Decisions for a BMW M54 2.5 Liter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also love using the Oil Evacuator on my 330ci.

I tried once draining the oil traditionally with the oil drain plug. Then I lowered the car to the floor and dropped in the oil evacuator. With the evacuator I was able to remove an additional 1/4 to 1/3 of a Litre of used oil.

I can get more used oil out using the oil evacuator than the manual says the car holds. That being said, I'm confident that this is an excellent way to change the oil on the 3.0L inline 6.

Like you said, I can change the oil while wearing a suit without getting dirty, and have done so on one occasion. No jacking or draining, it's about a 5 minute job.

Here's a little trick. Get a 2L soda bottle and cut it circumferentially around 2/3 up from the bottom. Wipe the inside well. Now you've got a funnel for filling the oil, and a little bucket for dropping your used cartridge filter into when you pull it out. It makes a really nice disposable BMW oil change kit.

I got this tip from a VW TDI board. I believe they have a similar cartridge filter set-up as BMW's.

(edited for typo)

quote:

Howdy Bimmer lovers

Used to run M1 15-50 in both a 750iL and a 525i (both '92's). Newer engines want thinner oils, unless you're running a M52 motor! Then 10W-60 is your only choice.

Latest talk on the Mcoupe boards (now have a '99 MCoupe w/ M50 engine) is to run M1 5w30 unless you're in the Southern Climates.

Sorry but some of your information is incorrect. The M52 motor was the 2.8 liter used in the E36 (single vanos, iron block), early E46's (aluminum block, dual vanos), early E39 5-series, and early Z3's which was not spec'd for 10w60. 10w60 is only spec'd for the S62 motor with builds of 3/00 or earlier in the E39 M5 (though 10w60 is safe to use in the later models), S54 motor in the `01-`02 Mcoupe/roadster and E46 M3 and upcoming Z4M roadster/coupe and the current E60 M5.

The `99 M coupe had the S52 motor which a bored/stroked M52 and Mobil 1 30 weighs aren't spec'd for and never have been for any BMW engine since they run on the light side! Where do you get this info?!
confused.gif
A 40 weight synthetic like Mobil 1 0w40/5w40, Lubro Moly 0w40/5w40, or Castrol Syntec 5w40 would be good choices for the S52.

I agree with windnsea.

Both the BMW synthetic and GC have I believe a 12.2 Cst @ 100....nearly a 40 wt.

Before CAFE became an issue, BMW's were calling for relatively heavy oils rather than light ones...in many cases 15w-50's.

Before the e46 M3 started spinning bearings, it called for a 5w-30 (a heavy one) and then went to a 10w-60.

M1 5w-30 has a Cst of 10.0...which seems too light. I personally don't know of any BMW engines calling for an oil on the light end of the spectrum, but they could exist.

In the mean time, a heavy 5w30 or a 5w-40 looks good for these 2.5 and 3.0L inline 6's. If I were in a hot climate I would likely run a 10w-40 synthetic.

plan to run 5w40 castol BC in my 95 525i with the M50 engine, 121,000 miles after I finish my second Auto-rx engine cleaning.

Have run Mobil 1 0w40 and Mobil 1 5w40 truck and suv. I have fround no difference in way vehicle runs with these oils. However, I have found that heaver oils such as a 15wX will cause a valve clatter on first start on a cold (below freezing) day.

quote:

Have run Mobil 1 0w40 and Mobil 1 5w40 truck and suv. I have fround no difference in way vehicle runs with these oils. However, I have found that heaver oils such as a 15wX will cause a valve clatter on first start on a cold (below freezing) day.

That would be your VANOS (variable valve timing for the intake valves) making that noise, which as you know can be countered by a lower W rating.

Windnsea00
Could be. However some have stated it is simply the the thicker oil pumping up more slowly to the lifters. Goes away in a few seconds.

Clueless Yuppie idiots driving around in expensive BMWs who don't do care about maintenance.

No wonder BMW is giving free maintenance on their cars in the US. Their reputation will be killed by those yuppie idiots.

PS-Consumer Reports has not been kind to BMW regarding their Reliability Record. I think those clueless idiots have a bearing on that Reliability Record gathered by Consumer Reports.

Why is it that people with expensive cars think that they can get by without any maintenance? I know several friends that have really nice cars (I have a Sunfire...) and they never check anything.

I checked my friend's BMW 330Ci and the oil was black as mud and barely touching dip stick. His responce was, "BMW can handle it."

There are people(myself included) who drive BMW's who don't quite fall into the yuppie idiot category. BMW is largely responsible for the cavalier attitude which exists among some BMW owners. I'm referring to BMW's rediculous and acinine "lifetime fill" fluids(trans/diff/), as well as 15,000 mile OCI. Now, if you want to call free maintenence an oil change every 15,000 miles and never changing fluids a benefit, then you truely are an idiot. Funny how all of a sudden when BMW starts picking up the tab, OCI's suddenly stretch to 15K and no fluid ever needs replacing. *** help those who buy used Bimmers down the road which have had benefit of the FREE maintence. I'll continue to change my oil at 7500, and let them do the next,etc.

I agree with your thoughts Nick, not all of us BMW owners are as Coyote Man would have you believe, sounds more like Bimmer Envy.

A common misconception is that BMW changed the OCI when they introduced free Maintenance, this is not true. The OCI changed when they changed the lubricant.

I have gone 15K and have had good TBN at that time, I do it more often just because I love working on my car, im an aircraft tech by trade.

Not much else I can do with this car but change the oil..... heck on any new car....

I too appreciate the engineering on the car, there is no doubt on how a part fits, it just goes together with ease.

They engineer some things to death, when I picked up my car the dealer gave me the break in procedure as though I was an idiot. To be honest I know I wont be driving this car in 3 years so I could care less... I pulled out of the lot and slammed that pedal down, it was the reason I bought that car after all.

Much to my surprise I found the RPM would not go above somewhere around 3K, what gives? I turned around to head back to the dealer, my salesman is standing watching me pull back in, looking amused. Seems the dock workers would beat the heck out of the cars as they left the container ships, so BMW used software that would not allow engines to be above a preset RPM until 2 0r 3 miles ( dont quote me on that I forget) had accumulated.

Absolutely amazing, its not for everyone, reliability is not as good as my Japanese cars. But then again a Seiko will keep better time than my Tag Heuer, but yet I chose the Tag.

That's why they have 57 Flavors............

BMW has to sell lots of cars to stay in business. That means selling to clueless yuppies and people who should drive Hondas. Be glad the unworthy are not turned away at the dealership because we then would not be able to adopt those neglected cars and give them the homes they deserve.

Well I certainly would not hesitate to buy another BMW. I've got an 8 year old Z3 in the garage that has never had any problems other than a squeeking glove box. My 3 year old Chevy Silverado on the other hand is a complete piece of junk. We've decided that this is the absolute last GM product that we will purchase.

Incidently I think there is a general misconception about BMW owners, all of the ones I know seem to be far more anal about their car maintenance than the average person. Many of the "M" fanatics wont even let anyone else work on the vehicle.

To keep this on topic, anyone know where I can get more info on the ACEA A3 rating? I'm trying to figure out whether a 10w-30 oil is suitable for my 1.9L Z3, I've been using Mobil 1 0w-40 in it for years.

~Sail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back