decent computer toolkit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been working on computers and servers professionally for about five years now.

Maybe I should step it up beyond the 10 dollar tool kits from Frys?

I have a set of ACE Precision screwdrivers, they are ok, but do not have all the sizes I need.

Who makes good toolkits for computers.

Thanks,
Justin

I have a nice wiha screwdriver that holds a number of small precision bits (not the 1/4 inch hex size, smaller) on it. Very handy and can work on anything from an iPhone to a laptop to a desktop.

Hello,

Besides having a few decent quality 1, 2 and 3 size Phillips screwdrivers (Craftsman, Kobalt, Stanley, etc.) and a few flat-head screwdrivers in different sizes, I bought a Kobalt 27-Piece Speed Fit Micro Driver Set a couple of years ago. I really like the quality of Kobalt tools.

This kit is perfect for just about anything, especially the small torx screws inside Macs.

I also have a multi-tool that I'll occasionally use, a small side cutters for cable ties, and a pliers. Usually I'm not needing those.

This is the Kobalt kit I bought:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_123295-86580-SF10_0__?productId=1214015#BVRRWidgetID

A long time ago I bought a Snap-On stubby ratcheting screwdriver, similar to the SSDMR1AO, that's really useful. I started with the standard length, and liked it so much I bought the stubby. The stubby gets more use. A set with bits is probably my most-used item. (Colleagues choke on the price, though. I've never seen a coworker go out and buy one after using mine.)

Seems lately that computers have become almost tool-less. I still have to have a good #3 Phillips for building up old rack equipment, but for the most part the new stuff is tool-less.

Also, you probably want to write down the name of this set, and put the piece of paper in a drawer.
Wadsworth Ratchet set mini super deluxe.
http://www.amazon.com/Wadsworth-Ratchet-...ini+ratchet+set

Once I had a need for the ratchet and a #2 Phillips in a compact rack and this was the only set that could get access. Nothing else could turn the screws. It's not an everyday set - the Phillips has a convex center that likes to cam-out of the fastener (I tried to sandpaper the point flat, but these bits are made of very hard metal), but if you're ever in a bind like I was, this really will save you. Read the five star reviews for where people find the kit useful.

Yes +100, and it's the size of a deck of cards. Another good one can be found in Wiha catalogue, they have a few there.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Also, you probably want to write down the name of this set, and put the piece of paper in a drawer.
Wadsworth Ratchet set mini super deluxe.
http://www.amazon.com/Wadsworth-Ratchet-...ini+ratchet+set

Once I had a need for the ratchet and a #2 Phillips in a compact rack and this was the only set that could get access. Nothing else could turn the screws. It's not an everyday set - the Phillips has a convex center that likes to cam-out of the fastener (I tried to sandpaper the point flat, but these bits are made of very hard metal), but if you're ever in a bind like I was, this really will save you. Read the five star reviews for where people find the kit useful.

+1 I've owned that same set for 20yrs now. It's not only the Cat's Meow, it's also the Whole Kit & Kaboodle! Amazing what I can take apart with the "little red box". I bought mine years ago from Griot's garage. Just love the mini-ratchet for getting into low-swing situations. Contains both SAE & Metric.

Being a tool officianado, and unfortunately someone who always has to be prepared and can never have enough of something because I never know what's going to happen.. I built my own setup.
Started with a tool case from the Sears Catalog, $80 for that, hard plastic with an extra piece for more tools.
I filled that thing up to the gills. It traveled the country with me and I even added stuff to it along the way.
Fortunately, it served me well, and I had something for nearly every situation.
Today though, it sits in the garage, with all its glory days over. Still has the snap on ratcheting screwdrivers, the Mac Tools Pozidrive screwdrivers, the Wiha precision drivers, and a whole hose of pics & tweezer & other goodies.

Best thing really.. build your own box.

Originally Posted By: wapacz
I have thought about getting one of these kits that has all the weird bits your run into every now and then.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/54-Bit-Driver-Kit/IF145-022-1

My dad has one of these and gave me one 2 Christmas' ago. It is fantastic and has a build quality you don't find in small tools nowadays. Handy around the house, on guns, very valuable with computers and electronics.

He actually has and gave me the "pro-tech" kit, (linked from that page) which is better if you are really doing professional computer work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back