Decomposing second decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where to put it without putting it into context non grata? Some of the linked are white papers, the brochure for a deposit control additive mentions motor oils, let's just try here. To provoke russian blending of oven chain oils into jet oils run in ZMZ, ZiL or Kalashnikov's IZH engines or not.

The handful from Nyco's latest presentations to the AO 424 additive not explicitly marketed for automotive decomposition of esters but perhaps compatible with the idea around clean rings and seals – and the earlier article:

Tags: branched polymeric esters OSP Ketjenlube PIB TEOST residues

Last edited:
Nyco is essentially the French mirror of our Hatco. Hatco has been making quality esters for a long time.

Long time member Tom in NJ worked for Hatco, is an ester chemist, and wrote a number of White Papers for us.

Last edited:
Thanks, Molakule! Tom even showed us a patent when we struggled along over TEOST, panel coker and more interesting hot tube simulator testing, before we arrived at Nyco's branched POE choices for clean decomposition with the 2016 article. Only the additive and the rest somehow didn't come up then.
I probably need to revisit diesters if still an option in the greater quadrant of 2T oils. The old hot-diesel studies featuring aromatic esters also included them – and the funny NEO product I guess.

Nyco is a long time quality ester manufacturer. While they are headquartered in France, their ester plant is in Belgium. They sell quite a bit of products into Russia and the Middle East.

It appears from your links that the technology they are promoting is the use of certain branched acids in polyol ester molecules to reduce the number of reactive hydrogens and thereby improve oxidative stability, and an oligomerized amine anti-oxidant. This is excellent technology but not new.

I formulated an oven chain oil using high levels of a low reactive hydrogen branched acid back in the late 80s and It became the largest selling high temperature chain oil in the USA (may still be). I filed for patents on this branched acid ester technology in the early 90s but the company dropped it. I also developed a line of "Advanced POEs" from this technology which sold very well into industrial applications.

Synthetic lubricant base stock formed from high content branched chain acid mixtures

In the early 90s I incorporated this branched acid approach into a jet engine oil POE for which I did received a patent. That oil, formulated by Exxon, also used an oligomerized amine anti-oxidant, as did a Mobil jet engine oil from the late 70s. The Exxon (now Eastman) jet engine oil is either the first or second largest selling jet engine oil in the world today. I also used this POE technology in a jet engine oil POE for Shell.

Technical pentaerythritol esters as lubricant base stock

I combined the branched POE and oligomerized AO technology in the late 90s into a chain oil and grease and filed for a patent, which the company also dropped. The chain oil, however, was quite successful and is still being sold.

Additive package for high temperature synthetic lubricants

These branched acid POEs are available in the USA from Lanxess and Calumet.

He who had it all only always lacked a rotary vehicle when it came to inventing the best motor oil :)

I Hadn't thought of using your personal tag on Google Patents – great to read that, Tom.

Do a search on synthetic lubricants, PAO, and esters in the White Papers and Technical Discussion forum where you will find a number of papers.

With that we will close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back