too. Speaking of hunting, what's everyone using these days ? Gun, calibers, bullet weight, Handloads, etc. I would think this self admitted OCD crowd that is BITOG would be some excellent Hand loaders.

Myself, I have new gun to try. 225 Winchester. I'm using x bullets handloads at about 3600 fps. Can put 3 inside 0.75 inch all day long. I am anxious for season to start !

FYI, the same protein that causes mad cow disease can also affect things like deer and elk, so if they look like they're acting funny, don't eat the it lol.

Just got back this evening from a hunt with my father and some friends. Had a wonderful time, but alas I am without quarry. The wind and rainy weather conspired to keep them bedded down for the weekend. A couple of guys got does and one got a nice small-to-medium size hog (maybe 75 pounds live weight. I got the hog in exchange for cleaning and quartering his deer. Fair trade, IMO. Better to come home with something in the freezer than nothing and I was anxious to try out my new hunting knife on something.

Using two deer slayers this year, old faithfull wich is a Remington 870, scoped, 3'mags. Im good with it to about 100yrds

#2 Savage model 10 50ca (modern powder 4227 if memory serves) scoped,bi-pod, using .45 with sabbots. I just started to finish my fine tune on it up to 100yrd, its capable of much much more, but ive never dropped a deer at more than 110yrd, so the 100yrd is my standard. i will be happy with it when i can put 3 inside a inch (or cut the black) at 100yrd's it stinks re-dialing it, just got my scope back on from the manufacturer last week.. it was'nt holding a group very well.. so it needed a tune up.

for some DNR reason, were not allowed to use high powered rifles in Indiana, but we can use high powered black powder.. ive been scratching my head over that for years... and id put my Savage 50cal up against *most* high powered hunting rifles

Aren't high powered blackpowder rounds just as "rainbow" trajectory as, well, the lower power ones? [And like shotgun slugs.]

I seem to recal there being a limit to both pressure and feet per second (if not a law then just practical limits). Meaning that, in the end, one has to work real hard to get a round to go over 500 yards or some other really long distance.

Originally Posted By: supton
Aren't high powered blackpowder rounds just as "rainbow" trajectory as, well, the lower power ones? [And like shotgun slugs.]

I seem to recal there being a limit to both pressure and feet per second (if not a law then just practical limits). Meaning that, in the end, one has to work real hard to get a round to go over 500 yards or some other really long distance.

http://gunblast.com/SavageML10.htm

this sums it up pretty nicely.. mind you i stated hunting rifles (im not refering to 308's & 1,000yrd sniper rifles) As a matter of fact hunting in Indiana is only allowed with pistol cartridges in 357, 44 MAG ect, so as far as hunting is regarded, im suing about the most long distance thing i can legally in our state.. the above is a good article, check it out.

my appoligies, sometimes what your thinking doesnt always translate to what you write, i omitted the fact that Indiana hunting laws prohibit High powered hunting rifles, so our high powered rifles are pistol cartridges as 44mag, .357 ect.. so in indiana when someone is refering to there hunting rifle, we already know we are refering to a rifle running pistol cartridges..

I'm heading to IL later today for some deer hunting. I have the Knight 'Elite' all sighted & ready. My load is 115 grns of Blackhorn 209,CCIM primer & a 250 grn SST. My scope is a Leupold vari-x-III 1.75-6. This gun can drive tacks at expected shot distances. I have 3 tags, 2 anterless & one either. I'm also looking for a coyote to present a shot, usually see one or 2.

Since I can't use a centerfire I'll take my M-L tricked out as much as possible. Did I mention my trigger is 2.5 lbs. I better go pack some more.

Nice. I spent several (10-15) hours shooting this week, i ran around 50-60 200grn and 40 250 TC through mine, at 100yrds i was cutting a hole the size of a quarter (with bi-pod and sandbag) using the 250's the spread was only slightly larger MR4227 worked great. I dont own a liepold scope but would like to try one in the future. everything i have now is Bushnell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back