Dealership Moments- When You Know You Won't be Back!

Every time that I walk into a dealership to buy it is always a game and I hate it. The one that irked me the most is the finance dealer who sold my son a car and than financed it at 2% more than was agreed upon. I read the contract that evening and spotted it. The next day we went to the dealer and knowing they got caught re-wrote the loan for the correct amount.
My very first car buying experience was great. I bought a brand new 73 Volkswagen Super Beetle.
They had not hit the docks yet and were about a month out. I put about 50% down and told the salesman that I was selling my current car the next day. I would have no vehicle and was there some old loaner they could give me. They gave me a one year old car which I drove for nearly five weeks. They were a great bunch. I sent many referrals to that dealership and salesman.
I remember back in the day dealerships were very loyal to their customers and would go through leaps and bounds to keep them very well taken care of. My parents, grandparents,aunts,and uncles all did business with a certain one. They'd literally come home with a different new car the dealer would hand pick for them and let them keep it, to try it out basically as long as they wanted. If they bought it, great! If not, not a problem at all. Fast forward to the 1980s,my parents went there to buy a new car. They were total douches to them (old man had gotten out of the car business and let his sons take it over). They totally ran it into the ground and lost most, if not all their old school loyal customers (including my family). They got very crooked and shady, and bait-switchy. Everyone started shopping and buying out of town.

Haha 😆 that’s a good one. Did you really pick your own salesman? I’ve never seen anybody be able to do that lol.
Yes I did. A few months ago I did it again when I bought my Ford truck.
Boy do I suck. The guy was a real zipper head. Again an older guy but he didn't care anything about the whole process. A weird duck.

So I called back a week later and got the youngest salesperson and come to find out I knew his father and I asked when the first salespersons day off was and I'll come in then and give him the sale.
And that is what I did....lol
The first guy shouldn't even be in that business.

Yes I did. A few months ago I did it again when I bought my Ford truck.
Boy do I suck. The guy was a real zipper head. Again an older guy but he didn't care anything about the whole process. A weird duck.

So I called back a week later and got the youngest salesperson and come to find out I knew his father and I asked when the first salespersons day off was and I'll come in then and give him the sale.
And that is what I did....lol
The first guy shouldn't even be in that business.
Lol I know a few people like that. I mean a pat on the back or something small like that wouldn’t bother me but all that stuff yeah that’s weird.

Lol I know a few people like that. I mean a pat on the back or something small like that wouldn’t bother me but all that stuff yeah that’s weird.

I did have a good Dodge dealer years ago who I bought five cars from who always let me use his employee discount...
He was honorable and a good guy that cared. Very rare.

I did have a good Dodge dealer years ago who I bought five cars from who always let me use his employee discount...
He was honorable and a good guy that cared. Very rare.
That’s awesome. I knew some of the salesman at my dealership where I used to work none of them were that nice all of them but one or two had the attitude of buy a car or don’t waste my time. The two that didn’t act that way were always requested by the customers who had been there before.

Remember relating this on some board. My apologies if it's a repeat here.

Traded a Renault R16 for a Toyota Corona (remember them?) at a one person used car lot in the mid seventies. The owner said "You're in luck, my father just died a few minutes ago, I'm in mourning and I'll give you a good deal. Come in before ten on Thursday so I can get to the funeral." The deal (and it turns out the car) really wasn't that bad for an eight year old beater so I bit. When I showed up I asked him "Hey, don't you have to catch your father's funeral?" "Nah, somebody called, guess I'll have to skip it."
Purchased a 67 Corona 4 door new. Bench seat was about as comfortable as two cinder blocks and a two by twelve but it was well made compared to Big Three POS.

This is why Carvana is so popular. Last time I had a car priced at a dealer they had $199 fee for nitrogen tires and a $500 document fee tacked on. I walked out.
Wife and I are looking at Palisades so autotrader/cargurus and I'll do nationwide. Found some dealers in FL with awfully good prices....go to website, "$999 docu fee, $599 dealer fee, $299 accessories......"

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That’s awesome. I knew some of the salesman at my dealership where I used to work none of them were that nice all of them but one or two had the attitude of buy a car or don’t waste my time. The two that didn’t act that way were always requested by the customers who had been there before.
The young guy who sold me my '03 Buick Park Avenue is still at the same dealership, now primarily selling new cars primarily. I've been in touch with him whenever I've been looking for a newer car, but they never seemed to have what I wanted.

