Dealers can't even get in RIGHT Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took my 2005 T&C Chrysler in today for oil change and rotation second change on oil. Got it back Paper Work says 10-30!!!Whoa!!! I got the Service manager and he says what's the problem what does your manual say? So I popped the hood where it says 5-20W on the fill cap and showed hime the spec in the Owners manual. THey re-did the oil Filter change w/ proper oil as I watched from the Parking Lot.

amazing

Gotta watch em. (Of course I would have kept the 10w30 in it.
grin.gif
)

Toyota dealer did the same thing to me on my free first oil change several years ago. I let it go because I knew I wouldn't be going there again anyway.

A few months ago, I was out of country unexpectedly, my mother went to another toyota dealer with her car to get a change instead of me doing it. Same thing. Again, I let it go and changed back to 5W-30 shortly after I returned.

Sadly, these days, customer service and quality is so bad everywhere you just don't feel like fighting them all. As they say, if you want it done right, do it yourself.

I would of kept the 10W-30 in my engine too! Those 5-20s are CAFE-driven to help the gas-guzzlers in Chrysler's lineup meet government mileage specifications. I prefer 5-10W-30 over 5W-20 for engine protection.

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
I would of kept the 10W-30 in my engine too! Those 5-20s are CAFE-driven to help the gas-guzzlers in Chrysler's lineup meet government mileage specifications. I prefer 5-10W-30 over 5W-20 for engine protection.

My thoughts exactly. IMHO, the dealership was actually doing you a favor.

Did you get a chance to drive it before they changed it again? Would of gotten a free oil flush. Better known as a Patman-Flush Plus®.
grin.gif

I've seen some dealerships just hit the VIN label with the barcode scanner and it tells them all the information on the computer. It's not like they don't know. Sounds like a good place to avoid if possible. They are just cheaping out.

Ive got a Suzuki AerioSX with a 100k warranty, I goto the dealer to get my oil changed for 10 bucks and this is a perfect time for them to address my warranty concerns and I like the Suzuki OEM oil filter so thats why I dont change my own oil...but the first time I went there(1500 miles), they changed my oil, the car slowed down and I got no where near the claimed MPG...I just figured the car was breaking in...I go back for another oil change, and for some dumb reason after they finished I asked "what kinda oil are you using?" Realize this is primarily a Jeep dealer, and thier service department and employee parking reflect this...the guy says to me, "the samething we put in all of our vehicles...15w40, why? Is there a problem with that?" I say,"yeah theres a problem, the friggin oil cap tells you what to put in...whats the problem with that?!?!"

From that point I switched to Mobil 1 syn 5w30 and bring my own oil...I also asked if they had a technician that drove a Suzuki, they said yes...and I said "thats the only person I want working on my car!"...and now I never leave my car while having a service provided. There have been several occassions since, that if I had left, my warranty concern wouldnt have been fixed, with the claim "it didnt do it", "we didnt hear it" or "its fine"...I find now that the mechanic asks questions, and because Im there to answer the problems get fixed, instead of just being parked with nothing done/fixed.

I checked the 5 bottles he carried from thr parts department.. It wasn't so much the oil they put in, but warranty requirements and the like down the road I know how picky they can be with sludge issues ect..this is my second 3.3 Chrysler it is a bulletproof design sso I wasn't that concerned. But it was satisfying to make them do it right.

quote:

Originally posted by ddown:
But it was satisfying to make them do it right.

You should of asked them to find an empty oil jug to drain the 10w30 into so you could use it in your lawnmower at home.
grin.gif
Then stand back and watch their reaction.
gr_eek2.gif

Since my last engine in my other van went Poof in 2001 at 12,000 miles from them I know the importance of the oil meeting Specs. The last time I had to show all oil changes even though I'm sure it was a manufacturing defect new Short block and then went through months of oil leaks finally got that one right. When your dealing with warranty issues they will try to weasel out unless you have good records.

quote:

Originally posted by ddown:
Since my last engine in my other van went Poof in 2001 at 12,000 miles from them I know the importance of the oil meeting Specs. The last time I had to show all oil changes even though I'm sure it was a manufacturing defect new Short block and then went through months of oil leaks finally got that one right. When your dealing with warranty issues they will try to weasel out unless you have good records.

Yep. That has been my experience too. Some here say it's no big deal, but I'm guessing they have been lucky enough to avoid the angst generated by such a situation.

Well, its not as if 10w-30 increased the risk of anything happening. If the car called for 15w-40, and 0w-20 was put in, sure, I'd make them change it back... But in this case, you probably got more protection.

Is the '05 T&C really spec'd for 5w20 only? Under all conditions? No other viscosity is allowed? I know it's all about CAFE, but I'm having hard time with that protection-wise. With a dino oil, 5w30 is as thin as I'd want to go.

THat's Mopars Spec as well as Hondas and some Fords, now I know it's weird but from the #s posted it looks like it does fine in the protection department. All the majors are switching to that I've heard it's more to protect from sludge than CAFE but who knows it'a a warranty requirement.

The possibility, although remote, exists that a lazy service writer or lazy programming spits out a receipt for 10w30 even if another weight was installed. The free redo is their way of placating the customer when their mistake was noticed.

The same premise is you sometimes get "billed" for 5 quarts even if you only get 3.5. Of course you'll get overfilled with a tiny sump often too. The change includes "up to five quarts" so the 5 quarts on the receipt is a lazy place-holding number.

I would not be excited about getting dealer 10w30 which is probably Coastal or Superflo or some knuckle dragging low bidder group I cocktail.

offtopic.gif
I was going through a pile of quickie lube receipts for one of my saturns and they put in 10w30 in december then 5w30 in march.
banghead.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back