Death comes for us all, Oroku Saki

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what happens when no one takes home the class pet folks. This little fellow and his cage mate were quite evil rats who had bitten both a student and teachers alike, and after a long deliberation, we decided that the most reasonable thing to do was to eat them. I'm also relatively certain they had engaged in homosexual relations, were communists, and did not recycle. These notably did not "taste like chicken"; I would say closer to pheasant if anything (still very mild). The texture is what I see as limiting the culinary potential here, which was an odd combination of stringy and tender... 50% or so of the meat is probably in the hindquarters, and none of it is terribly accessible. I've heard people say they are "greasy" before, but this was not true in this case anyway. They went for a nap with a curry-mint marinade and then onto the grill, which now that I've actually tried it, would say should be secondary to something like braising with a tomato-based sauce. Accompanied on the plate are an Indonesian rice salad and grilled sweet potatoes.

Originally Posted By: wcbcruzer
That is nasty.

Surely you didn't expect anything else, considering the source!
shocked2.gif

Bob

A rodent is a rodent is a rodent is still a rodent. Anyone who eats rabbit and hare might as well eat squirrel, hamster, capybara etc.

Originally Posted By: Julian
Death comes for us all

For some it comes sooner rather that later.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Nothing like a little hare in your food!!

Have you been eating out again?

Yeah, yeah, lagomorph. Bon appétit!

Originally Posted By: moribundman
A rodent is a rodent is a rodent is still a rodent. Anyone who eats rabbit and hare might as well eat squirrel, hamster, capybara etc.
As a rule, rabbit certainly. Squirrel kind of falls into the same camp as rat, and I just don't think I could bring myself to eat a snuggly little capybara. Now hamster on the other hand, can't get enough hamsters. Hamster ice cream, pickled hamster, hamster stew, hamster Carpaccio, hamster-on-a-stick, hamster loaf, hamster and cheese sandwiches... it's hard to choose.

You're right, so why not? At least rabbit has some good meat on it.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Nothing like a little hare in your food!!

Have you been eating out again?

Yeah, yeah, lagomorph. Bon appétit!

Lagomorphs (loģ o-moŕ fs)(Gr. lagos, hare: + morphē, form) differ from rodents in that:

they have four incisors in the upper jaw (not two, as in the Rodentia);
they are almost wholly herbivorous (unlike rodents, many of which will eat both meat and vegetation; the few recorded exceptions within the Lagomorpha occur among members of both Lepus and Ochotona, and involve the occasional foraging for carrion as a supplementary winter food source);[2][3][4]
the male's scrotum is in front of the [censored] (unlike rodents, which is behind); and the [censored] contains no bone (baculum), unlike in rodents.
However, they resemble rodents in that their teeth grow throughout their life, thus necessitating constant chewing to keep them from growing too long.
----------
Too much info, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Cogito
At least rabbit has some good meat on it.

If you had only rabbit meat to eat and nothing else, you'd starve to death. Maybe it's just an old wives' tale, but I don't care to find out.
wink.gif

Given that Oz survived on rabbit during the depression, I think that you are right mori.

Some lack of some particular protein or something....you could eat grass fed cow only and survive well.

At least a Guinea pig is a genuine rodent. Isn't that right, Mr Cogito "I'm smarter than a fifth grader?"
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Cogito
At least rabbit has some good meat on it.

If you had only rabbit meat to eat and nothing else, you'd starve to death. Maybe it's just an old wives' tale, but I don't care to find out.
wink.gif

You could probably say the same thing about steak or chicken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back