The young guy who sold me my '03 Buick Park Avenue is still at the same dealership, now primarily selling new cars primarily. I've been in touch with him whenever I've been looking for a newer car, but they never seemed to have what I wanted.
Yeah sometimes they don’t have what you are looking for.

Wife and I are looking at Palisades so autotrader/cargurus and I'll do nationwide. Found some dealers in FL with awfully good prices....go to website, "$999 docu fee, $599 dealer fee, $299 accessories......"

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh I know. I shopped while I was in Florida and got the same treatment. Bogus pricing with $2-3k of fees added and the dealership thought it was normal to lure internet shoppers in that way. I told him that yeah you lure them in and they never return. He was cornfused when I said it. What a joke.

My wife buys her own cars on her own.

Two dealerships asked her twice when her husband was helping with the decision so she skipped Subaru and Honda Compact CUV and ended up with a 2018 VW Tiguan. The VW dealership treated her with respect.
Next time tell her to use my spiel.
Don't bring my husband into this......lol

Probably my worst experience was at a Honda dealer in suburban Richmond, VA in 2000. I was looking to trade in my son's 1987 Camry on a 2000 Civic sedan. When the used car appraiser returned to the dealership after test driving the Camry, he had burnt out the clutch.

I may never use a new car dealership again now that Carmax, Carvana, Vroom etc. are good alternatives.

Last edited:
Back in our younger days when money was super tight and we were living pay check to paycheck, I traded in a bare bones 1987 Toyota pickup that I had grown to hate. I had about 18 payments left. I traded it in for a new Chevy at a Chevy dealership. About two months later I got a call from the bank about the Toyota loan - why haven't you paid us?

I told them I traded it in. She told me that's my problem and that I stilled owed them the money. Then I found out the Chevy dealership was going into bankruptcy. They eventually paid, but it was a valuable lessen. I'm not sure I'd ever trust a dealership of any kind to pay off a loan on your trade in.

Scott

Ford Dealer in Burbank/ Hollywood wouldn't remove a 3rd party 800.00 alarm system from an F150.

No problem I understand.

I'll just go across town and buy the same truck without it.

When I was last looking in 2018 I visited several dealers for test drives. The Subaru dealer was the best, laid back vibe, yet respectful and easy to deal with. The Mazda dealer was very good too, attentive and not aggressive in the slightest.
The Chev dealer was o.k., but the salesman talked non-stop, he couldn't stand a moments silence it seemed. Their sales manager was great though, easy to work with.
The Honda dealer was lousy, kept me waiting a long time while the salesman went to discuss my offer (old tactic I know). I was out the door already when he came running after me, so I followed him back in only to find out that their counter offer was almost nothing off the MSRP. The waste of my time ticked me off.
The KIA dealer seemed to be run by kids, trying to use all the lousy tired old tricks of the trade in the book. I left right after the test drive, and decided I was going to another KIA dealer if I wanted to deal.
Ended up buying the Impala, my wife and I liked it better than all the other cars/SUV's we looked at (except a tie with the CX-5, which was pricier though because they were selling so well). I dealt with the Chev sales manager, who was courteous and professional, and I left with a decent deal.

I think i have mentioned it before, but i was at a Ford Dealer 12 years or so in Avon Lake and the salesman kept telling me and my mother that none of the new vehicles they had were built in the USA. I had listed several and all got one country except for the BITOG-mobile known as the Crown Vic. I had asked about the F-150, Escape, Fusion, and the F-250. Salesman said they all came from Mexico. I then decided to try to ask where the E-150 was built as well. I was told by the same answer as the others, Made in Mexico. I was then told if i wanted something built in the USA then i should look at a Kia. I think that moment occured when it was a bit of both a Ford salesman telling us to buy a Kia or the fact that he kept insisting that Of All Ford vehicles that the E-150 was fully assembled in Mexico considering the city the dealership was in.

I told spam and scam caller looking for me that "the person died last week" all the time and got a kick out of their reactions. Maybe I'll try "he got arrested last week for armed robbery, so he is in jail right now" next.

Back