dealer service reaction to fuel dilution

we have a 2019 ioniq. my son drives it. i noticed that the last time i checked the oil that it was 1/4 inch above the full line. when we change the oil we keep it half way between the high and low lines. i drained the excess oil back to the 1/2 way mark on the stick which ended up to be slightly less than 1/2 quart.

i have mad an appointment with the hyundai dealer to check it out. i am curious on how they will handle this kind of issue. i tired to call them and ask them ,but all i get was a leave a message but no one called back. so i ended up making a appointment online.

So those that suspected a fuel dilution issue and took it back to the dealer, how did they react and handle it? i have read that they change the oil and seal it up. i have also read they think you are nuts and blow you off.

we have a 2019 ioniq. my son drives it. i noticed that the last time i checked the oil that it was 1/4 inch above the full line. when we change the oil we keep it half way between the high and low lines. i drained the excess oil back to the 1/2 way mark on the stick which ended up to be slightly less than 1/2 quart.

i have mad an appointment with the hyundai dealer to check it out. i am curious on how they will handle this kind of issue. i tired to call them and ask them ,but all i get was a leave a message but no one called back. so i ended up making a appointment online.

So those that suspected a fuel dilution issue and took it back to the dealer, how did they react and handle it? i have read that they change the oil and seal it up. i have also read they think you are nuts and blow you off.

It's a waste of everybody's time. I am sure you knew the nature of these motors going in.

I think I heard about this with GDI engines. It was a leaky high pressure fuel pump/line or something like that

CarLuver, I'd quit draining out oil to level off the oil. You are in fact making things worse by doing so.
As I've said before on here, what you don't know wont hurt you.

And please come back and detail us how the dealer handled it. There are far, far too many threads with people having an issue, going online to ask
"what could it be" only to never come back and share what the issue was.

And please come back and detail us how the dealer handled it. There are far, far too many threads with people having an issue, going online to ask
"what could it be" only to never come back and share what the issue was.
Yes, many people do not update. I doubt the dealer will do anything in this situation. Dealerships like to kick the can.

The dealer will follow the direction of the automaker which may include a simple diagnosis to make sure fuel trims are within spec.

Remember it's the automaker who pays the dealers on warranty work.
This.

How many miles are on the oil ?
How soon before your next planned oil change (OLM) ?

As others have said, "get the oil analyzed for % of fuel dilution.
As the pandemic has taught us, follow the numbers.

I think I heard about this with GDI engines. It was a leaky high pressure fuel pump/line or something like that
GDI engines by design are fuel dilluters since some fuel droplets will hit the cylinder walls as an inherent part of their design, made worse by cars that are used primarily for short trips in colder climates.

GDI engine, my bet is they'll treat it just like oil use in FI or DI engines, and call it normal 99.9% of the time. Then send you packing.

GDI engines by design are fuel dilluters since some fuel droplets will hit the cylinder walls as an inherent part of their design, made worse by cars that are used primarily for short trips in colder climates.
These are the videos I found that made me think of the high pressure fuel pump. If anything, I believe they will at least help the OP find the right questions to ask about what's going on.

The videos comments are informative too.

Last edited:
These are the videos I found that made me think of the high pressure fuel pump. If anything, I believe they will at least help the OP find the right questions to ask about what's going on.

The videos comments are informative too.

The OP didn't say they're having any other problem just that the oil is too high, fuel dilution on GDI engines is a well known problem, Honda had to release a service bulletin once because some of their GDI engines are so bad about diluting the oil with fuel that those engines have the same problem the OP has where the oil will end up overfull on the dipstick which they said is a non-issue.

the ioniq has almost 40k miles on it and gets 5k mile oil changes religiously. i check the oil often and this is the first time in the 40k miles that this has happened. car gets warmed up as my son, even though its a hybrid, drives it spiritedly . the oil level was up when i checked it with 3986 miles on the oil .

i made an appointment for the middle of next month as that was all that was available.

Tell your son to take the car for a longer drive every few weeks and get rid of the fuel in the oil.

Those are not great engines. You will not get dealer support. My ex had the same issue and traded for a honda instead.

Back