Dealership Gasoline - Octane ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the gas that they fill your car with from the factory bad? Also, is it safe to run 93 Octane in a car that calls for regular? I've read a few articles on how bad the quality is on certain grades of gasoline. For the gas mileage I'm getting, I'm thinking of running (89)Plus or (93)super. I have a Shell gas card and might start using their V-Power.

I think the factory only puts a couple of gallons in; the dealer fills the car at pre-delivery time. I've seen salesdroids at normal gas stations doing what I presume to be the delivery fill on new cars wearing dealer plates. Obviously the gas station is probably a mile or less from the dealer.

But then I've seen aboveground tanks on trailers some time ago. Wonder if liability of storing gas on site has driven dealers in my area to filling up at a normal station down the road.

offtopic.gif
Those nitwits usually leave the engines running while they pump (wonder if that brand new car needed a boost after sitting 6 months). Exhaust I noted once was grey and smelled different, kind of metallic/chemical, maybe burning the cosmolene off the tailpipe?

I used to PDI new motorcycles. We had a 30 or so gallon gas can with a pump that we filled at the closest gas station.

They would only allow us to put regular 87 octain in it even though most bikes called for Premium.

Cheap managers!
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Is the gas that they fill your car with from the factory bad? Also, is it safe to run 93 Octane in a car that calls for regular? I've read a few articles on how bad the quality is on certain grades of gasoline. For the gas mileage I'm getting, I'm thinking of running (89)Plus or (93)super. I have a Shell gas card and might start using their V-Power.

As eljefino said the factory puts in maybe a 1/4 tank of fuel. Since they are going through many gallons of fuel per day I can only assume the fuel you get is "fresh". Plus why put "cheapo" fuel in at the factory that will cause a warranty comeback? It doesn't make sense. As far as putting in fuel that has a higher octane rating than is required will only make the oil companies richer and in all probability cause more carbon build up in your engine. You're better off using FP regularly or Techron occasionally with the recommended octane gas. Nice car by the way, I'm insanely jealous
grin.gif

Whimsey

Buster: Try your Shell card at the bulk station. The card locks may read it so it is worth a try. You may need to get an FP Solutions card but you'll get a deal on the fuel. You have to fill out the form indicating you need over 500$ of fuel a month. Just tell them you won a couple Dodge Hemis in a lottery or something.
pat.gif

Steve

The last car I bought, the salesman rode with me to the gas station up the street and filled it for me. The one before that, the dealer had their own pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back