Dealer using 5W20 in Phoenix AZ!!!!

I need advice on whether to continue using my Chrysler dealer. I drive a Chrysler Pacifica with a 3.5 litre HO motor that is clearly labeled on the oil filler cap as 10W-30. The Chrysler dealer here in Phoenix only has bulk 5W-20 and that's it. It's been around 115F for the past month and 5W-20 seems too light of a grade for the car. What do you guys think. I've read a lot on this forum but still unable to decide. I'm a 3k OCI kind of guy. Need advice...Please

Sounds like your dealer is doing a good job in ordering the right stuff for their line. The 5w20 will do fine, it is not substantially different enough from a 10w30 to worry about. Energy conserving is energy conserving that means a 5w20 is a 5w30 is a 10w30 is a 0w20. The differences between these grades are nominal only.

Last edited:
It's fine... If you car is speced for a 20wt, it will be just fine. Thicker in high heat is only better in some cases, like racing applications, and even then they sometimes run a very thin oil. Drive happy!

Originally Posted By: StevieC
It's fine... If you car is speced for a 20wt, it will be just fine. Thicker in high heat is only better in some cases, like racing applications, and even then they sometimes run a very thin oil. Drive happy!
Yes, but his engine specifies a 10W30.

Dump the dealer....NOW! I can't believe this idiot is not following the manual. I would report him to the corporate big-wigs at Chrysler and go elsewhere for all your vehicle needs. 5w-20 is too light in any weather....per the manufacturer. Geez, it's a shame that he can stay in business with an arrogant mind set like this. Like a freakin dealer can ONLY get 5w-20!! Sorry man...stuff like that just ticks me off.

Last edited:
I wonder if Chrysler has published a service bulletin back specking 5W20 for that engine similar to what Ford did. Anyone know if that is the case?

Oil pan capacity and predicted oil operation temperature adjustments? I don't know but it makes very little difference. The viscosity rating is at 100c wich is much hotter than even the sump of a street driven car in arizona should reach so the difference between a 5w20 and 10w30 becomes even less significant than the average 2 cst at 100c

M1Ark

Originally Posted By: Tim H.
It is probably ok to run, but I would ask why the dealer is using it, unless your owners manual specifies/allows it's use.
I complained to the service writer who called the Dodge dealer across the street and called a Chrysler dealer in Mesa, AZ. They all claim 5W-20 is all they carry and it's what is required by Chrysler in the Phoenix area. I asked about the 10W-30 on my oil filler cap and he said the extreme heat is why Chrysler is recommending 5W-20. I wrote an email to the service manager to formally complain and met with silence.

Really? With 195F thermostats that are not fully open until around 210F I can't imagine the oil being much cooler than that, espically with longer operating cycles.

Lots of cars/engines that were 10w30 LAST year and the year before etc. are now 5w20 THIS year.Don't make such a big thing over it.If YOU want 10w30 then go buy it yourself.Obvisouly 10w30 is NOT wildly used any more.

Originally Posted By: M1Ark
 Originally Posted By: Tim H.
It is probably ok to run, but I would ask why the dealer is using it, unless your owners manual specifies/allows it's use.
I complained to the service writer who called the Dodge dealer across the street and called a Chrysler dealer in Mesa, AZ. They all claim 5W-20 is all they carry and it's what is required by Chrysler in the Phoenix area. I asked about the 10W-30 on my oil filler cap and he said the extreme heat is why Chrysler is recommending 5W-20. I wrote an email to the service manager to formally complain and met with silence.
Talk about backwards. So since you're in a very hot climate which thins the oil, they recommend a thinner oil to protect from the thinning? I would find another dealer. That's crazy. Maybe in the winter you can run a straight 60wt too.

M1Ark

My only concern is most of my driving is 80-85 in 115-117f weather. I guess the thermostat will still keep the oil and coolant at the set temperature.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
Lots of cars/engines that were 10w30 LAST year and the year before etc. are now 5w20 THIS year.Don't make such a big thing over it.If YOU want 10w30 then go buy it yourself.Obvisouly 10w30 is NOT wildly used any more.
True the 3.8 in my jeep was 10w30 for a long time in the minivans and now is 5w20. There is really no difference other than 5w20 is a more up to date spec. I think they are fairly interchangeable but consider 5w20 the better choice. I will and am running 10w30 and 5w30 in the jeep becasue I have it but when that is gone it is back to the 5w20.

Originally Posted By: M1Ark
My only concern is most of my driving is 80-85 in 115-117f weather. I guess the thermostat will still keep the oil and coolant at the set temperature.
Oil is not regulated so it will still run hotter in the hot ambient temps. I lived in Mesa and believe me, my car with an oil temp guage showed the difference in temps. I know you're new to this board but you'll find that there are people that will recommend a 20wt for anything and everything regardless of ambient temps, manufacturer's recommendation, and driving style.