Dealer visit today: no oil brand or viscosity on invoice.

Background:
I have a Hyundai Motors Premium Maint Plan which includes Synthetic Oil. This pkg was bought in tandem with an extended B2B warranty for up to 75k miles or 7 years and includes quite a few attractive niceties.

Today I went in for the scheduled tire rotation and during the visit, was convinced to also do the included oil change. Regardless of having my receipts for DIY changes, said the Svc Writer, any engine oil related warranty work would be made easier if the customer has done all maintenance work in house...especially if it's already been paid for. So I agreed. After the work was done, the invoice did state all the particulars except it didn't have viscosity or brand of motor oil. It only stated Synthetic Oil change and quantity.

But you know what?! It didn't and doesn't bother me one bit and I have no explanation why. Now you can banish me to the cellar dungeons of bitog.
The hilarious part is Hyundai will try to void a warranty when a customer uses so-called “non approved” oil filters & oil, I think they need to team up with the local Ford dealers in a “stealership” competition to see who’s the biggest thieves…

I think that if you keep the service intervals in check, ANY oil the dealer puts in your Hyundai will get you to the usable life of the vehicle.

It's not a Maserati.

We take our Tuscon to Hyundai dealer for Oil Change because its $30 and they get me in and out in 30 minutes. My invoice indicates 5w30 semi synthetic oil, Hyundai Filter Element, and Drain Plug gasket.

Unknown brand.

According to my experience they always give DuraMax 5w-20, but I only ask for syn-blend and not sure if they will use that brand in full syn option.

Last edited:
Background:
I have a Hyundai Motors Premium Maint Plan which includes Synthetic Oil. This pkg was bought in tandem with an extended B2B warranty for up to 75k miles or 7 years and includes quite a few attractive niceties.

Today I went in for the scheduled tire rotation and during the visit, was convinced to also do the included oil change. Regardless of having my receipts for DIY changes, said the Svc Writer, any engine oil related warranty work would be made easier if the customer has done all maintenance work in house...especially if it's already been paid for. So I agreed. After the work was done, the invoice did state all the particulars except it didn't have viscosity or brand of motor oil. It only stated Synthetic Oil change and quantity.

But you know what?! It didn't and doesn't bother me one bit and I have no explanation why. Now you can banish me to the cellar dungeons of bitog.
Now that it doesn't bother you, it may just cause the engine to blow 🤣

The reason for this is because dealer uses a different viscosity than what's stated on oil cap but still has appropriate approvals. Customer complains and wants a complete refund, an extended warranty because wrong oil was used, etc...

The reason for this is because dealer uses a different viscosity than what's stated on oil cap but still has appropriate approvals. Customer complains and wants a complete refund, an extended warranty because wrong oil was used, etc...
Yet, if a customer used a viscosity that wasn't stated on the oil cap and something went wrong with the engine not even oil related, they would try to deny warranty for "using the wrong oil".

That’s because you know with any modern API (or ACEA) motor oil, it doesn’t matter one bit for 99% of applications. It could be a 0W20 synthetic or a 10W30 mineral, and for any reasonable interval (OCI) and for any reasonable temperature range, you will be completely fine.

I came to BITOG year’s ago to find “the best oil for my car”, I now buy almost any oil, based mostly on price, because I know almost anything will work for my application. Your price of $0 was very reasonable, I would have said yes as well.
Will probably need a new motor regardless of what oil is used. ;)

Back