Dearborn River Rouge Assembly ca. 1962

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, this brought back a lot of memories. in 1966 I went on a tour of the Mustang plant in Edison NJ, my uncle worked there. It was fascinating to watch all the components come together to make a completed vehicle.

Whimsey

Cool video, thanks for posting. If I could zap back to 1962 to option and order one for myself...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Was that Fairlanes they were building? The Chassis for the upcoming Mustang I suppose.

I was under the impression that the Falcon chassis was used for the Mustang, similar size vehicles.

Whimsey

'62 Fairlane 500s. Guessing they also built the compact Falcon there, which shared it's chassis with the early Mustang (obviously starting in '63-'64 for the introduction of the '64 1/2 Mustang). Sad that FOMOCO has dumped their car manufacturing in the USA entirely-guessing there's not enough profit or sales in it.

Originally Posted by Whimsey
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Was that Fairlanes they were building? The Chassis for the upcoming Mustang I suppose.

I was under the impression that the Falcon chassis was used for the Mustang, similar size vehicles.

Whimsey

Yeah, I think you are right there. The old mind is full of cobwebs.
Gen 1 Mustang, Not a great chassis even though the car is loved by many.

My dad bought a leftover '67 convertible white on black straight 6 with 3 on the floor for around 2200 bucks new at the end of the year.
Very pretty car I might have a photo somewhere. I recall there rear window was glass and was split longwise and had a rubber hinge.

He had it two years as a commuter and then was on to something else. Opel GT or SAAB Sonett V4.

We did love our '63 Galaxie 500 convertible; In the top three of best cars the family ever owned.

Bangin' 'em out. UAW folk scratching out a decent middle class paycheck.

I still get a kick out of watching those wheel and cylinder head torquing tools in action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back