Dealership Mess Up?

Hi all. I'm hoping the experts on here can weigh in or point me in the right direction.

I brought my 2016 F-150 (2.7L) into the dealership a couple years ago for a leaking oil pan (TSB 19-2205). Well it started leaking again and it was out of warranty so I had to fix it myself. Okay, no big deal. I just finished dropping the pan and needless to say I'm shocked at how much RTV sealant they used. These models don't have gaskets and instead use the RTV, but the TSB itself says that, "using too much sealant may result in oil contamination and engine damage."

Do I have any recourse to ask the dealership to replace the engine? (I'm guessing I don't?) I'm concerned that their excessive RTV use is going to create engine problems for me down the line. Not to mention that the engine block has uneven gouges in it which I think will continue to create leaking issues for me down the line too. Hoping you guys can take a look at the video I took (link below) and let me know what you think I can do. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

PS.
I have another video from my first oil change after their work on the oil pan where I found some creamy sludge in the oil. Not sure if that was related or not but here's a link to that as well if it helps.

IMG_20190720_174151.jpg

In this picture you can see where the last guy used too much RTV. When the machined aluminum parts were mated together the excess squeezed out (in) and left strings that broke off over time. I found 3 or 4 strings of RTV in the pickup screen of this car.

A friend of mine had the same issue with his Ford truck he bought it used was leaking it was fixed 3 timesunder the Use car warranty they had they chance to fix it three times Couldn't fix it he turned it back into them under the lemon law This is in the state of Connecticut They had to buy it back and he drove out driving with a similar truck with the five liter V8 no issues apparently the five-liter V8 has a metal oil pan instead of a composite .Good luck

TOMB

Hi all. I'm hoping the experts on here can weigh in or point me in the right direction.

I brought my 2016 F-150 (2.7L) into the dealership a couple years ago for a leaking oil pan (TSB 19-2205). Well it started leaking again and it was out of warranty so I had to fix it myself. Okay, no big deal. I just finished dropping the pan and needless to say I'm shocked at how much RTV sealant they used. These models don't have gaskets and instead use the RTV, but the TSB itself says that, "using too much sealant may result in oil contamination and engine damage."

Do I have any recourse to ask the dealership to replace the engine? (I'm guessing I don't?) I'm concerned that their excessive RTV use is going to create engine problems for me down the line. Not to mention that the engine block has uneven gouges in it which I think will continue to create leaking issues for me down the line too. Hoping you guys can take a look at the video I took (link below) and let me know what you think I can do. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

(skip to 1:29:30)

Maybe this guy worked on your car.

Last edited:
Do I have any recourse to ask the dealership to replace the engine? (I'm guessing I don't?)
Perhaps some recourse to reseal the pan, but that pretty much went out the window when you took it upon yourself to take it apart. To suggest that some bits of RTV broke off and damaged the engine is wildly speculative at best. You would get a low oil pressure reading on the gauge or light before any damage occurred.

Gotcha. Thanks for the input guys. My other question about the engine block casting issue. I didn't spend much time on it in the video but I think that's the culprit of my leak. They are big enough that I think they could create a repeat issue. Is there anything I can do to have them solve the problem?

My other question about the engine block casting issue. I didn't spend much time on it in the video but I think that's the culprit of my leak. They are big enough that I think they could create a repeat issue.
Are you talking about sealing surface where the pan meets the block? The RTV will fill in any voids.

Gotcha. Thanks for the input guys. My other question about the engine block casting issue. I didn't spend much time on it in the video but I think that's the culprit of my leak. They are big enough that I think they could create a repeat issue. Is there anything I can do to have them solve the problem?

Your description of gouges on the block edge make me think this is either sloppy casting or someone had been in there already with a screwdriver or something. The mating edge should be smooth.

Anyway, if you have not experienced any issues after 2 years (aside from the oil pan leaking again), you probably dodged a bullet. I would just check the oil pickup to make sure it is clear.

As for the gouges, I have heard of some creative methods used to resolve that issue. Some people used jbweld on those gouges and "scrape/sand" them flat before drying.

Are you talking about sealing surface where the pan meets the block? The RTV will fill in any voids.
RTV can fill some decent gaps, but it has limits.

As for the gouges, I have heard of some creative methods used to resolve that issue. Some people used jbweld on those gouges and "scrape/sand" them flat before drying.
I considered that when I saw a small mar behind where a tensioner mounts on my engine. I ended up using a small smear of RTV for fear of the jb weld flaking off eventually.

Heh, it's getting so bad it's not even worth it to have warranty work done by those animals.
Thing is, the TSB said to apply a 4.5mm bead. A 4.5mm bead?!! Really? These must be some genuinely sloppy tolerances on that composite oil pan. What makes The Critic's video even worse is the guy who slobbered on that 7mm or 8mm bead did it on a presumably perfectly flat aluminum surface. A 1mm bead should have been more than sufficient. But he probably distorted the piece by using a crowbar to pry it off.

Whenever I use RTV to seal something like this the RTV bead is smaller than the diameter of the lead in a #2 wooden pencil. And even then I'll see RTV squeeze out in areas.

Scott

Last edited:
OP shows that RTV is to be applied 4.5 mm thick. (wow, that's thick)
That's .177" (or .010" short of 3/16") .... (mm x .03937 = inch)
No wonder there is so much squeeze out.

When applying RTV (or any sealant) READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.
You may have to wait (how many hours ?) before refilling with oil.
I'm sure most Mechanics don't wait.

If that was my vehicle, I would-
1) Forget about going back to Dealer. You have it apart, so reseal it the way the Dealer should have
2) Remove ALL globs of RTV inside and out
3) Clean both surfaces 100% and degrease, making sure ALL old sealant is removed
4) Polish any high spots / figuring the RTV will fill any 'small' gouges
5) Very carefully apply RTV according to instructions and TSB
6) Reinstall Pan and wait required time before adding oil
7) Clean any oil drips off engine

Good luck.
Let us know how you do.

So the 2.7 pans are notorious for leaking. Ford has a RTV cleaning and prep procedure that even when followed perfectly, leaks. I can dig it up and share it here, but it involves the combination of a few different chemicals, along with NO razor blades, and NO spinny fingers of death.

Some techs will not use the TA-357 RTV anymore and use the old TA-31 that was used on the 7.3L diesel.

So the 2.7 pans are notorious for leaking. Ford has a RTV cleaning and prep procedure that even when followed perfectly, leaks. I can dig it up and share it here, but it involves the combination of a few different chemicals, along with NO razor blades, and NO spinny fingers of death.

Some techs will not use the TA-357 RTV anymore and use the old TA-31 that was used on the 7.3L diesel.
Useful insight as usual, bdcardinal. 👍

The problem I have is that oil pans have been on cars for 100 years now. It's it inexcusable that the 2.7 pans are "notorious for leaking". Yes, most things will eventually leak, but this is unacceptable.

Scott

Back