Dealer Tactic

I am looking at an Infiniti QX 30. They only made them in 2018 and 2019. My question is will the dealer charge me a lot because of
the limited availability or be fair just to get rid of it? Thank you
Now is an absolute terrible time to buy a vehicle new or used. If you can wait 12 to 18 months-MAYBE you will avoid the current nonsense.

Infiniti may have only made this model for (2) years because it wasn't popular. It's not like it's a "limited edition", i.e. special model.

Like CKN said, now is a terrible time to buy a new/used car but if you have to, you have to. Check prices - use a website like cars.com, edmunds.com, etc) and see what prices are in a 250-mile range. If they're out of line, it's because they're greedy (hehe, capitalism), not because of this particular model.

You seem to think you can "psych" the dealer into giving you a good deal, perhaps due to an arbitrage of information, eg you not disclosing the rarity of this car.

IDK. If you can find two of these on two different lots you'll get two different results, and not for reasons you can predict. One might have been sitting there for four months and the manager put an extra spiff on it.

Want cheap? Start low, don't get attached, and walk away from a bad deal.

The only "tactic" I recommend is doing a straight deal (no trade), get a low OTD price, but take their financing, ensure there's no pre-payment penalty and pay it off when you get the first bill.

Yeah, you're over thinking it. It depends on the dealer. Some just look at the book valve and price accordingly and some go way over book. The answer is that it depends. It's why I like buying Mercedes, book value relative to list price tends to be low and the book doesn't take into account some of the rarer options so a loaded one with 7-8 options is almost the same price as one that only has 2-3. They normally just go by the mileage and there's only 2-3 options that add value, anything else is a freebie but they might price it toward the higher end of the range.

If I was selling a used car right now, the price would be set to each and every premium feature and package I could use to squeeze any extra dollar out of the buyer. Limited supply of new - used cars right now. If you have a rare model in this climate, you put the price on.

Or maybe not, who knows how they run things there.

BTW: I usually look the salesman straight in the eyes and piss on their legs to establish dominance, it works every time.

Now is an absolute terrible time to buy a vehicle new or used. If you can wait 12 to 18 months-MAYBE you will avoid the current nonsense.
I cannot stress this enough. This is the weirdest most upside down used car market I have ever seen. When I am having meetings with my GM who has been in the business 40+ years, he says the same thing.

I cannot stress this enough. This is the weirdest most upside down used car market I have ever seen. When I am having meetings with my GM who has been in the business 40+ years, he says the same thing.
Short term business and other decisions have come home to roost. We didn't get here overnight and we will not fix it overnight.

QX 30s are very nice and well made CUVs.
They also feature a small, but excellent Mercedes Benz sourced Turbo motor which to me is an interesting feature.

Also not everyone has one.

I would have to believe some dealers would be fair with the price. In other words KBB value more than likely at the top of the range. People are seeing their 401K's dropping, inflation, wars, and increasing interest rates on borrowed money. It will only be a matter of time and you will be able to pick up a great deal on any used car. This won't be today but it will happen the way things are going.

Was at my local Mazda dealer yesterday. The lot was loaded with new SUVs. Not one new Mazda3, Mazda6 or Miata in sight.
With the recent increases in gas prices, I think there will soon be deals on SUVs and trucks.

I would have to believe some dealers would be fair with the price. In other words KBB value more than likely at the top of the range. People are seeing their 401K's dropping, inflation, wars, and increasing interest rates on borrowed money. It will only be a matter of time and you will be able to pick up a great deal on any used car. This won't be today but it will happen the way things are going.
This is going to run parallel to the new car market. Used cars won't see any relief until there is more widespread availability of new vehicles for purchase. As I mentioned before-I know a person who SOLD her Explorer to Carmax for what she felt was an excellent price-around $17,000.00 (had 100,00 miles on it). Within two days Carmax had it for sale locally at $27,995.00 Got to feel that's much more than Bluebook with that spread.

I just emailed my local Toyota Dealer. They are still two thousand over sticker on every thing but Tundras-Tundra markups are higher still.

Back