Dealership service "advisor"

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 Toyota RAV4. Just went in for my winter oil change. I like to change the oil myself, but it's too [censored] cold out, so I begrudgingly let the dealer do it as they had a special on synthetic 0W20. I noticed the service advisor typing away and saw that she had down for regular 5W20. So, I politely asked for the 0W20. She responded by telling me that I would now have to use 0W20 from now on because you can't switch back and forth between synthetic and mineral oil. I was pretty floored by the stupidity. My response was a rather sarcastic "Uh, yeah, you can." This got her back up a little bit and she then responded by saying that "well, you shouldn't". Really? Why? Is there a Toyota TSB to back up your [censored] statement? Every oil manufacturer states that synthetic and mineral oils can be used without issue and mixed if necessary. [censored], what about semi-synthetic oils?

I told her to put the 0W20 in and walked away in disgust. I'm already planning the wording of the email that I'm going to send to the dealership service manager and possibly Toyota Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does her opinion really matter if she isn't the one who's doing the work?

I could really care less what the service writer says. They're usually just a salesperson who's job is to write-up the work order. I wouldn't let that get in your way of the person doing the work.

So what? Not everyone cruises BITOG and are experts on oil. This is a long spread myth and you should expect people to continue to believe it.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
So what? Not everyone cruises BITOG and are experts on oil.
I don't expect everyone to be an expert on oil. I DO expect a service writer at a dealership to be a professional and have at least an elementary knowledge of all facets of the business. They shouldn't be perpetuating old wive's tales and myths that weren't true in the first place.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
So what? Not everyone cruises BITOG and are experts on oil. This is a long spread myth and you should expect people to continue to believe it.

So what?!? Really? This is a service advisor, not a joe-blow off the street with an opinion. Some poor Joe will probably believe the garbage information she's spewing. It's this kind of [censored] that gives dealerships a bad name.

I'd also be back in the shop watching the tech to make sure the oil you requested did in fact get installed.

Really? You expect a service writer to understand the basics of mechanics, body and alignment, accounting, legal, sales, importing/exporting, etc.? Do you expect the shuttle driver to know where you live or just know all of the streets within a 10 mile radius of the dealership? You're ridiculous. I bet you don't know ALL the aspects of your own job.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I DO expect a service writer at a dealership to be a professional and have at least an elementary knowledge of all facets of the business.

This would be my concern.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd also be back in the shop watching the tech to make sure the oil you requested did in fact get installed.

What would have been wrong with saying something like, "I plan on using 0W-20 for the life of the vehicle so there's no problem. Thank you for bringing that to my attention."?

All of this could have been avoided if you didn't act like a sissy and just changed your own oil. Couldn't gut it out for 30 minutes?

Best part is now you got bulk 5W-20 for the price of an 0W.

The customer is always right. She should have just agreed with you.Unless it would be a warranty killer.
I used to use Wall mart to have my oil changed.I asked for Mobile One synthetic.They write it down and change my oil. I get the reciept. It states that they put in Castrol synthetic.So i made them put in what i paid for. Expensive shift for wall mart.
Thats right, I don't like Castrol.
My dad was a service manager for years.Two magic sentences. After talking to the service manager,to him say you will call the district rep. And after that you will call the better business bureau. If this doesn't move him mention the state attorney generals office. My dad never let it go that far. There were situations where the customer abused vehicles and it just couldn't be covered. Like people who use their 4wd as a submarine.And blow the motor.

I think it's "natural" for us BITOGers to get all upset when a service adviser/sales person/manager, etc. lacks what we consider to be the basics. Truth of the matter is, as much as we hate to hear it, a lot of these people really do lack the skills and knowledge, but through no fault of their own. The employers are not willing to pay top dollar for front service desk staff, and as such - if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Instead of focusing on quality of service, these businesses focus on targets and favor quantity over quality. Just throw a line of bull at the customer and use whatever sales tactics necessary to get them to pay for an oil flush or fuel injector service - it doesn't matter - just make sure they pay more than the $19.99 special for the oil change.

