Decent jumper pack with compressor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a decent jumper pack with inflator. Don't want to go nuts price wise, but my pep boys unit is about dead. Any suggestions?

Some Wal-Mart stores have this gem in stock for $70:

xmo6z7.png

WAL-MART

I've never understood why folks get these.

IMO, a better bet would be a smallish regular automotive battery and a decent set of jumper cables.

Then just top off/float the battery in a garage,and if kept cool and under float, it will last for years upon years.

Makes perfect sense to me. Jump packs are built for this purpose, easy to recharge, and come with things like a compressor.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

IMO, a better bet would be a smallish regular automotive battery and a decent set of jumper cables.

Then just top off/float the battery in a garage,and if kept cool and under float, it will last for years upon years.

for convenience if you want to jump someone its sometimes not convenient to go to your garage and get the battery and cables. I jumped 19 people last year. I won't jump from my car battery.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Did you see the Noco genius boost? Sounds like it would be good for you. Up to 20 jumps per charge, although I would always re charge it when I could. Should be pretty easy to just plug it in every now and then with the included car charger or your own car charger.
for convenience if you want to jump someone its sometimes not convenient to go to your garage and get the battery and cables. I jumped 19 people last year. I won't jump from my car battery.

What the deuce! It put my message inside the quote box again but after I had already read it in the correct format? Something weird this is the third time.

Given the plethora of iphone sized lithium jump starters, it is only matter of time when the chinese would combine a small 12V compressor with that jumper to come up with jumper/inflator which can fit inside your glovebox.

Today, I use a regular jump-starter with an inflator to top off the bike tires and I would buy one if lithium jumper/inflator came on the market in a heart beat.

I don't think we'll see the inflator on the lithium pack soon since those compressors have a pretty strong current draw and get used for many minutes at a time.

The lithium jump starters only give high current for about 1 second which is why they work.

The 12V cheap inflator run at most at 10Amp as that is the maximum current a typical 12V power outlet (the cigarette lighter plug!) provides. I don't believe the lithium pack would have any trouble providing 10A at 12V for many minutes.

Last edited:
How long do these things take to add a few PSI to a "standard" car, not SUV, tire? 12V compressors I have seen in the past took so long that I still felt better off using my tried and true high volume bicycle pump. My tires are 205/55/16. Worst case for a semi monthly top-up is about 15-25 strokes per wheel.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
The 12V cheap inflator run at most at 10Amp as that is the maximum current a typical 12V power outlet (the cigarette lighter plug!) provides. I don't believe the lithium pack would have any trouble providing 10A at 12V for many minutes.

The built in air compressors on jump packs draw directly from the SLA batteries. I think they might draw significantly more than 10 amps but not sure.

On a side note if you did add an air compressor to the lithium jump pack you've defeated the purpose of a glove box jump pack due to the size of the hardware required for the air compressor.

Not to say it won't be done. I wouldn't mind something the size of the clore jump n carry air but with a huge 20,000+ mAh lithium ion battery that weighs much less than the heavy lead batteries.

Also the only interesting lithium ion jump pack I've seen is the Noco unit as all the others seem cheaply made and un safe since they spark heavily if reversed or touched. The noco genius boost is safe with no sparks and reverse hookup protection.

Did you find the photos or video where Noco was compared against another lithium jump pack? I do wonder as to what kind of circuit breaker technology that they use which allows:-

1) extremely low resistance
2) 200-400 Amp peak current for few seconds for cranking
3) but instantly trip under short circuit or reverse polarity

Should be interesting to figure it out.

Last edited:
I don't see how a jump starter could work if it could only be plugged into the cigarette lighter. The lighter typically has a 10 amp fuse, and an engine starter would require far more current than 10 amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back