Dealing with Verizon FIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they? After the introductory period is over, they have jacked up the prices. Comcast is banging at the door constantly. Do Verizon have a retention department?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
After the introductory period is over, they have jacked up the prices.

I'm pretty sure they all do that.

Yes they do and they're pretty terrible. My bill went up considerably after my two year trial period. When I called to renew, I thought I could renew for two more years and get one of the deals available on their website. The person told me that those deals were only for new customers, and that my increased price was the best price I can get for the package I had. I spoke with the person for while, with the person continually contradicting himself (and me pointing it out) but they refused to do anything. After a little while the person told me that he's not even authorized to offer any deals, I'd have to talk to the customer retention department. So I spoke with them and they basically did nothing, I got moved up to a higher tier TV package for like only $5 more than the raised price I had started paying, but that was it. It definitely wasn't as good as the deal they have advertised on their website.

I'm locked in for another year, and don't get me wrong I'm happy with their service, but I'm not willing to pay any more. If my price goes up after my contract ends, or if I can save a decent amount of money each month going to their competitor, that's what I'll do when it's time to renew.

The question I have now is how long do I have to stop being a customer for me to be able to get the new customer pricing. If it's just a few days, then I don't mind going without TV/Phone/Internet for a couple days, then calling them up and signing back up.

Or similarly, can you call them up and tell them you're moving out and want to cancel, then have your wife call up and say she's moving in and wants to subscribe with them? Or maybe your wife can just call up and say you're moving out and she wants to transfer everything to her. It's a new contract with a new name and SSN on the bill, shouldn't that be counted as a new customer? I might try something like that when my contract expires because it really was a decent savings over what I'm paying now, plus new customers get better internet speeds and TV channels.

Originally Posted By: sicko

The question I have now is how long do I have to stop being a customer for me to be able to get the new customer pricing. If it's just a few days, then I don't mind going without TV/Phone/Internet for a couple days, then calling them up and signing back up.

Time Warner took less than a month to start sending me promos again - that were the exact same promos I had when I signed up.

And for switching with the wife - a coworker at an old job did that ... still does

My cost after the 2-year contract went from $79.99 to something like $115.00.

I called up and asked them to quote me the price for dropping TV and keeping phone and internet. I had every intention of going back to the antenna. That call somehow got me $25 in credits, so I'm down to $89.99 like the "new customer" ads. It sounds like you might need to push the retention people a little harder.

Also, after you get the best deal you can on the base price, see if your employer participates in the "Connections" program. That can give you another $10 off certain bundles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back