dealership oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
how many of you would trust your new car to have the oil changed at the dealer.ive always changed my own oil but im thinkin maybe its a good idea to use the place where i bought it to change the oil until the warranty is up. by the way i know that since its a chevy they will probaly use a delco filter but who makes gm goodwrench oil.im almost tempted to take 5 qts of havoline everytime i get it changed even though they will probaly charge me the same as if they used there oil.

Dealer/or no dealer....the best place (if not at home) is a mechanic you trust. If you don't have one, find one. Ask around.

if i do it myself and keep records of when and what oil and filter was used do they have to honor my warranty if something should go wrong engine related

I drive a 2006 Chevy Silverado for work and I have to take it to the local Chevy dealership for oil changes. I always stand right there and watch them while they do the work. Usually, I chat with the "technician" and ask them oil-related questions. (They probably hate me!)

Anyhow, they *do* use AC Delco filters, but the oil is "10W30" and "Mobil, or whatever company won the low bid last time."

And this is a Chevrolet dealership with an AWESOME reputation in the community. A real, old-school family owned dealership.

Personally, I'd never trust anyone else to do my oil changes for me, not even the dealership. Nobody cares as much about your vehicle as you do, trust me!

When I am feeling lazy, there is one and only one dealer that is allowed to touch my truck. It is a small town dealer that has been doing oil changes on my truck longer than I have had it (it has been sold twice through this dealer). The techs there know their stuff and the quality of the work on everything from oil changes to major repairs is top notch.

I think you are always better off to do the oil changes yourself. When you have a new car or truck that is under warranty you need to document that you did the oil changes and oil filter changes. Even use a camera if you have to, and keep all paper documentation.

Dealerships will without fail in my experience try to sell you additional services that you do not need. They will tell you not to add anything to your oil but they will be the first to try to get you to use some oil supplement with the oil change. Or they will try to convince you to pay for an expensive internal engine cleaning service where instead you could keep your engine clean with Auto-RX or even with Fuel Power added 500 miles before the oil change.

Even worse then the dealerships are these oil change places. I have had some experiences at these places. I remember at an Iffy Lube when one of the people at the place stole some of the small change I had in my car. I remember at a Greasy Ape where they tried to switch the Mobil 1 I had brought in with some Mystik 10W-40 oil (it was not even the correct viscosity).

You do not even know what viscosity of oil they are using. Your car might require 5W-20 and they might put 10W-30 in it.

A dealership probably is nolt as bad as the oil change places. But you don't have to have your oil changed at the dealership to maintain your warranty. Just be sure you have documentation that you changed the oil and the oil filters and that you used the correct products. Let them keep their useless oil supplemtns that they try to sell you and the useless internal engine cleaners.

i would never use a quick change place. I would use a dealer, except that they charge the same if i bring in my own oil... and changing is fun.

Most anything else that i cant do gets done at the dealer. no issues at all.

JMH

If you *must* take it somewhere, I'd take it to Walmart and specify the oil and filter you want used. (Bring your own filter if they don't carry the one you want.)

Then, watch them like a wary Pit Bull to make sure they do it right.

Not all dealerships try to sell oil supplements. We don't. Now mind you for a couple of specific examples there are some things available such as for diesels if someone uses the wrong RTV on an oil pan you can deplete the antifoaming agents in the oil and we have an additive to restore that without having to change the oil you just changed 500 miles ago.

There is an engine cleaning machine for those who seem to run their dino oil for 10,000 mile + oil changes and it does a great job from what we have seen. And no we don't sell it all that often but is a tool in the arsenal so to speak.

But let me tell you that most guys will still overtorque the drain plugs anywhere and everywhere you go I hate that, Even where I work. But at least they use a good quality correctly sized wrench and we don't have a problem rounding off the drain plug wrenching surfaces from slipping wrenches.

I've posted this before: I used to (years ago) take the Windstar to the dealer for oil changes. Once they underfilled the crankcase by at least two quarts, and when I went back and explained the problem to them, they overfilled it by at least a quart. Another time when my Taurus was having a recall performed (front spring shields) the tech said the oil was very dirty (looked OK to me) and was low by a quart (maybe 1/4 down from full on the dipstick when I checked it).

When you take your car anywhere, don't expect the stranger who works on your car to do the job 100%. The person doing the oil changes at a dealership is NOT an ASE certified mechanic, just some guy they hired off the street.....same goes for any quick lube place.

And if I bought a brand new car, I could care less if the dealership offered 'free' oil changes.

I just hate it when the service writer at the dealership tries to sell you additional services.

It seems like I always forget to remove the "I'm stupid" sign from my forehead whenever I make a trip to the dealership
dunno.gif

If you don't let the dealership change your oil, how is the lot boy going to get enough experience to become a real mechanic. Besides, how else can the service manager figure out if a lot boy is worth keeping.

I like changing my own oil. However if i had to let someone else change it the dealer would be my first choice because of the following:

1. Mazda OEM filter
2. Motorcraft Oil
3. Better chance the guy doing it has done a couple of thousand cars just like mine and he is less likely to screw something up.
4. It's cheaper than jiffy lube places. My Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda dealer charges 24.99 for oil/filter change.
5. They dont mind if you wander out and watch and talk to them while they do it. I've found if they know your watching it is the best bet in getting the job done right.

I got a 06 Vibe, the car salesman gave me a free oil change coupon at 3000 miles. I'm not going to use it.

I guess I'm easily influenced by bad things I see and horror stories I hear. My sister's best friend took her new Isuzu Impulse (yes, this was long ago) to a Jiffy Lube, and they installed the incorrect oil filter. She left Jiffy Lube, got on the interstate and the filter flew off. Needless to say, by the time the idiot light lit and she got stopped, there was considerable damage.

All I can say is NO THANKS.

quote:

Originally posted by therealdeal770:
if i do it myself and keep records of when and what oil and filter was used do they have to honor my warranty if something should go wrong engine related

In addition to logging the interval date and materials used, keep your receipts, too. According to Magnuson-Moss, that'll be sufficient to maintain your automaker warranty rights. But, if you purchased a non-automaker extended service contract through the dealer when you bought your car, though, all bets are off. All too often those gyps have gotchas that require dealer service to remain in effect.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:

quote:

Originally posted by therealdeal770:

In addition to logging the interval date and materials used, keep your receipts, too. According to Magnuson-Moss, that'll be sufficient to maintain your automaker warranty rights. But, if you purchased a non-automaker extended service contract through the dealer when you bought your car, though, all bets are off. All too often those gyps have gotchas that require dealer service to remain in effect.

it the gm factory warranty.if that will do then thats how ill handle it.kinda changing the subject but if i use a good dino like havoline or pennzoil and wix filters is it pretty safe to go by the oil change monitor.miles are roughly 70%hwy and 30%city. i would use the bulk supply of royal purple i have but id have no way to prove where the oil came from

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back