Dealership screwed up oil change

I have a 2019 Kia Sorento SX (3.3L V6). The last time I took it to the dealer (Dec '22) I gave them 2x5qt bottles of M1 Advanced Full Synthetic 5w-30 and asked them to use it when changing the oil. When I returned back to my place (about 40 minutes away) I noticed that they only used one bottle, and the second was left unnused. Upon consulting the manual, the car takes 6.87qt. I had to go to a nearby home depot to purchase a funnel and I manually topped off the car with the remaining amount from the second bottle (about 1.8 qts).

There was no low engine oil light during this time. Should I be concerned about any potential damage? I emailed the dealer's service department to keep this incident on record, naturally he tried to gaslight me when I spoke on the phone (he was asking if the low engine light came on, and that "5qt should be ok" or something of that nature).

I am planning to conduct a UOA upon my next oil change, which is scheduled this coming week at a different dealership.

Thoughts welcome.

Edit: I did add another approx 0.5 qts when I noticed that the dipstick level was no longer at F (this was about 4K miles into the OCI - about 1 month ago, now I'm at 5.5K miles).

Last edited:
I have a 2019 Kia Sorento SX (3.3L V6). The last time I took it to the dealer (Dec '22) I gave them 2x5qt bottles of M1 Advanced Full Synthetic 5w-30 and asked them to use it when changing the oil. When I returned back to my place (about 40 minutes away) I noticed that they only used one bottle, and the second was left unnused. Upon consulting the manual, the car takes 6.87qt. I had to go to a nearby home depot to purchase a funnel and I manually topped off the car with the remaining amount from the second bottle (about 1.8 qts).

There was no low engine oil light during this time. Should I be concerned about any potential damage? I emailed the dealer's service department to keep this incident on record, naturally he tried to gaslight me when I spoke on the phone (he was asking if the low engine light came on, and that "5qt should be ok" or something of that nature).

I am planning to conduct a UOA upon my next oil change, which is scheduled this coming week at a different dealership.

Thoughts welcome.
You will be fine, especially if you have learned not to trust dealerships and quick change shops with oil changes.

Thoughts welcome.

Edit: I did add another approx 0.5 qts when I noticed that the dipstick level was no longer at F (this was about 4K miles into the OCI - about 1 month ago, now I'm at 5.5K miles).
You just discovered you need a New Dealership!

Thoughts welcome.

If you do not want to change your own oil, then I would suggest you find an independent shop where you can bring your own oil and watch them change the oil. With dealerships you cannot be in the area where they are doing the stuff because of insurance issues. I do my own oil changes, but there is a garage near me, COOTER, from that show back in the day, the guy does not care if people come into the shop and watch what he is doing. I have gone up there in the middle of the winter when I did not want to do an oil change out in the cold weather.

Don't the engine oil galleries and passages plus a small filter only hold maybe a quart or so of oil total? Say 2 quart's max to be on the safe side? That's why you hear of people having to add 3,4, or 5 quarts of oil to an engine that wasn't making any noise or had any lights on. The additional amount over the 2 quarts is mostly for cooling, and to allow extended oil changes. Plus a cushion of running dangerously low from those that don't check their oil between changes.

Always DIY if you can. And for things you can't triple check everything and assume the worst. Don't ask me how I know after a history of "professional" services performed with the many vehicles I and my family have owned.

Sad to say this applies to everything, not only vehicle service these days. Remember we live in a disposable society. Apologies for the cynicism.

It’s a given that a dealer will use owner-supplied oil only if it’s in an unopened container. Asking a dealer to open a 5 quart jug and dispense 1.87 quarts is, imho, asking a lot as it involves math and measuring stuff. Far better to bring in a 5 quart jug and two 1 quart bottles.

Save the empty quarts and refill them. When you get your next dealer service, you provide only 7 quarts.

What's the PSI trigger for the fool's light on the dash? The idiot light doesn't trigger until So, its useless and a too late indicator.

If bought new, it has a 10/100 warranty, I wouldn't worry about it. If bought used, or over the 100k miles, then I'd consider trading it in. I wouldn't want to own a Hyundai without a warranty.

Its normal for that brand to consume oil, especially as the engine cruds up from the normal service interval. My recommendation is to shorten your oil change interval. And, make an effort to check the oil often, either weekly, or at every fuel fill up.

The only problem with that is that you can buy a five quart jug of Mobil 1 5W-30 for about $30 but buying it in the quart bottles is going to cost $11 - $12 per quart. Almost double the cost per quart.

If the dealer will use oil from a non factory sealed container and you have a couple of empty 1 qt. bottles to reuse, you could certainly dispense the proper amount in advance and bring those.

Or, find a better shop.

Now the OP needs to buy a 5 quart jug, and has 2.5 quarts from his 2nd jug. Whats the problem?

Cost is such a problem. Just ask the tech to return the empty jugs and refill it. Its just so hard to think.

Thoughts welcome.

Back when I acquired my 2017 Chevy SS, I took advantage of the first two freebee’ oil changes. I still had a few more to go, but after multiple screw ups from the Chevrolet dealership in Yuma, Arizona, I decided it wasn’t worth any more headaches with multiple returns to fix what they screw up. From that point forward I started using a local lube pit where they allow me to be near the car and watch all of the work being performed. I bring my own oil, filter, and plug gasket. In and out in 20-minutes or less.; try that at a dealership! 🤨

Last edited:
They probably gave you the other jug back so you could do the topoff yourself. I actually prefer to do this.
I am Surprised you didn't notice the other gallon +1 jug wasn't opened.

No engine harm. Don't waste any money on a UOA.

Lesson learned, be vigilant. I usually have to "correct" dealer oil changes - in my wife's case it's a quart OVERFILL which is a much worse situation. Decades ago my crazy GF had a dealer do an OC on her Jeep. The did not install the oil. But they left the old filter on so, there was some oil in there - maybe a qt and a bit. She drove the car all the way home and told me it was making noise. Man O' MAN ! It somehow survived that.

They ain't having geniuses in the grease pit. This is exact;y why some small indie shops are better - you will have the master tech changing your oil. I've done thousands over a Half-Century myself. Nice to shut the brain down for a bit.

- Ken

Back