debating fram xg on my 2014 civic all opinions plz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok dumb as this is I really need help I personally love the Fram xg but have reservations because of the thick media and these civics having tighter tolerances and smaller pumps I'm concerned about not getting good flow and overworking my oil pump. I would really appretiate all opinions and or experiences good or bad even if you think Im being rediculous chime in lay it on me please.
It's the 1.8l i-vtech

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ccapital83
Ok dumb as this is I really need help I personally love the Fram xg but have reservations because of the thick media and these civics having tighter tolerances and smaller pumps I'm concerned about not getting good flow and overworking my oil pump. I would really appretiate all opinions and or experiences good or bad even if you think Im being rediculous chime in lay it on me please.
It's the 1.8l i-vtech
Tighter clearances or tolerances? I really don't get the the FLOW part, though people always wonder about the flow. Where do they get the idea? I also don't know about the overworking the oil pump parts either. The engine is the highest restriction the oil pump sees. The most important oil filter is the air filter. The air filter and seal will have more bearing in the engine life than any proper oil or oil filter you choose unless the filter element breaks apart and clogs the oil passages

I seriously doubt Fram would put something out in the marketplace that carried the risk of damaging engines. Think about it.

I have flow specs on the XG 7317 (same size that fits your car). I wouldn't be concerned about flow. If you take it easy on warm up, and don't rev it up high when its cold you should not have any problems with the filter, or the oil pump going into bypass. The main reason I am using the Ultra is because of the excellent filtration specs (99% at 20 microns, and 80% at 5 microns) those numbers are outstanding. Plus you can use it for 2 OCI with confidence.

Edit: Not trying to nit pick, but Hondas variable valve timing system is called i-vtec, not i-vtech

Last edited:
Sorry my punctuation sucks. You said you have flow info assuming it doesn't flow as freely as a standard oil filter does?

Originally Posted By: ccapital83
It's the 1.8l i-vtech

You can't really "over work" a positive displacement oil pump.

The Ultra (XG) flows better than most filters because it's full synthetic. Your engine is 15 times more restrictive than any oil filter ... maybe 20 times more restrictive than an XG.

No worries about oil flow ... go for it if you want to use an XG.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I have flow specs on the XG 7317 (same size that fits your car). I wouldn't be concerned about flow.

I'd like to see that flow data too. Motorking gave some flow specs for the Ultra (don't recall which one, medium sized), and it flowed better than a PureOne, which flows very good too.

I really wish people would stop preaching about FLOW, the engines tolerances controls the flow and oil pressure, NOT the oil filter.

Originally Posted By: zpinch
I really wish people would stop preaching about FLOW, the engines tolerances controls the flow and oil pressure, NOT the oil filter.

Exactly ... it's not feed by a pressure source like a garden hose.
grin.gif

However, if a filter is very restrictive, it would make the positive displacement oil pump hit pressure relief much sooner at higher PRM, and when at that point the flow would be somewhat less.

A good flowing filter will allow an engine to hit red line RPM with hot oil and not cause the oil pump to hit pressure relief.

Engine clearances . tolerance is the allowed deviation in the clearances. Example the bering clearance is [I am making up a number] .002 [clearance] = or - .00005.[which would be allowable machining tolerance.

Ok looks like an apology is in order for me here so to all the people I upset I truly am sorry. I know it was a noob question and to some of you frustrating seems some others freak about tolerances and flow. I should have explained better you see to me the farm ultra is awesome and I've used in my other cars that had big powerful motors. This is my first new car with a tiny motor. That plus a few months back in a forum I read a guy who claimed he called honda to ask about using 5w30 because the dealer put that on his receipt for a oil change instead of 0w20 and honda told him they call for 0w20 because of small passages and oil pump being smaller than the past. I cannot confirm that it's just what I saw. All of that is why I posted the question just wanted to see what others felt of filter. I really am sorry to anyone who may have got frustrated I didnt mean any harm.

Originally Posted By: CT8

Engine clearances . tolerance is the allowed deviation in the clearances. Example the bering clearance is [I am making up a number] .002 [clearance] = or - .00005.[which would be allowable machining tolerance.

Yes, thank you for the correction, I meant clearances, ie. bearing clearances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back