Decent “beater” tires...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a while since I have had to ask about tires....

My Cobalt is pretty much at the end of the road with it's current Cooper CS5s. They have been a great tire up until the recent few months.....they are going down fast and hard!

And with this being the family beater with a tad over 100k, I'm not planning on putting the best on it any more. I am looking for a solid tire though, and one that offers some comfort on MI's poopy roads... It's been a little while since I last bought tires so I might be a bit out of the game. Figured it can't hurt to ask!

A high mileage tire is not important, but offering comfort and grip to the car is something I would like. Also open to ideas too...

My first thoughts were maybe General RT43, Uniroyal, and maybe Tokyo tires.....let me know some decent 15inchers!

Thank you!

See what your local craigslists has for used tires or just hit up a used tire store. You should be able to find some decent brands with at least 70-90% of the original tread left. Just remember that bald is about 2/32's and lots of time used places advertise 50% tread left on a 5/32's tire when they were 10/32's new, but that's really only 37.5%. And get your own tread depth gauge at any auto parts store, they're only a few dollars.

Is your tire size 195/60-15?
smile.gif

You should consider the Vredestein Quatrac 5
It is a 3-peak all-season that will give you good winter performance

Walmart has the Nokian WRG4 for $92 each

Walmart's Douglas tires aren't too bad, and they're only $42 each. They are also US-made

Of course, if even that is too much, Walmart does have $31 tires
lol.gif

Walmart douglas isn't a bad tire..i know a few locally that run them all the time... they just don't get the mileage like a more expensive tire would

I have a set of Douglas tires on the Impala and haven't had an issue with them. They were worlds better than the OEM tire that came on our 2017 Elantra (Nexen AH-8). Can't speak for longevity though as they only have about 10k miles on them over 2-1/2 years.

I would stick to the well known, lower cost tires. General RT43 or Uniroyal Tiger Paw would be good choices.

Sentury tires (USA made) are decent for the money. My in-laws have a 2005 Toyota Camry. They drive about 3,000 a year (even less the last few years.) They go to the grocery store and doctors appointments, that's about it. The last set we put on lasted 8 years. I just put another set on for them. Costs like $225 out the door. Drive is very smooth and have never given them any issues at all.

You have a Discount Tire near you, right?

See what they have available. There's a bit of a risk with Chinese tires, but anything else should be OK - albeit not top notch performers.

General RT43's are a great tire for the price, have them on my mom's Fit. Otherwise I'd check a local tire shop for used ones. My sister ran used tires on her rusting 2005 Civic and always found great deals on almost new tires from cars that were wrecked.

GiTi just built a 1/2 billion dollar manufacturing plant in the U.S.A. Gotta give 'em some love for that!

The GiTi / Firestone marketed Primewell PS890 are supposed to be a pretty good tire.

I think Daves87rs should be our guinea pig
smile.gif

I tried to get the wife to put them on her subaru, but she balked.

She with the mid priced sumitomos for about $175 more for 4 tires M&B on the car

The Sumitomo A/S P02 do have some very aggressive rain evacuating tread. Though this side is not the optimal direction of rotatation.

Im not sure I get this assymetrical but NOT directional design theme,

Photo of the Sumitomos on her '17 Crosstrek. The white stuff is crazy pollen this year.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I bought Primewell tires twice and they just don't last. Had an un-repairable hole in one, and the second set really wore down fast...even with regular tire rotations and correct air pressure.

Not a fan of Douglas tires either.

I would second the idea of Cooper tires above at WalMart, Sumitomo, or the Toyo brand also. I am in the market right now for tires and seriously considering both of those brands for price point. In my area, they were only $5 to $8 dollars more per tire versus the Primewell and Douglas.

GL

Last edited:
I'm happy with General RT 43s I figure the time I don't waste looking for a bargain is worth something.
grin2.gif

PS, It is the loose nut behind the wheel that is the major factor in tire wear
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back