Dealetship oil change burned me for the last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pajero
I would call Toyota Motor North America. The Stealerships answer to them. It's rare, but I've heard of a Stealership loosing their license. Your vehicle should be fine. Sorry that happened.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Toyota's main concern with its dealers is that they keep the metal moving, as is true for any manufacturer.
No dealership that achieves its volume goals is going to get its franchise yanked just because a customer or two complains about the free vehicle service they got.
This is the reason that so many dealerships are absolute holes to deal with, although not all are like that and there are some you'd both trust and shop again.
The OP apparently isn't dealing with one of these.

Originally Posted By: Idlewild294
Well, I chose to let the dealership do my first few free oil changes on my 2017 Tundra, and on my second oil change at 10,000 miles they overfilled it by at least a quart. I drove 35 miles home, checked the oil, and sure enough overfilled. I even gave them 8 quarts of Mobil 1 (7.9 capacity), and it looks like they rushed getting a good drain on the old oil. Now, I got home and immediately checked the dipstick for bubbles, and I found only a handful of them. I then checked it about 15 minutes later to get a more accurate level. I just started completely over and changed it myself. Is there anything that I should overly concerned with regarding long term engine or seal damage? I’ve never checked my oil that quick after driving it so I don’t know if a few bubbles would be normal or not. I figured I would call the dealership and politely let them know what happened, but I doubt it would matter, but I can only assume that this happens very frequently with most people never knowing. Any advice or input is greatly appreciated.

Why didn't you check the oil-dipstick, before driving away from the dealership?
Also, how are you convinced they didn't keep your eight quarts of Mobil-1 and used their bulk oil instead?

Originally Posted By: DIANgEMinONV
Oil change places (including many dealerships) won't pay attention to 0.1 of a quart. Even when the oil capacity is something like 4.2-4.5, they usually pour 5 quarts. I've noticed too that the dealership overfilled my car a few times. It is better (and usually less expensive) to do it yourself, and even more important than price -- you really do know that you are using a high-quality oil, and not the bulk one.

A few years ago I went to the stealership for a $20 promo oil change.They charged me $30+recycle looked on the bill and it extra was for the 5th Qt of oil (deal good for 4 qts...). Argued with "service adviser" that my 1.6 Civic had a 3.5 Qt capacity and if they put 5 they did it wrong and wrongfully billed me extra for it. They still insisted that their highly trained technicians are the ultimate experts and can do no wrong. I left rather to argue $10 and never used their service again.

Originally Posted By: Jooksing
A few years ago I went to the stealership for a $20 promo oil change.They charged me $30+recycle looked on the bill and it extra was for the 5th Qt of oil (deal good for 4 qts...). Argued with "service adviser" that my 1.6 Civic had a 3.5 Qt capacity and if they put 5 they did it wrong and wrongfully billed me extra for it. They still insisted that their highly trained technicians are the ultimate experts and can do no wrong. I left rather to argue $10 and never used their service again.

Man I would've told those [censored]-clowns to go grab my 1 and a half quarts of oil I paid for so I could take it home with me.

Free is not for me. I tell the dealer to keep the free oil changes and give me something else. It is not worth the hassle of checking their work, the drive there, leaving the car, and the drive back to get it. I could go on and on, about drain time, how they tighten things, fill it, the oil they use, etc. etc. etc. No thanks.

To the the op,here's what I bet happened. They try to get as many cars in and out of there as possible in the least amount of time. They're not going to thoroughly drain every drop of oil,they're going to wait for the flow to reasonably slow down,throw the drain plug back on,and pour your entire 5 quart jug of M1 in. That's why your oil was slightly overfilled. Your car will be fine. As to those "free" oil changes,they weren't free,they were weaseled into the price of your car,so you essentially pre-paid for them.

I have run my 2005 Buick LeSabre many times with a quart over,,, never blown the engine...works for me...

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
To the the op,here's what I bet happened. They try to get as many cars in and out of there as possible in the least amount of time. They're not going to thoroughly drain every drop of oil,they're going to wait for the flow to reasonably slow down,throw the drain plug back on,and pour your entire 5 quart jug of M1 in. That's why your oil was slightly overfilled. Your car will be fine. As to those "free" oil changes,they weren't free,they were weaseled into the price of your car,so you essentially pre-paid for them.

That's if they even put the OP's oil in. There's a good chance if you're not standing there watching them pour it in, it's not being used. I knew plenty of techs that would keep the customer's oil and add bulk oil.

Good point in the "free" oil changes.
thumbsup2.gif

Because the oil was not clear like new synthetic. It was changed, but it was slightly darker as if it was mostly new with a little old.

Last edited:
Because the oil was not clear like new synthetic. It was changed, but it was slightly darker as if it was mostly new with a little old.

This was my last oil change at the stupid stupid dealer but atleast they changed it. I would add that you should check before and after an oil change to see change in color to determine how much didn't come out or if they even changed it, although this is hard sometimes. The bitter pill to swallow becomes the oil gets dark even faster and you will need a 2-3k oil change versus 4-5k. $ucks. I am facing this right now, the oil is dark and very badly diluted but the MMS is only at 70%

Last edited:
I've never taken anything i have in for an oil change anywhere but you always hear the stories.

when i worked at a service center for a few years there was a couple instances where vehicles were overfilled but the issue was resolved before the vehicle left the shop.

after completing the oil change, running it and then checking the level etc, another employee had to come over and verify the oil was at the proper level on the dipstick and then initial the work order.

to add to that, we would usually under fill the vehicle by about a half a quart or so just to make sure it wasn't overfull and would then top off as needed after it was run to fill the filter etc

Last edited:
If it was overfilled and there was foaming, you would know it. Bubbles could just as well be dipstick technique as anything.

Remove a quart if you think it is so bad, and be done. DIY of you want to be absolutely sure - then any mess up is on you.

How many trucks just like yours do you think the dealer does a week?? How many do you think have engine or oil-related failures due to it?

Originally Posted By: CKN
Obligatory weekly

THIS DEALER SUCKS THREAD........

The title of this thread gave you a clue as to the subject matter. If you don't like it, why did you click on it and reply?

I'm always surprised when a member of this board has anyone else change their oil. I get some live in apartments or physically are unable to, but that doesn't seem to be OP's situation. Also, a quart over isn't going to hurt a thing and for the general motoring public that has the dealer doing their oil changed they're probably doing them a favor - those folks are likely never going to pop the hood between OCIs and check the level.

A "free" oil change and you're still buying the oil?
crazy2.gif
Just do it yourself.

Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike

This was my last oil change at the stupid stupid dealer but atleast they changed it. I would add that you should check before and after an oil change to see change in color to determine how much didn't come out or if they even changed it, although this is hard sometimes. The bitter pill to swallow becomes the oil gets dark even faster and you will need a 2-3k oil change versus 4-5k. $ucks. I am facing this right now, the oil is dark and very badly diluted but the MMS is only at 70%

You do realize that this is bitog and that color isn't an indicator of how much life is left in the oil right? That's why people do uoa's to see for sure. An oil that turns dark quickly could just mean it's doing a better job of cleaning the engine than one that doesn't. But that doesn't mean it's worn out and needs to be changed.

Is this the 5.7 L engine?
Does it have an upside down cartridge filter?

I wonder if they didn't change the filter leaving close to a quart of oil not drained.

Originally Posted By: shanneba
Is this the 5.7 L engine?
Does it have an upside down cartridge filter?

I wonder if they didn't change the filter leaving close to a quart of oil not drained.

I was wondering the same thing. Wonder if it was a "free oil AND FILTER" change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back