Death of guy working on car in Nevada might have been from California earthquake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe 100 miles from the epicenter - in Pahrump, Nevada. They found that his Jeep had pinned him after it fell off his jack stands.

https://ktla.com/2019/07/09/1st-fat...-100-miles-from-epicenter-investigators/

That's always been my worry about using jack stands. I use ramps and still worry that maybe my car will fall off in case of an earthquake. I guess jack stands might be a bit more vulnerable than ramps where the wheels are properly centered. Also - when I use ramps I usually only go part way up - just enough to get the clearance I need. And when I work on my car I prefer to do it with everything flat on the ground.

I guess this could happen with any lifted vehicle, although I'm not sure how secure most commercial vehicle lifts are.

All the jackstands I own are made from cast metal, which is probably fine, but I often wish they were forged.

I've seen cast metal fracture and break clean apart for whatever reason. Not a comforting thought.

I'm kind of a fan of jack stands, and a jack, basically an insurance policy. Almost no earthquakes here, but with my luck the garage would just fall on me anyway!
crazy.gif

So he was using a farm jack........ a notoriously tippy, very dangerous type of jack

and possibly a cinderblock.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Even on jack stands I slide the wheel under the car so at least it won't squish me flat.

+1

It's a cheap insurance policy I always use. Better a marked wheel and tire than a crushed body.

Looks like he lived a tough life..... would a lonely jack stand even save you from a major earthquake? Doubt it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Do people really live like this?(in the desert?)

I've seen people living in travel trailers in pretty much every State.

Last edited:
What an awful way to die, pinned under one's probably cherished machine with no help apparently available.
I think of this every time I get underneath a lifted vehicle and while I try to be cautious about it, I find myself always trusting to luck.
So far it's held for me.

I think it's a lot of speculation that this was caused by the earthquake.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
The cinder block looks fine. Why are people blaming it?

Probably because the wheel was probably resting on it before the earthquake?

Originally Posted by y_p_w
Also - when I use ramps I usually only go part way up - just enough to get the clearance I need.

Growing up in Southern CA, I've been through quite a few earthquakes. I would think it would be safer with the vehicle all the way up on the ramps. During an earthquake, the shaking of the car may cause it to slide down the slope of the ramp rather than being on the flat part of the ramp, plus being higher may give you slightly more time to get the H, E, Double Toothpicks outta there!!

Wow, sorry to hear.

I will always use jack stands when under a vehicle, and unless I'm raising or lowering something with the floor jack, then the jack will be used also.

If I have a tire removed, I will always slide it under the frame for added insurance....may be a tight fit if the vehicle fell but the wheel/tire isn't going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back