Dealer Troubles

My thoughts exactly, and how it would have been handled when I worked there.

"Fixed" TDIs have 10/120 or 4/48 post fix, whichever is greater.

While that's very informative, it doesn't really tell me anything. Although I suppose you have a valid gripe against the dealership, in theory you should have all the info at hand to determine if it's covered or not. Usually warranty booklet would tell you exactly what is and isn't covered.

The car's already together, which is what frustrates me. The repair is complete.

I would love to know how the tech is getting treated in this scenario. Is he getting paid to reinstall the old parts? Will he even get paid time for the initial repair?

While that's very informative, it doesn't really tell me anything. Although I suppose you have a valid gripe against the dealership, in theory you should have all the info at hand to determine if it's covered or not. Usually warranty booklet would tell you exactly what is and isn't covered.
Unfortunately the warranty information provided to the customer is vague. The information booklet says the EGR system is covered. Internal documentation says the EGR coolant pump is not.

It's shouldn't be my job to double check the dealer. They said it was covered and I'm going to do my best to hold them to it. If it wasn't covered the time to discover that and tell me so was before I authorized the work.

Attachments

• VWCourtSettlement_Emissions_Disclosure_3L_Gen1_SubGen2_Final.pdf
    680.7 KB · Views: 12
Unfortunately the warranty information provided to the customer is vague. The information booklet says the EGR system is covered. Internal documentation says the EGR coolant pump is not.

It's shouldn't be my job to double check the dealer. They said it was covered and I'm going to do my best to hold them to it. If it wasn't covered the time to discover that and tell me so was before I authorized the work.
You're being vague. Do you have documentation that the EGR system is covered but VW's internal documentation says the pump is not? Or does the internal documentation you have says that the pump is not covered? If the former, you have a case against VW, if the later, then you have no case.

They are doing the correct thing by saying that they will restore it to the previous condition because of their error. You are expecting an error free world and it just doesn't work that way.

You're being vague. Do you have documentation that the EGR system is covered but VW's internal documentation says the pump is not? Or does the internal documentation you have says that the pump is not covered? If the former, you have a case against VW, if the later, then you have no case.

They are doing the correct thing by saying that they will restore it to the previous condition because of their error. You are expecting an error free world and it just doesn't work that way.
It's how mistakes are handled that separates one business from another.

I think it would be fair if they ate the labor and you paid for the part. Seems ridiculous they would reinstall the old part.
I was going to suggest the same. They are in for the labor to put it on and now the labor to take it off and putting the original one back on ! Not too smart on their part. Of course, then they'll try and make it up in a "new" price for the part ("oh sorry, we made a mistake on the price...").

I attached the warranty information to my post. It says, under parts covered:

"The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system, including EGR valve, EGR bypass valve, EGR cooler, EGR filter, all related hoses and pipes, and all sensors and actuators"

The dealer, and later the VW rep, informed me today that the pump is not covered according to their documentation. The dealer found out because VW would not let them bill the parts and labor on the RO.

So again, I had no reason to believe it wasn't covered. The dealer also told me it was covered. Now they're looking for money and want me to pay for their mistake.

I would love to know how the tech is getting treated in this scenario. Is he getting paid to reinstall the old parts? Will he even get paid time for the initial repair?
What the **** ?? :LOL: That was another question I had ! Can techs flip from hourly to whatever pay system they use a lot ? No way the tech can be hurt in this situation - he/she doesn't have anything to do with knowing what's covered by warranty or not.

My hang up is that they told me it was covered and didn't find out it wasn't until the repair was completed and they tried to bill VW on the RO.

Now it's somehow my fault. If it wasn't covered I wouldn't have authorized the repair.
Similar stuff a Cadillac dealer pulled when I brought in a car for timing chains. Car throwing codes for that and they said it would be covered under the 100K powertrain warranty. Later in the day they say the engine is sludged up and won't be covered. Either pay $500 to put it back together to how it was brought in or pay $2,000 to do the job. After some back and forth, I agreed to pay one hour labor and I would tow it out of there and finish the job myself. Yes it was sludged but they should have looked in the oil cap or at least pulled a valve cover before going any further or telling me it's covered.

I think the main issue is that's it's a Volkswagen. Does anybody buys these cars and not expect issues? II mean I know there are exceptions....but........

I think the main issue is that's it's a Volkswagen. Does anybody buys these cars and not expect issues? II mean I know there are exceptions....but........
Obviously I expect issues with the car. Any car will have problems. EGR problems and leaks are not exclusive to VW.

The behavior of this dealer is what has me frustrated. It doesn't fit my past experience them. I do not make a habit of patronizing slimy businesses.

Obviously I expect issues with the car. Any car will have problems. EGR problems and leaks are not exclusive to VW.

The behavior of this dealer is what has me frustrated. It doesn't fit my past experience them. I do not make a habit of patronizing slimy businesses.

Hopefully things get taken care of under warranty.

the pump is clearly part of the EGR system, which is emissions related.
Just decline to pay & they'll probably pretend they 'undid' the job & everyone's happy. Except the dealership owner who could probably
handle the hit for a pump he paid $109. USD wholesale for..........

Solution seems simple if they don’t just say yeah we messed up. Pay their wholesale price for the part so a tech isn’t tied up undoing the job.

Win-win, they don’t pay the tech twice and you pay what they pay for the part.

Hopefully they just say we said it was covered so we will eat it because we value you as a customer...

It might be one of those things where the emissions warranty covers it so no need for coverage on the extended warranty.

Back