Debris found in my Canton oil filter RL Suburban

Status
Not open for further replies.
"What oil was in the beast before?"

RL 5w-20 from 60,000 - 80,000. Not nearly as much cleaning from 60,000 - 70,000 though...

Last edited:
Redline is cleaning the varnish that is binding carbonacous particles in place. What you are seeing are the remnants that are left after all the soluble stuff is suspended in the oil.

TS

Quote:

100 dollar oil filter I will pass. Thanks may I have an another.

I believe it's a secondary by-pass filter that is permanent addition to your engine, with a role of toilet paper placed in as the filter element. Some swear by them.

I like these! You could do oversize, they're synthetic media, the can is SUPER durable, maybe road-debris bulletproof.

The elements are replaceable, ultra-high capacity.

What's not to like?
dunno.gif

None for a Hyundai, though
frown.gif

"It looks like gel. Did you feel any grit in that stuff?"

Yes, it's extrememly gritty - all carbonaceous material.

Wayne

This may be a bit off topic....

I have a 4 year old Toro mower that never used a drop of oil until this year when I went from bagging to mulching. I always used Pennzoil 10W30 and after the switch to mulching it started using oil (About 1/2 way down the stick every 3 mowings). I switched to Redline 10W30 and the oil level never budged from full (12-15 mowings). I just changed the oil the other day and discovered lots black flakes in the oil pan just like in your filter wwillson though my oil was a bit darker in color. I also noticed the engine ran smoother the last 2 or three mowings. I am sold on Redline/Ester based oils... Now if I could only get it cheaper.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back