Dealetship oil change burned me for the last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crawl under and do it yourself. Hard to blame yourself if something isn't perfect.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
Originally Posted By: Idlewild294
Because the oil was not clear like new synthetic. It was changed, but it was slightly darker as if it was mostly new with a little old.

This was my last oil change at the stupid stupid dealer but atleast they changed it. I would add that you should check before and after an oil change to see change in color to determine how much didn't come out or if they even changed it, although this is hard sometimes. The bitter pill to swallow becomes the oil gets dark even faster and you will need a 2-3k oil change versus 4-5k. $ucks. I am facing this right now, the oil is dark and very badly diluted but the MMS is only at 70%

You do realize that this is bitog and that color isn't an indicator of how much life is left in the oil right? That's why people do uoa's to see for sure. An oil that turns dark quickly could just mean it's doing a better job of cleaning the engine than one that doesn't. But that doesn't mean it's worn out and needs to be changed.

Oil, especially in a gas engine, should definitely not look dark after 35 miles. There is obviously enough of the old oil to make the new oil look dark.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Crawl under and do it yourself. Hard to blame yourself if something isn't perfect.

and perfection is the name of the game here! I try to use pyrex lab beakers to check the volume of both the out going and in going oil. Helpful to keep the fills within 50ml.
lol.gif

I hate to wear my psychologist's hat because it makes me sound like a know-it-all....but here goes.

Bringing your special oil to a dealership (or most anywhere else) is a challenge to their territory.
ALL employees at dealerships are spat upon. There's no security. The owner is KING and his immediate management staff are little aspiring Hitlers.
The grunts are frequently just meth-heads paying off their flat screen TV's.
They also "need something to stand for" so they'll bully someone somehow to feel good.

Think about it. If you offer to bring in your own oil, how can a service writer say, "No sir, we don't like doing that". He'll just smile.

You'd think they'd have it so they could use the unused "free oil" for themselves.

We BITOGers are a hands-on, problem solving bunch. Dealing with miserable slaves starts at the bottom of a slimy hole.
Happy climbing!

There is a sick element we can't even fathom. A "Gosh-gee-wilickers, how ever did that happen" response isn't allowed.

Originally Posted By: Kira
I hate to wear my psychologist's hat because it makes me sound like a know-it-all....but here goes.

Bringing your special oil to a dealership (or most anywhere else) is a challenge to their territory.
ALL employees at dealerships are spat upon. There's no security. The owner is KING and his immediate management staff are little aspiring Hitlers.
They also "need something to stand for" so they'll bully someone somehow to feel good.

Think about it. If you offer to bring in your own oil, how can a service writer say, "No sir, we don't like doing that". He'll just smile.

You'd think they'd have it so they could use the unused "free oil" for themselves.

We BITOGers are a hands-on, problem solving bunch. Dealing with miserable slaves starts at the bottom of a slimy hole.
Happy climbing!

There is a sick element we can't even fathom. A "Gosh-gee-wilickers, how ever did that happen" response isn't allowed.

Sounds about right to me!

And it's not a free oil change if you're bringing the oil...
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: Idlewild294
Well, I chose to let the dealership do my first few free oil changes on my 2017 Tundra, and on my second oil change at 10,000 miles they overfilled it by at least a quart. I drove 35 miles home, checked the oil, and sure enough overfilled. I even gave them 8 quarts of Mobil 1 (7.9 capacity), and it looks like they rushed getting a good drain on the old oil. Now, I got home and immediately checked the dipstick for bubbles, and I found only a handful of them. I then checked it about 15 minutes later to get a more accurate level. I just started completely over and changed it myself. Is there anything that I should overly concerned with regarding long term engine or seal damage? I’ve never checked my oil that quick after driving it so I don’t know if a few bubbles would be normal or not. I figured I would call the dealership and politely let them know what happened, but I doubt it would matter, but I can only assume that this happens very frequently with most people never knowing. Any advice or input is greatly appreciated.

Toyota dealer here always over fills at least 1/2 quart or more

How does the saying go? No such thing as a free lunch?

It's pretty rare for someone else to take as good care of a vehicle as you will. You might do as little possible, but it'd be rare for someone else to go to the littlest detail, not when they have to pay the bills.

OP, that skidplate is a bit of a pain to remove, but I can usually manage without resorting to jacking. I don't bother with predraining the filter, and I buy OEM filters online by the box (cheaper that way). I have a filter canister meant for the Venza's 3.5L ready to go in; it's metal instead of the cheesy-feeling plastic. Some guys have done that, swapping over the perforated tube, and have reported it works fine.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
The only difference between a car stealership vs a drug dealer is that a car "dealer" is selling a legal product. Both of them will lie, cheat and steal while smiling at you and laughing all the way to the bank; and the car stealership will destroy your car with carelessness, deny it to your face, and expect you to pay them $150 per hour.

I do not change my own oil and maintain my cars because I want to; I do it because I have peace of mind knowing what has been done and how. There is a Chevrolet dealership less than a mile from my home; I wouldn't let them air up my kid's bike tires; and this is sad because my wife and I USED TO BE good customers there. They totally destroyed their own credibility, not once, but too many times to recall. Rant over.

I would imagine some drug dealers are honest...

Under warranty, I had to have some transmission solenoids replaced. After I brought it home from the dealership I checked the fluid. It was about an 1-1/2" over the FULL mark. When I looked at the receipt it read 5 qts. of trans fluid. The pan holds 4 qts. Luckily I had welded a thread o let onto my pan for a drain and they were able to drain out what was not needed.
That's a shame the Ford tech that repaired my trans. didn't even know how many qts. the pan held! SMH!
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: Kira

Happy climbing!

Excellent post!

CarFax ONLY shows information submitted by the dealer + owner! got a CarFax for my recently purchased 2011 frontier with under 28,xxx miles, only thing it showed was yearly inspections + one dealer visit NO details. i did find out why the underside of the truck looked poorly, it was purchased + lived in snowy Mass!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back