Death Mower From Heck

My wife owns a landscaping company. She started out as a partner, but about the point she put enough money for us to retire on into the money pit, the other partner (who had nothing in) bailed.

Other than my non-voluntary financial contributions, I've had little to do with the company. She's territorial, and it's her thing.

One of the things they do is maintenance. She has recently started giving her crews Saturday off, but she had a couple of lawns to do today due to a scheduling mixup, and she asked me to help. Ok, how could it hurt if I did a couple of lawns? Besides, I'd get to drive my truck for the first time in about half a year.

My truck was loaded with all the necessary equipment (ummm, she "kidnapped" it almost 6 months ago, and I haven't been able to get it back). We got to the first job site, and I looked at about a 10 square meter lawn. Maybe a 5 minute job.

Hauled the mower out, and looked at it. Couldn't see a kill switch, so after moving the throttle from max/choke to mid position, I put a foot on the deck and pulled the cord. Bad idea. It had a motor drive (I did not realize that), and her employees had circumvented all the safeties, to include attaching the cutoff lever to the handle with a bungee cord.

Just my luck, it started with the first pull. The mower took off like a bloodhound on the scent as I quickly spun around and grabbed the handle with one hand. Did I mention I was off balance? Went down as the mower tried to drag me through the neighborhood. If I would have been anyone other than the one holding on, I'd have laughed myself to death watching the scene unfold.

As I'm on the ground, I tilted the thing so only the rear wheels would hit the pavement and spin as I held it. About that time, the wife remembered being told that the bungee cord had to be removed before it was started. She came over and tried to help by prying my hand off the handle (which would have sent the demon-posessesed machine off in search of neighborhood kids and dogs), while yelling at me to "let go". After I calmly explained I needed to keep a grip on the handle (ok, not so calmly, but I'm the one telling the story) I figured I may be able to kill the engine by moving the throttle to the position it was in when this story started. Put it in the max position, and the motor quit.

I'm not sure what the moral of the story is but I'm upping my liability insurance. A lot. And I'm going to start riding a motorcycle again. I figure if I'm going to get road rash, I might as well get some enjoyment out of it.

crackmeup2.gif
Sorry you had to go through that, but thanks for the laugh!

At least you know how to think on your feet, and on the ground...

Could have been a lot worse, of course, it could have been better. Glad you are somewhat OK.

Maybe getting the wife a new planner would be a good idea? Take care!

Oh, I'm ok. Just a skinned knee. But I'm going to milk that one for all it's worth. She's running some errands now, but I think a 12-pack of Sam Adams finest might be in my future.
11.gif

Glad you made it.

Your wife is in a tricky position at present.

In Oz, if there were to be an incident in the workplace (or even worse a member of the public becomes involved), the presence of disabled safety features would make her instantly liable for criminal prosecution.

There are pretty strict laws here in the U.S. about that, but for some reason, Nevada seems exempt. They have a state OSHA, but the only purpose of it seems to operate as a lap dog for the major corporations in order to keep the Feds out.
I intend to have some major "have speaks" with her about liability. I have to be careful, though. My biggest fear is that if her company went under, her workers may end up in Switzerland working on the Large Haldron Collider. If they did their usual trick of disabling safety devices to get the thing working, we might all end up vanishing in a black hole.

My work is agriculture related and it takes a huge effort not to let my defenses down in order to not get maimed or killed.

I need to read stories like yours several times a year to remind me to stay safe. Thank you.

Your statement "I'd have laughed myself to death watching the scene unfold" is somewhat haunting. Google lawn mower accidents and then click images for some sobering pictures.

Sorry to everyone for bringing up the negative aspect of this otherwise humorous anecdote.

Don't apologise. When I was much younger I did work on a farm. That was dangerous. And hard work. This was funnier than you-know-what, other than the fact I looked like an idiot.

I really wasn't worried about injuring myself on the mower. My wife, on the other hand had no clue about the danger involved. That part worries me.

The gentleman who strapped down the safety bar is going to be fired on Monday. Not just for that, but for a number of other things. He is perhaps the dumbest individual on the planet. As an accident waiting to happen, he can do it to someone else.

Quote:
I really wasn't worried about injuring myself on the mower. My wife, on the other hand had no clue about the danger involved. That part worries me.

She really needs a good talking to!!! Perhaps she'd consider employing you as a 'safety consultant'? Should something happen to someone or something out there, she gets zero slack for "not knowing that my employees circumvented safety devices".

Quote:

He is perhaps the dumbest individual on the planet. As an accident waiting to happen, he can do it to someone else.

shocked2.gif

Quote:

She really needs a good talking to!!! Perhaps she'd consider employing you as a 'safety consultant'? Should something happen to someone or something out there, she gets zero slack for "not knowing that my employees circumvented safety devices".

Quote:

He is perhaps the dumbest individual on the planet. As an accident waiting to happen, he can do it to someone else.

shocked2.gif
No matter how dumb he is there is a lot even dumber. There seems to be no lower boundary.

Back