Dealers proclaiming they don’t do ADM

Then have a $1800 dealer installed accessory fee on every car. Who are they trying to fool? So they install all weather mats, trunk mat, mud flaps, door edge guards that cost them $300-$500 and then charge $1800 for it. I love how they name these overpriced add ons like “ PNW protection package”.

I simply tell them if they want the sale, they either remove them or don't charge me for them. There's other dealers and vehicles.
You could get away with that three years ago. For every car for sale now there are at least three people who will buy it. The market has changed dramatically since 2019.

Last edited:
We're in some sort of Twilight Zone where there are so many irresponsible people it's ruining it for the decent folks. Sane people are being pushed out of the market.
There is a lot of cash floating around right now-those people who have cash are not irresponsible. IT's limited product availability due to war, pandemic, spot shortages, etc. It's a little more complicated that your thoughts.

There is a lot of cash floating around right now-those people who have cash are not irresponsible. IT's limited product availability due to war, pandemic, spot shortages, etc. It's a little more complicated that your thoughts.
No, it's not. It's unchecked demand driving unnecessary inflation and greedy opportunism. You're just assuming and making sweeping generalizations. Honestly and seriously, I do not value such rhetoric.

When my son bought his 2013 F150 brand new it had a spray on bed liner that added $500 to the truck.
He did not care he said the truck was $50K whats another $500?
He really wanted that truck.
He still has it with 50K miles on it.

You could get away with that three years ago. For every car for sale now there are at least three people who will buy it. The market has changed dramatically since 2019.
You can still get away with it now too, albeit less supply. It's still dealer-added markup items that are optional.

When my son bought his 2013 F150 brand new it had a spray on bed liner that added $500 to the truck.
He really wanted that truck.
He still has it with 50K miles on it.
It's one thing if it's a feature that adds value/convenience/etc which is in line with the cost. $500 for a spray in bedliner isn't gouging, even if there is some margin in it for the dealer. Charging hundreds of dollars for things like VIN etching, which add no value for the customer, are another thing altogether.

$500 is $500.

I bought a house listed at $225,000 by offering $224,500. They counter offered $225,000. But I stuck to my guns and got it for $224,500. $500 is $500.

There's an old saying that's worth remembering, "A million dollars is made $10 at a time."

The local GMC dealer doesn't have a single new truck on the lot, still and the few they get are sold in transit. They aren't playing games, straight up ADP added to MSRP. They held off for a long time but at some point someone says the other guys are getting it why aren't we?

I bought a house listed at $225,000 by offering $224,500. They counter offered $225,000. But I stuck to my guns and got it for $224,500. $500 is $500.
When? You wouldn't even get a reply to that offer here, today. Different times.

It's all supply and demand no matter how it's being presented. At least with the PNW package in the OP you're getting something to lessen the bite, it could be a straight $1800 add on.

Because they know full well that at best they can sucker you out but at worst they still face zero actual punishment or loss and will just move onto the next shagging pillow.

Expensive fuel, rising interest rates, and a job market that while not dropping is certainly leveling off quickly will combine to make buying a new car a decision that requires some really serious thought. Add to that the fact that inventories of everything are building and electronic sales in China are dropping so semiconductor shortages should ease. In 6 months to a year I expect the dealers to not feel nearly so independent. I'm gonna wait them and their floor mats out.

Expensive fuel, rising interest rates, and a job market that while not dropping is certainly leveling off quickly will combine to make buying a new car a decision that requires some really serious thought. Add to that the fact that inventories of everything are building and electronic sales in China are dropping so semiconductor shortages should ease. In 6 months to a year I expect the dealers to not feel nearly so independent. I'm gonna wait them and their floor mats out.
You don't want to be a shagging pillow with all the cool folks that got 'naree a care in the world? :oops:

$500 is $500.

There's an old saying that's worth remembering, "A million dollars is made $10 at a time."
$500 is nothing when it's a truck that you really want.
He searched the net on dealers in Colorado and there is a bunch and found the exact truck he wanted.
The MSRP was 52K + $500 for the liner.
I think with the incentives at the time he paid $45K with tax and they filled the gas tank.
I tried to talk him into a low mileage used truck but he said I can finally afford my first new vehicle.
I said get in the car we are going to buy a new truck today.

Back