Average Joe/Jane is usually dumb and very ill informed when it comes to his/her car. He/she doesn't know where the washer fluid goes under the hood, let alone check his/her oil. So in management's eyes, who cares if Little Ms. Pretty at the service desk doesn't know the difference between synthetic and conventional?

Personally, I just smile and steer the conversation depending on the response I get. If the sales person's friendly and open to discussion, I go a little in depth about what I know. If they're arrogant, I'll just smile, politely ask them for what I want to pay for and keep it short.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Really? You expect a service writer to understand the basics of mechanics, body and alignment, accounting, legal, sales, importing/exporting, etc.? Do you expect the shuttle driver to know where you live or just know all of the streets within a 10 mile radius of the dealership? You're ridiculous. I bet you don't know ALL the aspects of your own job.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I DO expect a service writer at a dealership to be a professional and have at least an elementary knowledge of all facets of the business.

You've got to be kidding me... you think a dealership service writer shouldn't have to know basic automobile maintenance services, protocols and concepts related to the brand and or line of vehicles they happen to sell?

Is it completely fine if you go to a restaurant and the waiter or waitress is completely clueless about the menu? I think not.

I expect the service writer to know the fundamentals of being a service writer. Re-read what was said and how I replied. Reading. It's fundamental.

Originally Posted By: redhat
You've got to be kidding me... you think a dealership service writer shouldn't have to know basic automobile maintenance services, protocols and concepts related to the brand and or line of vehicles they happen to sell?

Is it completely fine if you go to a restaurant and the waiter or waitress is completely clueless about the menu? I think not.

Changing back and forth between various oil types and viscosities is usually safe. However, I think it's better to stick with the same oil if you think you found a good one. I feel like sometimes changing between different oils can temporarily increase wear by upsetting the AW/EP/FM films or a viscosity change can cause a "re-break-in" since oil-film thickness will be different.

This said, if you want things done right, the only way you can ensure is by doing it yourself. If you choose to go to a dealer, you should always get verbal and written confirmation that they will use the chemicals or parts you want and then you can just hope that the technician still won't put 5W-20 despite the service manager promising 0W-20. That's how things are at most dealers. I heard stories of simple oil changes at Toyota dealers causing engine damage.

And imagine it's not your car but yourself and you're in a hospital. You can only pray that they don't mess up.

With the chip on his shoulder, we won't have to wait long for an answer.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
And imagine it's not your car but yourself and you're in a hospital. You can only pray that they don't mess up.

The ONLY times (2) in the last 40+ years that I have had someone else change my oil, I was sorely disappointed. The first was when I bought a Honda that came with "Free oil changes for as long as I owned the car. The only time I brought it in, they put 5 quarts in a 4 quart sump.

The second time was when I was 1200 miles from home, and not getting there anytime soon. Went to a local shop, and watched as the tech blew the dust out of the funnel. I had to grit my teeth and shiver.

Originally Posted By: Audioquest
2011 Toyota RAV4. Just went in for my winter oil change. I like to change the oil myself, but it's too [censored] cold out, so I begrudgingly let the dealer do it as they had a special on synthetic 0W20. I noticed the service advisor typing away and saw that she had down for regular 5W20. So, I politely asked for the 0W20. She responded by telling me that I would now have to use 0W20 from now on because you can't switch back and forth between synthetic and mineral oil. I was pretty floored by the stupidity. My response was a rather sarcastic "Uh, yeah, you can." This got her back up a little bit and she then responded by saying that "well, you shouldn't". Really? Why? Is there a Toyota TSB to back up your bull[censored] statement? Every oil manufacturer states that synthetic and mineral oils can be used without issue and mixed if necessary. [censored], what about semi-synthetic oils?

I told her to put the 0W20 in and walked away in disgust. I'm already planning the wording of the email that I'm going to send to the dealership service manager and possibly Toyota Canada.

I am sorry but I can't finish reading this thread because my blood pressure just went up 20% by reading the initial post.

I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS....
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
06.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back