Deals on Batteries for 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I'm looking for a new battery for my daughter's 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.7 Hemi. Is anybody having any sales or deals right now?

Thanks,

Walmart's regular prices for their Everstart batteries are pretty much unrivaled by most other retailers (except Costco/Sam's Club for Interstate and Duracell, respectively). I did successfully get an O'Reilly's to price match Walmart for a 24F, but most other locations and Autozones/Advance locations weren't interested in price matching Walmart and were about $40-60 higher for equivalent batteries. It's hard to justify that difference for what is most likely the same thing (in the case of JCI 24F batteries, most are identical within a given spec range).

That Jeep takes an AGM, right? If it's an AGM H8, I see $170 at Walmart vs $200 at Autozone and O'Reilly, and $220 at AAP. There's a very good chance that Walmart's Everstart is the same as (or very similar to, in the case of East Penn that O'Reilly may sell) most of those, and you are probably more likely to get a fresh battery there rather than a dusty old one from July of 2017 at your local Napa or similar, particularly in a less-common size.

I bought 2 batteries this winter and had the same experience as TmanP. Also both batteries that we replaced were originally purchased at Walmart and they each lasted just over 2 years.

Only lasting two years isn't encouraging. I wonder why the short life? Were they the MAXX or the lower line of Wal-mart battery?

I now am running a six year old Interstate that I want to replace in the next month or two and would be dissapointed to purchase a new battery that didn't last but a few years now.

Only lasting two years isn't encouraging. I wonder why the short life? Were they the MAXX or the lower line of Wal-mart battery?

I now am running a six year old Interstate that I want to replace in the next month or two and would be dissapointed to purchase a new battery that didn't last but a few years now.

As far as I can tell, the AAP/Autozone batteries are identical to WM batteries within their positioning at each store. That is, AAP's lowest-level battery appears to be the same as Autozone's ValuCraft ($110) which itself appears to be the same as the $55 EverStart at WM. Similar spreads exist for the midline and premium equivalents (e.g. Duralast Gold 24F at $170 should be identical to the Everstart Maxx at $100). In most markets, those are all JCI batteries; CCA and other specs appear very similar or identical (within the scope of rounding, in most cases). The other major brand is East Penn; they make the Duracells at Sam's Club and the SuperStarts at O'Reilly's. There are very few major battery manufacturers and this is one case of products being very similar across labels (although not necessarily within labels - the more expensive batteries of a given brand weigh more (more plates) and have more CCA). (Also, the Interstates at Costco appear to be similar to the "Gold" level at WM/AAP/AZ; they aren't quite the same as the more expensive line of Interstates at their dealers.)

pharden

Thanks for your advice. I'll check Walmart for a fresh battery. I don't anticipate that we'll hang on to the Jeep for any more than another year as my daughter is moving back to NYC.

Try to stick with the same group as OEM uses.
I know that sometimes Advance will sell a silver line battery smaller than OEM and they put a plastic shim in the battery box to get it to fit in your car.
Usually the gold line is the OE size.

2 best deals I have found are Costco (premium battery - 3 year warranty) and Walmarts $55 battery (economy - Has a 1 year warranty).

If you do not have a costco membership and want better than economy then advance auto with one of their coupons would be next.

those NOT driving enough or topping their battery with a good smart charger WILL have shorter life from them + any battery that fits will do! my aunts 99 jeep had an Advance auto flooded battery for 7 years, + those in hotter climates might do better with flooded as you can add fluid unlike sealed ones!! years ago i went thru THREE die hards, an odd size for my 62 chev so they sat activated on the shelf tooo long without sale or topping up!!!

The OReilly SuperStart H7 is $169 with a $15 rebate/gift card. I installed it in my Jeep and it fit like OEM.

Last edited:
I haven’t had any luck with the last two Everstart batteries we got. We get ours now from the Interstate Battery place here or Auto Zone or Napa if going with a parts store. Rural King batteries are good too from my experience. It may not be cheap but that’s the only batteries I’ve had luck with. The Everstart used to be all we would buy but now I see why the mechanics call them Never start. Duracell are good too but Sam’s didn’t want to sell it directly to me they wanted to install it which I would not let them especially after they told me they use anti seize on the battery terminals instead of something like dielectric grease. So I would not buy one from them either I took the battery out of my car brought it then they wanted to install when my vehicle wasn’t even there.

I've seen a lot of posts here about Rural King and Exide sourced batteries in general being the most expensive cheap batteries you ever bought because they're so bad about leaking and destroying cables.

The way I see it is. Who do you want to deal with Autozone, Walmart, O'reillys, Costco.......ETC when or if you have issues with your battery ?? Which retailer is worth your time and hassle to replace/warranty ????

Coicendtly, My brother just picked up a '09 Tahoe hybrid and it needed a new battery(standard battery not the hybrid) and shopping around he decided on a Autozone platinum AGM for $165 out the door no core (My AZ manager hookup)

Me, personally. I would just get a Walmart battery and call it a day since there is a Walmart almost every 10 miles from somewhere lol The one in my Escalade was a $100 #78 MAXX and only 1 year old. Manager said it was "Swollen" and just swapped me out for a new one no questions asked

Dave

I just bought a costco Battery because I figured if for any reason I wasn't satisfied within the 36month during it's warranty period, Costco would be easiest to deal with. I wonld'nt even have to bother with saving my receipt, they can just look it up with my membership card.

The size I needed is 24F, the Duralast Gold and AAP diehard are both advertised as 750cca, where as walmart is a korean made 725cca or something... and the costco is speced at 700CCA.

Well, i still decided to go with costco since the original battery for my car was spec-ed at 582CCA, and even that lasted me more than 4 years

I took my battery tester with me to Costco and the first one i grabbed with the 03/21 sticker tested at 815CCA , 98% charged.
I was happy with that so I bought it.

I suggest go with Costco if you want a good deal on a good battery and hassle free return if it really does have to come to that.

I just bought a costco Battery because I figured if for any reason I wasn't satisfied within the 36month during it's warranty period, Costco would be easiest to deal with. I wonld'nt even have to bother with saving my receipt, they can just look it up with my membership card.

The size I needed is 24F, the Duralast Gold and AAP diehard are both advertised as 750cca, where as walmart is a korean made 725cca or something... and the costco is speced at 700CCA.

Well, i still decided to go with costco since the original battery for my car was spec-ed at 582CCA, and even that lasted me more than 4 years

I took my battery tester with me to Costco and the first one i grabbed with the 03/21 sticker tested at 815CCA , 98% charged.
I was happy with that so I bought it.

I suggest go with Costco if you want a good deal on a good battery and hassle free return if it really does have to come to that.

They don't sell AGM in our area.

did you ask at Costco or just look???...I only mention this as I asked about the AGM battery for my 2015 Chevrolet SS sedan and was told that a nearby Costco had them in stock but that my Costco did not carry them nor could they order it or have it transferred to my closest location...I thought this strange in light of the mostly great policies held at Costco but there it is...hope it helps

Bill

update on my costco battery...
After installed in my car for few days, i tested it (in-Vehicle) in the morning after being parked overnight

morning 1 was 750cca
morning 2 was 765cca